gallbladder

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello All,

well it's now 6 days since I had my Gallbladder removed. A little difficult as I also had adhesions so procedure took a little longer than expected. Was a day case, was in hospital for 12 hours before being discharged. First 24 hours the pain was chronic in the shoulder far worse than the op, but it improved and by saturday had completely gone. Taking 400mg Ibuprofen and 500mg paracetamol tabs and they help with the pain. Have the occasional loose bowel but nothing drastic. As for diet hospital advised low fat, no fries, no yogurts, skimmed milk only, small amount of fibre cereal, plenty of fruit etc. Not dissimilar to what others have been advised. Not yet confident to get behind the wheel leaving that till later in week. The four wounds I have are healing nicely but do occasionally turn a bit quickly and pull the one by my tummy button,ouch! Just have to be carefull sitting down and getting up, and not lifting.

Otherwise at the moment touch wood all seems ok. Took me a couple of days to realise that although keyhole, it is still major surgery, thought I'd be back at work today, but that's a no no...idiot!!! Told recovery could be over 4 weeks, and told not to rush it. Could be ready for work two weeks after op, provided I was on light duties, which should not be an issue. But will review beginning next week. So really taking each day as it comes.Do get tired quickly and catknap a lot,but think that is only to be expected. The real bonus for me was not having to stay in hospital more then the day. As long as I keep to the light diet over the next coming weeks and don't pig it I hope all will be ok. If anything changes I'll let you know.

So good luck to all you fellow suffers and hope you all have a speedy recovery.

4 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Glad to hear all is going well and your looking after yourself regards being careful with food and taking it easy. Hope it stays that way for you. Just be aware that you may get aches and pains once you stop taking the meds.
  • Posted

Hi Alistair

Hoping for a speedy recovery for you!

You are right though, that it takes longer for the insides to heal

so avoid any lifting or bending and just chill out for next 6-8weeks!

My friend did not listen to docs advice about lifting and bending

and is going back in to hospital to repair a large hernia that

developed in one of the scar sights, her surgeon was not a happy

person!

I drove a short distance after 4weeks(I am at 9weeks) but I am not

your typical healthy subject!  It was too soon for me so had to stop

and go back to basics which was worth it!

Got online shopping delivered. did a lot of sleeping and could not

sleep on my right side until last week but felt it in the morning!

Have kept to the low fat diet as I have got used to it  and I am losing

some weight which is good.....but all in all feel

so much better since they removed that horrible gall bladdercheesygrin

Good Luck Alistair for a speedy recovery!

• Posted

Hi glad to here that your recovery is going well. I had my gallbladder removed a week ago today. My 3 incisions are healing fine I do have pain just below my right ribcage but it is improving. I was taking Paracetamol and Codeine which was making me feel quite sick. I can now lay on my right side with no problem and just a little discomfort when I lay on my left. Thankfully, thus far, I have not had the dreaded post operative diarrhoea and I have a good appetite! Looking forward to life without those debilitating gallbladder attacks
    • Posted

Thanks Jana, it can only get better. Curious as to why you had three incisions, I had four. Two on my right side, one just above tummy button and the other about 8" above that. I can only sleep on my back anyway. So tomorrow decided I must have an attempt to drive the car, my wife will be with me just in case!!

Otherwise it seems to be all looking good for us not that I want to attempt fate.

best wishes

• Posted

At least you were told about the low fat diet. Some people we're not told about. I had my op on Nov. 11. The cut in the belly button is the worst found out today that's where they cut the deepest. Bending isn't much funny and lefty heavy to drains me. I'm still cat napping myself.

When I get out for awhile I walk an old snail. Still can't walk like I use too. Now I got a bug and have a temp. Just had my post op visit with the surgeon. He was happy with wait he saw. Wasn't happy that I still was having pain. He said might be because of my fibro, fibro can making the healing go slower.

Yes don't over eat. I hope you're back to work soon just don't go back to soon. I take on day at a time too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.