Gallbladder or not?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I hope someone can help me. I have been having on/off problems for about 12 months- symptoms bloated stomach, occasional pain on upper right quadrant and nausea. Had a scan in January revealed I have 3 largish gallstones. I am on the waiting list to have gallbladder removal.

My question is this- I don't seem to have many other symptoms associated with gallblader, such as pale stools or acid reflux. My stools appear normal and I have no acid reflux. Can this still be my gallbladder without these additonal symptoms. 

Most days I feel nauseous and bloated and very lethargic. I am hoping I will feel so much better once I have the op, if this is all it is. 

Has anyone else had similar expreiences? Any advice welcomed. Thank you. 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I am also in the same boat as you. just the occassional twinges on the right hand side. I do have have acid reflux but isn't as bad as it has been now I watch what I eat. I get awful nausea a lot, headaches and the lethargy.

I go in May to tell them if I want my gallbladder out or not and haven't made up my mind yet.

• Posted

It's so difficult to know what to do isn't it? I dont want mine removed if it doesn't need it. Have you any idea what causes the lethargy? 

• Posted

Hi,

It must be the gallbladder not working properly as quite a few others have also said that they have this. I can be fine then it will just come on and have to go lay down and sleep. My hubby says have it out but it's still a big op which can have it's drawbacks from what I have read on here. I have a lot of questions to ask in May then will decide.

• Posted

I didn't have any symptoms at all till I was suddenly hit with a stuck gallstone.
    • Posted

I had symptoms which were not conclusively linked to gall bladder problems but after a CT scan found no other reason for my continued pain and general illness I had it out in January. When the surgeon saw it out, he said he was sure it was at the root of my problems as it had several big stones in I and also he felt it had been chronically infected for years and hadn't been doing its job. I have no regrets about having it out. As I am in my 70s it has taken 2 months to get fully better but I am very glad it has been done now not later.Good luck, Maggie
    • Posted

Really pleased to hear that you are well and pain free. 
  • Posted

Well every situation is different, I wish I didn't have mine remove, all I had to do was change my diet to less greasy food, I only had one polyp, but I heard now they don't take them out until there's about 11 polyps, depending on how big they are. But stones I'm not sure of, try to dessolve the stones with cloudy Apple juice,look it up, how to dessolve them. Maybe it will help maybe not, depending on how big they are. Good luck, but if I knew then what I know now, my choice would be different. So do a lot of homework, cause after you have it removed, you have to avoid greasy food, alcohol but they don't tell you that, you have to figure it out for yourself what ticks you off, plus after eating some foods, and you have to run to the toilet, so have a potty ready in the car also, but this is just my situation yours might be different, but it's totally up to you and how serious it is. Good luck 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.