Gallbladder operation time scales

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi I have been having very painful episodes for about 6 years but decided to visit GP this year as was having them every 2 weeks.Long story short I have been given an urgent appointment with surgeon for next week as the episodes are happening 2 to 3 times a week.I wonder if anyone can advise likely timescales for operation as getting quite desperate.I live in Harrow.Thanks in advance.

2 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

G,Day Steve 87966 i see my GP Every 14 days to get more med,s Dont be affraid to talk to your Doctor He,s there to help you ,I Had an Old GP i used to have tea with him visit his place every day .But if you feel things are Not Right go see your GP as he or she has been trained for years you Know the Signs if there is somthing wrong with you as here in Australia i dont pay a cent to see my GP even if i seen him 7 days a week its paid for by my Pension worked for years paying Tax now its paying for it selve Cheers hope you some good Best of Luck /
    • Posted

Thanks for the advice, I am on Tramadol for pain but doesn't really help.All the best.
  • Posted

Hi Steve 

your surgeon will state the mandatory guideline set by the nhs which I think is 16 weeks ? 

But if you are having painful attacks they can move you to be called in if a cancellation occurs. I was a carer for my elderly mum I explained I needed notice to place her in a nursing home and I saw the surgeon and was operated on 2 weeks later. 

But if you have to wait lots of people on here ring an ambulance when they have an attack instead of rolling round in agony at home and then that either gets an emergency operation or brings there operation as urgent . 

Hope that helps 

• Posted

Hi Sally

I saw surgeon today and been put on the waiting list as you said 16 weeks but he has put me down for any cancelations and advised could be 2 - 5 weeks so here's hoping.

He also advised that I need surgery for my esophagus but I have asked him to wait till we see what happens after GB is removed.

All the best.

• Posted

Excellent... I was rung about 4 days later with a date in 10 days time !!!! 

I hope your gallbladder removal lessons the symptoms of your oesophagus problems. 

It might and it might not ... But at least one thing will be sorted...

my gastritus is 25 percent what it used to be since my gallbladder has been removed .. Hope you get a date soon ..

• Posted

Steve  -try going virtually fat free, it will not trigger the Gall Bladder to squirt bile as it is  more than likely the bile ducts is blocked.  It's the pain and discomfort from the blockage and possible stones that brings on the acute pain and discomfort. I had to go fat free for  six weeks, lost 1.75 stone but you lose the pain, well in my case anyway. Hope this helps.
    • Posted

Thanks for the advice, currently avoid meat and dairy with the exception of milk in coffee, have tried Alpro instead of semi skimmed milk but was still having episodes. All the best.
  • Posted

Hi

Thanks for all your advice.I had CT scan in August, this showed up dense material within the body and neck of the GB - Calcified material within the GB ??

I am on Tramadol but doesn't help and getting attacks every other night which last about 6 to 8 hours.Thanks again your advice.

• Posted

Hello Steve,

Try lactose free milk sold in all supermarkets, I buy it in bulk when in offer as they have good dates. I am lactose wheat dairy and glueton free, it's helped loads. Avoid any citrus fruit, spicy foods. Sounds drastic but worth while doing. It was suggested by one of my consultants, It also helps me with my IBS, Barretts Oesophagus and diverticulitis. Once you have seen consultant if he says gallbladder out then give it a week ring his Secretary explaining how I'll your feeling and they do have it in there power try o get you in sooner. I did this and git in a month sooner, my bouts were so bad each time ended up in hospital spending several days to recover. Not a nice experience but that also helped my case to move dates along. I hope that you get sorted soon. Hard to say how each hospital will process a patient and only talk from my own experience.

• Posted

Hi Janet 

Thanks for all your advice and suggestions which are greatly appreated.All the best. 

• Posted

Hi Steve, as others have already said timing is a difficult item. I have been having problems for a few years and finally saw a consultant 3 weeks a go(after all the MRI's, Ultra scans etc) and he has said yes Gallbladder out. Time scale about 3 months for op. Yesterday got letter, and booked in for the day on 26/11.So that has taken about 7 weeks on the NHS, and hopefully two weeks recovery, without complications. As for meds I'm on Buscopan and Zapain(Codiene Phosphate/Paracetamol) and  and both seem to help. Tried Tramadol, but that made me sick and feeling horrible. So wish you all the best.

cheers

• Posted

Hi Alistair

Thanks very much the information and good luck for the 26th.

Cheers

• Posted

Alistair, please give yourself a lot more than two weeks to recover, yes NHS say 2weeks but I have not read anyone on this site who recovered that quick. In my 5th week post op, still get tired and odd bouts of feeling sick. Had one bout which felt like still had gallstones and paramedics had to come out. But all in all no regrets, I listened to what others had written about, reckon about two to three months to be totally on top of it. But this is my experience and others who have written up ongallbladder removal. We are not given enough info on what to expect after op.Let me know how you get on, wish you all the best. Jan

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.