Gallbladder or what?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Just looking for someone with similar issues because I'm scared to death that this is liver cancer or something! To try to make a long story short, I had a HIDA scan 4 years ago that showed my ejection fracture to be 34% which is low but not extremely low I guess since the norm is 35-65 I think. Anyways, my ultrasound at that time didn't show any stones. I called the other day to get an appointment with a surgeon to get it removed and he wants me to see a gastro to rule out h pylori before he'll look into removing thegallbladder. I couldn't get in there until November 21.

My symptoms are random sharp pains that take my breath away but only last a few seconds, a lot like a gas pain, and it happens under my rib on the right side. Frequent belching even before I've eaten anything for the day, a full feeling underneath the right rib, bitter taste in my mouth much of the day, pain to the right of my spine in my back between my shoulder blades, some aching on my side on the same rib, random stomach cramps, and aching under the rib that sometimes moves between my right and left side, and right shoulder pain that I'm not sure if it is connected or not. I had a CT scan done a couple of weeks ago but it was without contrast so I don't think that would show much.

I'm worried because after reading some posts on here some have mentioned a liver lesion. That really sent me spinning because I've been worried about this being my liver and after reading that I'm really worried. When I had problems 4 years ago they saw I had a fatty liver on a CT with contrast but I don't recall having all of these problems then.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had similar symptoms and was told it was my gallbladder. Had it removed and things got much worse. Turns out it was h pylori and I had my gallbladder removed for no reason. Did you have any bloodwork to check your liver enzymes? My bloodwork was always normal.

• Posted

I did have a liver function test that the ER doc said was normal, but he didn't say if they just ran the lft or alt or what.

After hearing you had h pylori and had your gallbladder removed first makes me glad that they're testing me for it. I'll admit I thought they were just shrugging me off like doctors do sometimes.

If you don't mind me asking, what symptoms were you having?

• Posted

Burning pain underneath the ribcage on the right and left side, pain in my mid back and on my side where my liver is, anxiety, nausea. Later on the burning pain was in the chest and esophagus that made my breath feel hot, and even made my teeth hurt. I've tried antibiotics twice but wasn't able to tolerate the treatment. So, I'm consulting with a integrative doc now to use natural treatment. Things are getting better, but it's slow. I also pray a lot and believe God will heal me but not sure if I'm allowed to say that here. lol

• Posted

Burning pain underneath the ribcage on the right and left side, pain in my mid back and on my side where my liver is, anxiety, nausea. Later on the burning pain was in the chest and esophagus that made my breath feel hot, and even made my teeth hurt. I've tried antibiotics twice but wasn't able to tolerate the treatment. So, I'm consulting with a integrative doc now to use natural treatment. Things are getting better, but it's slow. I also pray a lot and believe God will heal me but not sure if I'm allowed to say that here. lol

• Posted

You can absolutely say that to me because I'm a christian. I've prayed and prayed over this and I'll pray for you too!

• Posted

Oh, thank the Lord Jesus. I'll pray for you too. God bless you!

• Posted

Aww. I'm sorry you don't feel well. I'm not sure what's going on, but I did have some heartburn and pain in my ribs before I had my gallbladder removed. They also gave me some medication for GERD--that I think helped a little with the bile reflux. It's been about 4 weeks since my surgery and I feel MUCH better. I will say that I had a MRI done (because they found an unrelated issue on my kidney during my CT scan). The MRI didn't show stones--but it showed I had sludge. After my gallbladder was removed, the surgeon said my gallbladder showed heavy scarring. I do feel a lot better now, but it took 2-3 weeks after my surgery. Good luck. 😃

• Posted

I'm glad you're feeling better since surgery. I've been reading up on it a lot because I figured I would eventually have to have mine out. When I first found out 4 years ago that my gallbladder was low functioning they put me on Bentyl but I wasn't having problems that I attributed to be my gallbladder. I thought it was IBS but after my colonoscopy, all it showed was .5% ulcerative collitis. I quit taking the bentyl because I didn't notice much of a difference. I take Tums for any reflux I have. I'm thinking the bitter taste I've been having can probably be put down to reflux.

• Posted

I had a lot of strange digestive issues including chest pains and pain under ribs. I'd always been diagnosed with anxiety aggravated IBS but the symptoms seemed to change each time I had a flare up.

After a colonoscopy and endoscopy I was told I had H.pylori and treated for that. then I had a scan which showed gallstones so I had my gallbladder removed.

All of this just seemed to make my "IBS" symptoms worse.

But after 4 months, (since surgery) trial and error with eating, eliminating the culprits like eggs and gluten, taking good probiotics and digestive enzymes, slowly but surely my digestive system is improving. I've lost so much weight I hate to look in the mirror!

What I'm trying to say is that I still can't pinpoint what exactly caused the symptoms, nor could the doctors nor the surgeon, but it was possibly a combination. I don't know. except that finally I'm getting some relief and I'm hopeful that eventually I'll recover completely.

I hope you find the cause for your symptoms and the right treatment.

• Posted

I have just started having chest pains within the last 2 days. It's on the right side so I think it's safe to say it's not my heart. Last night I had one of the worst attacks I've ever had but the only thing is, it was all over my abdomen, not just the right side. I have an appointment with my rheumatologist and gynecologist on Thursday so I'll maybe be able to rule any other potential things it could be I guess. My health anxiety is full blown freak out mode right now. I hate it.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with me.

• Posted

Hi, i am glad to read that someone has the same issues I have. My hida was normal, living with gall bladder attacks since childhood but they cant find anything wrong. Now waiting for MRi.

I have sharp pain, spasms, pain going to my shoulder and hands, neck and back, it is a typical gall bladder pain, so i know it is what is causing this. i only feel fine if I don't eat, otherwise i have various issues. Over a year now I am living with non stop pain, but they wont take out my gallbladder because my blood test is fine and hida and others scan are normal. I could cry so annoyed from the daily pain, or pain at night.

So you are not alone and pm me if you want to talk. I hope they fix you soon x

• Posted

I've read so many places that people have had normal scans and everything and once they have them taken out they're full of stones and sludge. I'm so sorry that you feel like that. It's so hard when you feel like you aren't being listened to by your doctors. I feel like mine all think all of my symptoms are anxiety. It's frustrating to say the least. I wasn't glad when I found out I had lupus but it was almost a relief to finally feel like my symptoms were attributed to something.

Same to you! If you ever need to talk you can PM me too.

• Posted

Hi, maybe you are anxious now, but it is completely understandable because the pain you are going through. I was also thinking a lot and worried I have something dangerous and the gp has 5 minute spare for you usually. I think GERD and H pyhori should be ruled out as well. Many things however can connect, for example you can get GERD with dysfuntional gall bladder or heart burn, heart pain type of pain, so i can be really confusing and scary. I am hoping you will get better and they can

sort you out as well x

• Posted

Oh I wanted to say, half of the nation have fatty liver, but they don't know about it:D It can be also that you don't digest glucose correctly, so it is not too bad, and fatty liver can be also recovered from.

• Posted

I am in the same boat as you (ejection fraction 33). Occasionally sharp pain under right rib immediately after eating. Also feels like a burning/searing pain in the same area which sometimes goes over to the left side and is tender to touch under my right ribcage. Ive had ever type of blood or imaging know to man and they cant find anything other than a borderline ejection fraction. Ive been dealing with this for over a year and it all started after I gave birth to my first son. I am more worries about pancreatitis than it being live related ,because I think a liver lesion would show up on a CT? Ive seen 3 different GI doctors over the last year who all treat me like I am a crazy person. I have found that staying away from greasy food and taking digestive enzymes help. I tested negative for H. Pylori but the doct wont remove the gallbladder because they said the ejection fraction wasnt low enough.

• Posted

it hurts my heart when I read that other people are going through the same thing I am because I know how it makes you feel. I feel like I'm lost and may never find the answer.

Have you had an endoscopy? I am leaning towards an ulcer with my symptoms bc of this gnawing pain I have in my right upper stomach, especially when my stomach is empty. I have pressure under my right rib and it's tender if I bend over or put pressure on it, which is kind of a new symptom. I'll let you know what I find out. Maybe that could be what's going on with you if they haven't explored that yet. Prayers you feel better soon and get to the bottom of what's going on with you!

• Posted

I know- its so frustrating and scary to think we may have to go even longer with no answers. I have had: CT, MRI, Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, EUS of the pancreas, and multiple sonograms. They havent found anything. Its given me pretty bad anxiety/depression that I now have to take Lexapro for. I sure hope you find an answer- it will give all the rest of us without answers a little hope.

• Posted

Maybe you have Oddie Syndrome, when the muscle doesn't work properly, so it is giving pain after eating.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.