Gallbladder 4th day post op

Posted , 10 users are following.

Day 4 of recovery and I do not feel any better than I did before the surgery. I have no appetite, and when I try to eat I feel like I’m going to throw up. My stomach is bloated and swollen and I feel so tired all the time. I’m so tired of sitting inside and laying down and forcing myself to walk. 

The incisions are fine, they are healing fine, and I’m still a little sore. But the soreness has nothing in the fact that I can’t enjoy food and have energy. I go back to work in another day and I’m so discouraged and I just want to feel normal again. I’m starting to get depressed and feel like I’m never going to get better.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I had my gallbladder removed in March. The first couple of weeks were tough, but around the third week I started feeling much better. I know it’s hard, especially having to go back to work. But it will get better.

Best of luck!

• Posted

Hi Anita, had the same feeling I was in the hospital for 3 days and lost weight because of not eating very much for a couple weeks. I'm a little over 3 weeks now and starting to feel a little better but still only 60% everyone is different it takes time to heal

I felt just like you I was bloated, sore and just felt awful, but I'm feeling better each week that passes. Hang in there it will get better stay positive you will heal.

• Posted

You've had major surgery!  Getting one's gallbladder removed can take more than 6 weeks to recover from, some people take months.  Whoever told you 4 days were enough to recover from this surgery gave you extremely bad medical advice.  

External incisions heal sooner than internal ones.  And your body has to learn how to function without a gallbladder.

You need to give yourself sufficient time to rest and heal. 

• Posted

Hi i myself had surgery on wednesday so that makes it 4 days too think i slept better last night feel mostly soreness around the incisions and gas inside my stomach feels very bubbly

I was taking norco for pain but i think it was too strong for me was making me feel dizzy and lightheaded since i wasnt eating much been surviving on chicken broth crackers jello apple juice water today i had lentil soup it was yummy and i think it sat well im trying to take it easy but is hard since i have four kids 15 year old twins a five year old and a 3 month old so yeah i get what you mean about being depressed stuck to a bed but hopefully we recover soon i hear everyone is different and i also heard the first week is the worst i see my surgeon on tuesday hopefully everything is ok good luck on your first visit as well

• Posted

I wanted to know how your holding up?

I'm still in the no appetite, upset stomach part. I contacted my surgeon today and he said this is normal, and some people have a longer recovery time than others. I'm hoping to see a light at the end of the tunnel soon.

Hope you're doing well!

• Posted

I think you have probably underestimated the seriousness of the surgery you have had.  It is major surgery and takes time for the body to recover.  It takes two days for the anaesthetic to wear off!  No way should you be going back to work yet.  It should be at least two weeks before going back and even then it depends what you do.  You certainly are not yet ready to be driving.  It will take some weeks before your energy returns.  Just be kind to yourself and give your body time to recover.
  • Posted

you have only just had major surgery,recovery can take months even years,you must rest,lots water, you shouldnt be going back to work yet, can damage yourself internally,no lifting,forget excercise,   who told you recover within a week,what planet are they on,
  • Posted

I was told that 5 to 7 days was enough time to be able to go back to work. I am a bank teller, so I wouldn’t be lifting much of anything, most just moving my arms and standing. I honestly don’t feel ready to go back but I don’t really have a choice. Maybe getting out of the house and trying to start normalcy again will help. 

I’m so ready to feel normal again.. ☹️

• Posted

Is it normal to still have a lack of appetite and upset stomach? It will be a week tomorrow.  I apologize for being such a baby about this, but I've been dealing with not being able to eat since the beginning of June. Needless to say its really taking a toll on me... sad

• Posted

I never realized how hard not having a gallbladder would be.  I had troubles with my incisions after surgery, so my doc had me on a high protein diet for 3 weeks.  I could tolerate the food and maybe you should try to eat a high protein for a bit and see if that settles your stomach.   He said I could eat turkey, eggs, avacado, yogurt, cottage cheese and a little almonds.  I remember that I didn't feel sick - bored by just eating that.  Also its best to eat 5-6 small meals a day and not 3 big ones.

I do hope after you go back to work, you will rest when you get home.

• Posted

Hi,

I’m 2.5 weeks after my gal bladder removal.  I have to say first 2 weeks were tough.  I to still get so tired.  I honestly think you haven’t given yourself enough time to recover and going back to work so soon is probably a bit to optimistic.  Hope you start to feel better soon but don’t be to hard on yourself.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.