Gallbladder Operation Next Week.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hospital  have just rang  and arranged for  me  to  have the  gallbladder operation  in a weeks time.    Eeek   I'm  so scared  as I suffer

with debilitating  pain  that's  caused  by  another  problem   and  having 

my gallbladder  removed won't  help that.

How  do I cope with  the  after effects  of an operation   and severe pain

from  something  else   ?         I'm  scared  stiff  !!

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

hello, after your sent home,usually next day as i was, make sure you take it easy,no lifting or awkward movements, no heavy eating,plenty fluids,   all best, terry
  • Posted

They will give you analgesia in hospital-  morphine if necessary. Try not to worry. Tell the hospital your concerns.

Take it easy after discharge. Don't lift or move suddenly. Drink plenty water. Eat light meals of plain food. Try to walk around a bit as this disperses anaesthetic and gas. Take pain meds as instructed.

• Posted

Hi Thanks for your reply.

I  think  I'm going to the same hospital  where you had your  surgery  ,(  The  General  hospital )      I think surgery is harder the  older you get , I'm  not  far off 70 .

I  am  scared,   I think it's  a  case of the  unknown.   Praying for  a easy op .

Just  hoping  everything  is  straightforward  and  I  get  some  benefit  from  it. 

• Posted

I forgot you were in Leicester. Linda- I try to answer many of the posts on this forum. There are too many suffering from this illness.

Are you having the laparoscopic surgery? A friend went to the Glenfield for her lap chol. Do you know who your surgeon is? Because I used to work for the trust eight years ago, I do know a few of the surgeons by reputation.

If it is the General, and you are having the laparoscopic procedure, you'll only be in there a day probably. I had a week in there last October, a week there for my open surgery in February, four days in February, then a week in March and found it's a miserable place, so just shut your eyes to the chipped paint and horrible workhouse atmosphere.  I'm no spring chick- 68 next week. I just gritted my teeth, tried to stay positive and do everything to get better quickly in order to get discharged asap. A lot depends on the other patients. The first week I was there, they were a good bunch but the rest of the time I was in, I was with people who were struggling with their own diagnoses  and issues. I spent two days outlying on a gynae Ward and the atmosphere there was totally different. Don't let it get you down- I may just have been unlucky.

Just make sure you get your pain meds promptly and check what you're being given before you swallow or they inject.

I won't lie, it was rough for the first three or four days and it took me a couple of months to get back on my feet but I did have two open surgeries close together:

Keep in touch and let us know how you're doing. You ate in my thoughts. X

• Posted

Hi

I was hoping  to  go  to  Glenfield  but  I  can't  choose  the hospital.

It should be a Lap  hopefully,   I  don't know who my surgeon is yet,   I'm  waiting

for  the  letter  from  the  hospital with  all the info,     I'll let you know   when I find out.

Funnily    it's not my gallbladder  that's  causing  me  problems,    it's   my bladder  .

I  have  interstitial  cystitis  which  is difficult  to  treat but means  most foods cause me terribly,burning pain  .  I  don't  know  what  I'll  eat after surgery   as I'm  really  struggling  at the  minute  with  food  even  though I've got a good appetite .     I  hate being  on a ward and no one  speaks  to  you ..   I've met some lovely patients  in hospital  and others  I  wouldn't  want to see again !   It's great being able to speak to you as you've been there  and know  what  I'll be going through.  Linda x

• Posted

You are supposed to be able to choose your hospital and surgeon through NHS Choices,  but I never got the choice either. Mr. Garcea, my surgeon, is very good also Prof. Lloyd who was my first surgeon. I was allocated to mr. Garcea's list after I signed consent to have any HB surgeon. I was really desperate. I'd had attacks since July 2016, though I'd not felt well for some time. Apart from feeling tired, having no appetite and night sweats, I'd had odd bouts of unexplained diarrhoea.  I'd also had bad shoulder pains for a couple of years which I put down to having had a lipoma removed years ago, but of course it was the start of gallbladder attacks. I was misdiagnosed in July as having kidney stones and wasn't diagnosed with gallstones until September by which time I was very ill and had to be admitted for jaundice. I even lost weight over Christmas.

After surgery you don't feel much like eating. It's partly to do with the anaesthetic. I chose plain foods from the menu/: baked potatoes, soup, toast, rice pudding. I avoided the spicy foods and anything fatty. Often I could only manage a couple of mouthfuls. Don't know what you eat normally due to your illness but suspect you won't be feeling like eating much anyway. They prescribed Omeprazole for me. Pain relief on the whole was good. I had PCA pump and IV and oral pain killers. Not sure what they do if you've had laparoscopy as you're sent home same or next day, but probably codeine and paracetamol with a bottle of lactulose on discharge.

Think the worst part of laparoscopy is the pain from the gas. One of the nurses who'd had it said she thought they'd broke her shoulder. Apparently you need to walk round to get rid of the gas and raising foot of bed helps but of course I don't know because I had open surgery in the end.

It sounds awful doesn't it? Can I just say the anticipation of having surgery is far worse than it actually is. Even the recovery was not as bad as I'd expected and you recover from laparoscopy quicker than open surgery, so I'm sure you'll be just fine. You don't know a thing about the surgery. You're out of it by the time they start and it's all over when you come round. Don't be afraid to ask for pain relief afterwards.

Stay strong x

• Posted

I'm down  for  Mr Garcea too.   TBH  he's  not  my choice  of  surgeon, I would 

prefer Mr Robertson    but  I'm  not  sure  if  he's   just in private  practice now.

I  was   down to see a different  surgeon  next month  but it looks  like  they've 

brought  my surgery  forward  for  some  reason. 

I  don't  have  gallbladder  pain,   back pain,    sickness   .  I  could live with  my gallstones  ,    doesn't  make  sense  when  I'm  suffering  with  awful  pain 

in a different  area. 

• Posted

I remember Gavin Robertson but don't recall any mention of him recently, so you may be right that he's concentrating on private work. Mr. Garcea is a good surgeon- just maybe not as personable and his registrar, Sarah, is lovely.

Sounds like you've got a cancellation like I did.

Have they said why you're having surgery if you're not having symptoms? Lots of people live happily with gallstones which are found when investigating something else.

Anyway I hope all goes well - I'm sure it will! 

• Posted

I'm sure you'll be fine. Read Michelle's posts. She was scared stiff as well but managed to go through with it.

Praying for you.

Sarah xx

• Posted

I had my pre med today   .  When  I  went for  bloods to be taken   it was a trainee nurse.  She said she felt shaky  !       So did I then  , I was glad when  the

experienced   nurse took over..    The  nurse  at the pre med   did  say  it's  a 

painful  surgery  which  takes  a  while  to  recover  from.    Not what  I  wanted  to 

hear  .. Getting    scared   now   !

• Posted

not a good thing to say to some one,;;  you wont know anything about it, i would say mine was painless ,your put to sleep,wake up all over,;; i wasnt given any medicines what so ever, just make you sure you rest well, all best,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.