gall stones operation.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Ive had a ultrasound and it showed i have several gallstones. GP has referred me to see a consultant to arrange an operation to have them out. does anyone know how long the wait is? 

I would never wish this pain on anyone!! it's really painful!! can't wait till i get it out!! does anyone else suffer with gallstones that can help with the pain, im on codeine, buscopan, paracetamol.... feels like the list goes on.... xx

2 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I really feel for you. Had mine out in July. And that is the only relief, having it taken out.

Get on a cancelation list and hopefully you can get moved up

Best Wishes

• Posted

I remember very well that awful pain! I went the nxt wk, got an ultrasound and immediately was set up the next week for surgery! the only thing that helped my pain was my diet. Soups, ice cream helped . Nothing rough, no cheese products or milk. Hope you get your surgery soon!
  • Posted

Had a stone removed as an emergency, so that was quick. On waiting list to remove further stone and gallbladder. That was 3 weeks ago, anytime up til Nov. And been in and out of hospital since. Varies on each area, also on cancellation list, I am hoping it will work for me. Good luck

• Posted

yes, I am sure where you live and your insurance situation has a lot to do with how fast your treatment goes. My question is why did they not just go ahead and take your gallbladder while in therre for just one stone? I do not understand this. If you are going toi have to wait--watch what you eat carefully!!
    • Posted

Not a straight op for me as risk factures higher. May do open SURGERY. Was out of my area when last attack happened and did not want to interfere with what was being planed for me back home. Just have to wait and be patient. Already on low fat etc . For a long time.

• Posted

Okay, I understand. You do know this is done mostly with laser. Just a small incision. Thi is the way it is done by most doctors. Good luck to yuo. Let me know when you have your surgery!
    • Posted

Yes understand how they do it. Thanks for caring nd Will let you know how it goes.
  • Posted

I got a  compound from my naturopath that included herbs for relaxing smooth muscle function to stop the spasms. (Diascoria, Viburnum and Khella...in the US we can buy tinctures at the healthfood store but they are a bit expensive.) Don't drink any thing with tonic water, quinine increases the spasms.  Do not eat any fat if you can avoid it, try to go animal protein free until your surgery.  Some docs in the U.S. recommend a three day fast before surgery to reduce swelling and irritation to the organ before surgery.  I lost seven pounds in the two weeks of attacks before surgery but since I went to urgent care, I was able to have my surgery 2 days after being seen.  (I am not sure what the equivilant is in the UK.  I paid $2,350.00 for my portion of the costs since I have good insurance, for which I pay $1,400 a mo.  that is the flip side of my

health care system.)

• Posted

yes, I have heard of those compounds. They are good. $1400 a month? WOW! Too high for me, but I am glad for you.
  • Posted

You are strongly recommended to remove the gallstones only if all with your gallbladder is ok and never accept gallbladder removal that is known as laparoscopic Cholecystectomy
    • Posted

I have not heard that since my gallbladder was removed years ago. That may be true today. I would question though if my gallbladder was not removed, what would prevent the stones from forming again and causing me pain? Personally, if I were facing this sugery today, I would reject just the gallstones out. I would want the whole gallbladder out. But that is me. 
    • Posted

so you have no gallstone now and you can do nothing instead of following very low fat diet.

Also this is a must to check again the liver, etc by ultrasound, CT or MRCP as well as blood test to see why you have this pain.

The only solution to prevent gallstone  after gallstone removal is following a normal fat diet as well as using the drugs that solve the small stones before recreation.

• Posted

Thanks for the infromation that answers my question. I love this forum. We ask questions and get answers that are correct. I love to learn new things. thank you again.biggrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.