Gallbladder hell...

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all, am currently on a waiting list for a first consultation about having my gallbladder removed (hopefully). I have a 3 month old and started having the most awful attacks in my 3rd trimester. Was in hospital the night before I gave birth with my worst attack to date and they said they would have taken me for surgery there and then had I not been 9 months pregnant. Since then my attacks are getting more regular despite watching what I eat and I have a more or less constant ache and pain under my ribs and back! My question is, I have read a lot on here about bad recovery times and how tough it is.. Mix that with a 4 year old and a 3 month old and I'm starting to get more anxious... Yet really feel like I need it out to get back to normal living! Any thoughts from anyone with similar experiences?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Vicky, you have my sympathies. I remember the pain only too well. I had a gallstone blocking my bile duct which was the most pain I've ever known and I've had two knee replacements! I can only speak for myself as everybody could have a different experience but I have spoken to others who have also had an "easy ride". I had mine removed by keyhole surgery. It was the best thing I ever did. It was sore for a week or so and I took it easy with the eating but there was no pain like the gallbladder pain. I felt fully recovered after about three weeks and haven't had a single twinge (touch wood) since (two years now). I have been able to eat and drink absolutely anything including fried breakfasts, alcohol, cheese etc with no ill effects whatsoever. I know not everybody is this lucky but remember forums do often have a high bias towards the very few people who have problems which is why people write in for advice.

• Posted

went through same issues, mines was giving me issues 6 weeks into my pregnancy and stop out the blue but 3 months after me giving me birth it came back with vengence, i was very ill i had a 3 month old at the time and 3 other kids that are fairly young, yes the 1st 2 weeks u may have some pain from the surgery, but it goes away the only problem is u wont be able to eat alot of stuff for a while, ur body gonna need adjustments, but u will be fine, am 1 yr post and still i do get a sharp pain where the gallbladder use to be occasionaly, but only when i eat something am not suppose to eat, however am dealing with alot of digestive issues and some of the same issuse i had before removal and after removal, but everyone is different,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.