Gall bladder removed in January.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had my gb removed in January with open surgery, I still get pain all along my scar, feel every bump in the road when out in the car, also I suffer from bowel problems, I have been on loperamide ( Imodium) since, my gp has told me I cannot have any more until after I have had a scan. I cannot go out some mornings because of need to be near a loo!! Anyone else got this problem??

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi grannysyl I had mine removed in December also by open surgery. I don't have the pain along the scar but have some pain were the gallbladder was. I also had diarrhea too and have been taking caltrate calcium 600 d tablets and psyllium husk powder. I couldn't stomach the immodium. You could try the caltrate 600 d tablets by taking half a tablet 3 times a day with food and if don't see much difference after 5-7 days you can take 1 full tablet 3 times a day with food. The calcium works by soaking up the bile therefore solidifying the stools. Have you diarrhea all the time or just in the morning? A lot of people get it in the beginning and it usually settles down within a few months however for some it can take 6-12 months to settle down. I know some people that had it for 9 months and then it stopped. I hope you feel better soon. Take care xx
    • Posted

Hi acejohnston,

yes I just seem to suffer in the mornings, also I should say I am diabetic so I was told it would take longer to heal, I am waiting for a scan appointment. I have never had much patience lol! I hate feeling tired and sore all the time! 

• Posted

I know exactly how you feel. I'm get impatient too and found this whole experience a nightmare. Please try the caltrate as it will definitely help the diarrhea and works for so many. It's worth a try and also good for the bones! I also had a scan which showed nothing and was told it would all settle down. There are many of us going through this so your not on your own. Take care x
    • Posted

Hi Acejohnston, 

it's  so good to hear from someone going through the same thing! Thank you! Will try caltrate, do I get it from gp or can you buy it?

• Posted

You can get it from your local pharmacy/ drugstore. I know boots definitely sell them if your in the UK but most pharmacies sell them as they are a popular calcium brand. Are you able to eat much at all? Did you have gallstones or a diseased gallbladder? It's terrible we are not told of these side effects prior to surgery and so many suffer afterwards. The caltrate will help you get your life back. I heard about them from a woman who had her gallbladder removed in the US over 30 years ago who had diarrhea everyday after the operation and had all the tests and tried all the drugs but couldn't find anything that worked and by chance was diagnosed with osteoporosis and was given the caltrate and she couldn't believe it her diarrhea stopped!! She's been taking them ever since! I hope you'll feel better soon and remember your not alone. Take care xx
  • Posted

I had my gallbladder removed 3 weeks ago. I have had afew episodes of diarrhoea since especially first thing in the morning, but this is settling down.

Take care and keep in touch

Love Sarah xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.