Gallbladder is coming out, I don't know much.

Posted , 9 users are following.

I'm from the United States. They called me earlier and told me that I have gallstones. They have me scheduled for surgery on the fifth at 1 to have the surgery. For the experienced.. Please tell me about your experience. I'm a little nervous and they did not tell me anything at all one the phone besides what I've already wrote! My liver enzymes were also elevated up in the 480s last week. I want to know everything! From the beginning to end. How long does surgery take? Will I go home the next day?

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm from the U.S. also and just had the surgery this past Thursday (the 15th). I was at the hospital at 8am, taken to surgery around 9:30 and was home by 4 (and that was delayed by an insurance hiccup at the pharmacy). Typically you go home the same day. I was sore when I woke up- I think they immediately gave me some painkillers. They took me to another recovery area and helped me to a chair. I felt ok by the time I left- they gave some crackers and soda to drink and I enough of an appetite to have some soup at dinner. Main problem was a sore throat for next few days. I'm still a bit sore but actually feel pretty good all things considered. I stayed with my parents for a little while but have been home (I live alone) since Saturday without a problem.
    • Posted

I have had many people actually arguing with Me on Facebook that I would be in the hospital for three days! My sister had hers removed while she was pregnant and she was fine and went home, the same day. She's the biggest baby I know. Also, three years older than I am. When you say sore.. Could this be like blister sore... Or papercut sore. I know, I should expect the unexpected... I just want to be home with my baby. I'm a very scheduled person. I have a very scheduled life. What is it they give you for pain? Do they prescribe you something to go with the pain so you don't get sick from the pain killers? I've had a c section before. I know it probably won't be as bad as that... Then again, you never know.
    • Posted

They ask if you've had trouble with anesthesia before. I had some trouble with nausea years ago when I had my wisdom teeth out... Not sure what they did for me about that this time. They did give me Versed just as they were push inning me out of prep- I have little memory of arriving in the OR. They gave me a prescription for Vicodin before I left- took the for the first few days. The sore throat was like a bad sore throat. Current soreness is just like a generalized achiness - keeps getting better though.

Especially with the baby you may want to talk to your doc about when you'll go home. I'm a guy but I definitely think you'll need help with the baby for a few days at least. you didn't say how big the baby is, but I'll mention I can't lift more than 20lbs for a few weeks,

• Posted

I won't have any help every day after 2... Except the day of surgery. The day of surgery, I'll have all the help in the world until the next day til 2... Can they do surgery on the weekends?

My baby is probably not considered a baby to most, she is 2 about to be 3...she just hit 30 pounds but she is one hundred percent potty trained.

The sore throat... I haven't heard of this, is this associated with the surgery?!

• Posted

I probably could have been on my own by the next afternoon - actually my parents are in their 80s so we're of limited help- more of a safety hing if something went wrong

The sore throat is because they put a tube down your throat during surgery- they did it after I was out ( though they told me about it ahead of time ) and it was out when I woke up so I didn't have to experience hat- and apparently that's the norm

• Posted

Well that's fantastic.. I'm a neat freak and I don't like for things to be out of place so if I get everything cleaned up and where it's supposed to go on the fourth... Which happens to be my birthday.... Go in for surgery... At 1... Hopefully be home by 8... My daughters bed time. Now... I will have to bend down to help her pull down her pants... Is this going to be of an issue? I may be thinking into this to far... But she uses the big potty but steps up on a step. Stool.

• Posted

Bending wil be difficult the first few days- I kinda half squatted half knelt instead. Maybe she can learn to do it herself to be a " big help to mommy"?
    • Posted

I don't know how self sufficient your daughter is, but most kids can do wonders when called upon. Let her in on it, ask her if she's big enough to take care of mama while mama is sick. Then set up various things where she can feed you: already prepared sandwiches, OJ, chips ... she will be proud of herself and you will get to rest ... and watch cartoons. 
  • Posted

This is my first post ever! I felt compelled to write in.  For 2 yrs I read forums like this for gallstones before I was brave/sore enough to face the doctors.  I had ultrasound & confirmed gallstones.  I was afraid because of all the posts like these & horror stories.  Getting it removed was the best thing I ever chose to do. Really, it was SO worth it.  Heres how it went:  Didn't eat after midnight, checked in at local hospital,  got undressed & gown on, got IV in, signed forms, got "happy drugs" & wheeled in to operating room (barely remember/actually fun memories....seriously), woke up to nurse, left the same day.  My husband gave me pain pills every 6 hrs for 3 days afterwards.  Did not stay in hospital (because i didnt want to) and it was totally okay.  For the first 7 mo. afterwards, I had to be careful wi how much fatty foods I ate (unless i took pepto bismol just in case).  It sounds bad, but it really wasn't. DO THE SURGERY, you will not regret it! It seemed so routine for the staff at the hospital that it made me feel at ease.  Getting rid of my gallbladder was one of the best decisions! Good luck!! 
    • Posted

I've seen the horror stories also.. I've actually watched the surgery on YouTube... And it didn't gross me out or scare me. Everybody seemed to be just so freaked out about it. I kept telling everybody that I was going to be okay probably within 24 hours of the surgery. And then everyone is like no, no you won't. The pain is so severe and beyond awful. And the other people are like you'll be fine. They will give you something before you leave and then they will prescribe you pain meds. You will have more than enough. I'm ready to have this rotten gallbladder out. I'm tired of the pain that it causes me when I have to curl up in a ball and can not breathe... The first time it happened I was scared for my life and called the ambulance and they sent me home with papers saying it was just a headache! Now half a year later... Same pain and gallstones! Same hospital. I'm very happy to hear your success story as to hear the down stories it seems the older people want to tell for some reason.
  • Posted

Hi Rabeccalynn. I had the surgery about 13 months ago. Mine was laproscopic which is same day surgery, in and out. My surgeon was running late so I ended up being there about 6 hours total but was home the same day. Make sure someone stays with you the first day. I was alone the 2nd day & after and as someone mentioned earlier, you cannot bend and you would be amazed at how often you bend ha. Stock up on low fat foods prior to and maintain a low fat diet for at least a month to give your GI time to adjust. I was in pain after the surgery (of course) but opted not to take pain pills as I have reactions to those and took 800mg ibuprofen instead. It wasn't easy, but I got through it. Unfortunately 13 months alter, I am still having issues from the surgery, but most people do not. I wish you the best! 
    • Posted

Hi Jennifer, what time was your surgery? The first day would be the day of surgery, right? How bad is the pain after the surgery? What's going on 13 months later? Why went wrong?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.