Gallbladder or not? - am confused

Posted , 3 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I have an ultrasound scan in one week.  I suffer from GERD and take Omepazole.  I have abdominal pains (mild but niggly) radiating to lower and upper back (inbetween shoulder blades) and pain under right rib.  I am a Type 2 diabetic and have recently had my 6 monthly diabetic review and part of the review are blood tests for liver and kidneys and these have come back OK.  Surely if it is gallbladder it would have shown up in the blood tests? as gallbladder is connected to the liver?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I suffer with pain like you do and i had regular blood tests for liver and kidneys due to medication i am on , these always came back normal but after keep getting the pains i was reffered to my Consultant who arrange a scan then a gastroscopy to find the problem and it came that i have gallstones and need my gallbladder out , Now I am booked in to have my gallbladder removed on May 11th , I like you thought this would have shown up on blood tests but it didn't , Go for your scan and find out if it is gallstones at least then you will know and then you can deal with it and get the help you need , I hope you soon feel better keep in touch if you want to as a bit of support if I can help in any small way i will ,MAZx
    • Posted

Thanks marilyn.  I am trying to convince myself nothing is wrong but it all points to gallbladder.  I also have pain just below my shoulders which hurts when i move my shoulders up and down (ie when i roll my shoulders) and i can't understand where this pain is coming from.
  • Posted

Hi! My blood tests also came back fine but after taking an ultrasound it showed my gallbladder was full of stones. Your pain symptons sounds like it's your gallbladder. Pay attention when you get the most pain. Foods in high fat will trigger the pain and or milk products, caffeine and nuts, etc. you can google the foods you shouldn't eat. Good luck!
  • Posted

I find my symptoms strange in the sense that i don't seem to get periods of 'pain attacks ie after eating' like a lot of people with gallstones on here seem to have.  Mine, i can only describe as a constant dull ache below my right shoulder blade and sometimes a niggly pain under my right rib with mild abdominal pains radiating to my lower and mid back, but these are constant but not enough for me to think ' i am in extreme pain here i need to go to A&E' - does this still sound like gallstones or gallbladder from what i am saying? thanks
  • Posted

Raffaela, like you I didn't really have any pain, just extreme discomfort.  This is why for a few months, my GP and I never considered GB problems.

I'm also diabetic and have regular blood work (every 3 months) and nothing in the results indicated any problems.  I don't know for sure, but I don't think blood tests can disclose GB problems.  I'm pretty sure you need to have a scan of some kind in order for the doctors to see what's going on.

If your GB is infected, I imagine that can cause problems all over your body, like a sick appendix can, so maybe your other organs could be affected, but that's something you need to discuss with your doctor.  Right after my surgery, my bloodwork disclosed that my liver numbers were up--the doctors didn't indicate to me that it was related, but the timing suggested it.

You're lucky from what I've read that you aren't having pain.  It was only the day that I ended up in the ER (a week prior to my scheduled GB removal) that I had a terrible bout of pain.  Can't imagine how others have suffered with something similar for weeks at a time.  Don't let the fact that you aren't hurting keep you from getting the proper tests.  Hoping all will work out well for you!

• Posted

I got my blood test results on Wed as part of my 6 monthly diabetic review and i asked for my Bilirubin leves (Liver function) and she said that it came back normal as a reading of 11 (apparently it needs to be below 21).  I am due for my scan this afternoon for possible gallstones.
  • Posted

hello All, i thought i would report back that i had my scan this afternoon and i am now left very confused - no gallstones were found and gallbladder is fine so i do not know what is causing these symptoms, i do have an endoscopy next week though.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up