Gallbladder abdominal pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

July last year i went into hospital was in for week in a lot of pain. I was on morphine tramadol and paracetamol. They found i had sludge in my gallbladder an was told i will have follow up an have to watch what i am eating.. i had a big detox an watched what i ate.. i was feeling better an gone back to my usual eating.. i have the pain back high abdominal right side that wont go.. gets worse at night lying down and when i went swimming i couldn't carry on it hurt that much. Been for a ultrasound to day and they have told me its fine and can't see no sludge. I was so sensitive when they were given me a ultrasound an it really hurt and hurt when i breath in.. can anyone help??

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

seems you might have a low functioning gb or gallstones. Mine started with dull pain before 7 years back  with hida scan showing non working gb and slowly over the years run in to lot of digestion issues and finally gallstones are formed now.
    • Posted

Ahh thankyou.. but wouldnt of this shown on the ultrasound? Did you have any utrasounds?
    • Posted

ultrasound in 2011 showed no stones. But hida scan showed my gb was not working. In 2017 , i did ultrasound there is lot of stones.
  • Posted

I could have written this! 

Had an attack December 2016 and was doubled up for about 9 hours, sweat pouring off me and no painkillers helping. Went to GP and unfortunately wasn’t my actual GP as she was on holiday. This GP said it was a UTI. Felt horrendous for the next 2 weeks!

Fast forward to April 2017 and had another attack but this time I had yellow stools so kinda knew it was gallbladder related at that point. Got scanned end of May and my GP phoned the following day to say there were small gallstones on the scan which can cause more problems than bigger ones. I’d been advised to eat very low fat but didn’t eat much anyway. She referred me to surgeons to get the gallbladder out as it was continuing to cause issues despite the low fat diet.

Was admitted for a week in July with severe abdominal pain and high temperature. Got scanned again and they couldn’t see any stones but the ragiographer commented on the scan results that I was very tender over the gallbladder area when being scanned. The consultant didn’t think it was gallbladder related but other one sent me for a HIDA scan. This showed my gallbladder wasn’t functioning as well as it should be. I got put on the waiting list for surgery a little while after this. 2 days after seeing surgeon I was admitted to hospital again. Had yet another ultrasound and they think they could see small stones again. Yet again was same consultant who said it wasn’t gallbladder so ended up with a CT scan and endoscopy (to humour him and prove it wasn’t a stomach ulcer or gastritis). Consultants changed just as I’d had the CT scan. This one (same one who ordered HIDA scan) asked if I’d been back at work in the time since the 2 hospital admissions, which I hadn’t. He put me on his list for the next day!

In total I had 3 ultrasounds, endoscopy, HIDA scan, CT scan and 2 weeks in hospital before I got the gallbladder out. Was definitely the right call though as felt so much better when it was taken out. My GP knows I don’t go there unless I’m really not well. And had been there at least once a week in agony.

Ask for a HIDA scan? And hope you get sorted soon! xx

• Posted

Ah thankyou for sharing that with me i.. i didnt understand how they said it was fine when i have been in so much pain. I know something isnt right. I am going to try back at doctors.
    • Posted

Definitely go back. My GP hadn’t heard of a HIDA scan so had to wait for surgical decision when thI results came in. You should definitely push for further investigations to be done. Like you I knew my own body and knew there was something really wrong. Not normal to be in that much pain and have constant extreme nausea that no anti sickness/nausea medication helped xx
  • Posted

Lauramc.

go back to your g p 

and push and push and push for !!!

an mrcp scan !

a ct scan !

full blood Work up including and not limited to. Lft,s white blood cell count, amalase, lipase.

and remember G P stands for general prick. 

‘That’s what the majority are these days ,and they are very good a causing n h s manslater .

dont let yourself become one of their many victims of which their are very many !!

push push ups for those tests and if it’s your gallbladder with all these tests something will show up for sure.

good luck wish you well.

• Posted

Yes thankyou am trying back with doctors i wasnt able to sleep all night with the pain an feeling sick an dizzy.. i was told last time by a doctor it was all in me head after he couldnt get to the bottom of it an av been told am just a mystery by a doctor..
  • Posted

Been back hospital and surgeon said even though ultrasound clear he thinks from my symptoms an how sensitive i am in the area of my gallbladder he said i will have gallstones an my gallbladder is inflamed. He doesnt think the ultrasound was able to give a clear picture as they were unable to press down hard enough as it was to sore. Now waiting for inflamation to go down an will go back to see if my gallbladder will have to come out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.