Gallbladder out two weeks ago, still having pain and other problems.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello. I had my gallbladder removed exactly two weeks ago yesterday. The first week of recovery was horrible. I was having some of the most extreme pain I've ever had in my life, and I've broken bones before. The Dr's had me on oxycodone 10mg, hydrocodone 7.5mg, toradol 10mg, and even demoral at times. All those really was made me sleepy, but did nothing for my pain. Anyways, on to the point. I'm two weeks out now and still having some pain at incision sites, pain in my stomach where it first started before the removal, and an extreme case of the worst smelling, dark to bright green diarrhea I've ever had in my life. I've stuck 100% with the low fat diet they instructed me to follow such as yogurt, turkey, cottage cheese, fiber bars, fruit and vegetables, etc. I have also been consuming copious amounts of water, gatorade, juice, etc. I'm still having the random bouts of pain, incision pain, nausea, etc. Haven't even been able to put on and wear a pair of jeans or laced shoes yet. Doctor said didn't why I was having this many issues this far out. Any thoughts? 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Cantrel!  i've recently been told that i have gaul stones, and the pain was so bad on early hours of Saturday morning that i had to call the duty doc out who gave me an injection.  he said that the only answer was to have the gaul bladder removed.  after reading your story, i'm really worried, and just don't know what to think!  you seem to be having awful symptoms, and you must be the worst i've heard yet!  Hope things pick up for you soon.  keep us posted.  Val.
    • Posted

Hello Val. Sorry to hear about your stones, after going though surgery I wouldn't wish my pain on a worst enemy. From what my dr told me and what I read my case seems very rare, only a handful of people experience my issuse. The first night I was in the ER they gave me 4mg of dilaudid along with the hydrocodone. Did nothing for me then, the er nurse even told me that I should've been out like a light lol. Second trip was 3 shots; 100 demoral, 50 phenagrin, and 60 toradol. All that did was make me tired. I'm hoping to be better within the week, I'd really like to get back to work. Best of luck with yours and don't fret, pretty sure I just happened to be one of the unlucky one. 
    • Posted

Hi Cantrell!  I hope your right, and you are just one of the unlucky ones!  Hope things improve for you soon.  I certainly don't want that pain too much!  You take care of yourself.  Val.
    • Posted

Hi Valerie, I am sorry that you are so worried, although it is perfectly natural to be worried. Everyone says the operation is "routine" and you can begin to think you fears are silly. This is NOT the case. I too had those fears - I was almost as crippled by the fear of the operation as I was by the pains I was having. It really wasn't until the pains were so severe and lasted for so long that I finally took steps to speed up my operation. I am so much better now that I feel I have a new lease of life. If you skim back over these forums, you see that there seem to be lots of folks that are still in pain after surgery. However, as with most forums, people that use them are looking for information and help with a problem, so it makes sense that there are some that have not had success with their treatment. If your doctors say you need to have your gallbladder removed, (I had a doc that kept telling me I DIDN'T need mine removed) you should listen. I went to see a 2nd opinion and when that conflicted with 1st, I went for a 3rd and went with what 2 out of 3 said. Operation done and I am a new person! Don't let the fear win - talk to the doctor about it if you are that afraid, I am sure they will be happy to discuss it.
    • Posted

Hi Dorcas!  Thanks so much for your reasuring words.  i'm due to go back to my doctor on the 21st, if not before, if the pain gets bad again.  i'll certainly be discussing my fears with her.  i'm really lucky, as she's such an understanding person, and was so concerned about my loss of weight and the amount of pain i was in that she sent me for an endoscopy and an ultra sound scan.  she thought i had a hiatus hernia at first, but the endoscopy was clear apart from a small pollop just below my left rib which they're not concerned about.  it was the ultra sound that showed that i had gaul stones.  i certainly don't want to continue having that awful pain!  i'm trying to stick to a very low fat diet, but don't know what fruit juices i can take.  maybe you have suggestions?  Val.  i live in aberdeen, and the drinking water up here is awful, so i hate drinking it!
    • Posted

Juice is a difficult one - acidic stuff makes the pains worse for most people and most juices have some acid. I would definitely stay away from orange juice. I drank a bit of cranberry mixed with apple juice and that didn't seem to bother me too much, but for the most part I was only drinking water and green tea. I have heard some people say that peppermint tea is good too. Also, not just low fat - try not to eat anything spicey - the more bland the better (it gets old eating food with little taste!!). Good luck and hope you get sorted out soon. I am so very glad I had the operation - feel like a new person.
    • Posted

Hi Dorcus!  Thanks so much for that.  When the doc came saturday morning, he said that if and when i get the gaul bladder removed, i should be able to eat almost anything.  I don't know if thats the case, but my nephew had his out about a year ago, and seems to be able to have anything.  Val.
  • Posted

You should be getting some sort of tests if you are still in that much pain. Did they check to see if there was a stone blocking the bile duct when they did the surgery? I had my surgery about a week before you and I too had really awful symptoms and pain - that is almost completely gone now. I sometimes get a little twinge of pain, but it doesn't last but a couple of seconds and compared to what it was, I hate to even say "pain". If I were you, I think I would be back at the doc's place asking for some tests. It could be that you have another condition that is causing the pains.
  • Posted

Hi Cantrell89, sorry to hear you are in pain, not very nice. Especially when you have the operation to get rid of your discomfort, only still to be left in painrolleyes 

I was diagnosed with one 19mm gallstone back in July last year, proberly a little bigger now!. I experienced the most horendous pain, worse than childbirth and was taken into A&E. They done blood tests to see if it was my heart, that was ok and then sent me home with Imperrazole??

I went to see my Doctor and then reffered to a consultant. I wanted to see if there was any alternative to having gallbladder removed, and basically his reply was no. Not resting on my laurels, I had a second opinion and more or less the same answer. My operation date was made for 17/12/2013. Still very aprehensive about having operation as at that time was feeling good. (the problem with gallstone/s is that you are fine one moment and the next crippled up with pain). Believe you me, when in pain I could quite easily say...."Whip the thing out", but when okay, not.

Well, I defered this operation and another one was made for me May 2014. Feeling good again, still with bouts of intense pain, deffered this appointment also.

Must say the NHS have been very accomodating with my requests

During this time I had numerous, bad attacks ,but hung on in there. Until a couple of months ago I started getting at least three attacks a week. Went back to see Doctor and my operation date is the 22nd of this month???

Still unsure, as when the gallbladder is removed......its gone!

Over the past months I have seriuosly been reasearching this problem and alternatives in having gallbladder removed with just one stone. You would have thought in this day and age there would be an alternative. I suppose they take the gallbladder out to stop any future problems, as well as being cheaper (?????)

Well, I saw an article in the Daily Mail where a lady had her gallstone/s removed rather than her gallbladder. Quote:

"Under sedation I had a procedure where they put an endoscope down my throat and then put tiny baskets down the endoscope to remove the gallstones.

But there was one stone that was too big to get out — it was an inch wide and was stuck in a bile duct.

I had to have a tiny tube put into the bile duct to allow the bile to drain", unquote.

Also whilst doing my research, I have found that they can shatter large, solitary stones and then use dissolution therapy to remove them.

I would much prefer either of these, so I am now going to pursue the alternatives.

I have an appointment with my Consultant prior to the operation and will insist that I have one of these alternatives. I would be willing to pay......just to keep my gallbladder razz. If all else fails, then I suppose one day it will have to come out

I wish you all the very best and wish you a quick and comfortable recovery

Take care x

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2197834/Gallstones-I-hardly-pain-shockwaves-shattered-gallstones.html#ixzz39WAxQzYw

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.