Gallbladder or Celiac

Posted , 3 users are following.

I could really use some advice. I was tested a month ago and have no stones. However, when they injected me with the hormone, within 15 minutes while the MRI was occurring, I had major discomfort right below my rib cage. My results were ok with the GB releasing bile, but my primary care doctor said this was sure sign of GB since I began hurting while on the table. I am awaiting a scheduled surgery next Tuesday but could use advice. I've was tested several years ago and no signs of celiac. When I read the forums online in in other places it seems as if it could be either. Can anyone relate and offer advice? I don't want to have an unnecessary surgery but I can't take many more sleepless nights. Thanks.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I don't quite follow...the surgeon referred you for an MRI which showed you to be OK yet he booked you in for surgery?  Where does the primary care doctor figure in this?

The reasons for removing the gallbladder would be that it is diseased and/or contains stones that are liable to cause you serious issues. It isn't without risk so you wouldn't expect to remove it without full justification.

• Posted

Was it a HIDA scan or MRI?

I had a Hida scan and had excruciating pain when they injected the CCK to make the gallbladder contract. I cried because it hurt so bad.

I asked my surgeon at my consult if it could be Celiac and for the life of me I can't remember what she said one of the symptoms was, but I didn't show it.

I'll try to remember and get back to you.

• Posted

Sorry to make this confusing. My PCP sent me for an ultrsound and then a HIDA scan. He and I reviewed the results which showed ok. However, when I told him the pain and discomfort began about 15 minutes into the HIDA scan, he felt it was GB and recommended I set an appointment with a surgeon.
    • Posted

I went through the same exact thing.

Pain during scan but surgeon in hospital said "everything is normal."

Did he say what your ejection fraction % was?

Mine was 78% and after doing research, found out it was considered hyperactive.

• Posted

Steven, you have been given an expensive, modern test and seen by several doctors including a surgeon.  My instinct would be to go with their advice above anything on a forum.  Here you get good feedback about peoples' experiences - good and bad - of operations and procedures.  Indeed probably better feedback than your doctors can give.  But the decision must be yours with your doctors.  For what it's worth, whenever a doctor gives me a choice of treatment I ask "what would you recommend if I was part of your family"?  Usually it throws them a little off guard, and down to plant earth with real people.  All the best whatever you decide.
  • Posted

My second opinion surgeon actually agrees with me about it being hyperactive and recommended removing it.

She asked me "you had pain during the HIDA and the surgeon didn't remove it?" When I told her no. She seemed floored. She told me she sees at least a case a week like mine.

I had mine out 2 months ago, and I haven't had a single symptom since I've had it removed.

• Posted

Thanks for the advice. Surgery is scheduled for next Tuesday.
    • Posted

This is an informative Medscape article: http :// www. medscape. com/viewarticle/583730_3 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.