Gallbladder Pain?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone. So I started having a pain under my right rib that wrapped around to my back. I went to doctors, she pressed on the area and did a liver exam and said it was gastritis. She prescribed me Zantac 150mg and said if I were not feeling better in 2 weeks she would have a sonogram of my stomach and gallbladder done. Well it's almost been a week on Zantac and while the pain has subsided a little I still feel a weird squeezing under my right rib but in my back. Sometimes it's uncomfortable to lay down on my back because of the weird feeling. The other night it hurt for a little while but then went away. It doesn't hurt in the front just my back. I go back to the doctor Monday but it feels so far away. I suffer from anxiety and lately it has been all over the place! Could this possibly be gallbladder pain? 

0 likes, 4 replies

Report / Delete

4 Replies

• Posted

To be sure to find out what's going on, ask for a referral to a gastroenterologist, who will know better how to test, diagnose and treat you.  Your doctor gave you a pill in the hopes that your symptoms would go away. Pressing on your liver is just one component of what should be diagnostic work, starting with the sonogram.  But you should know that a sonogram doesn't always pick up small stones and sludge in your gallbladder.  Also, gallbladders can become diseased and no longer function.  

Best of luck to you.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Dev, you need to go back to your doctor and get an ultrasound done in the first instance and then probably a gastroscopy. What happens when you eat? As this is usually a good indicator of a gallbladder not functioning or struggling to function. Has your doctor done any bloods yet as that will rule some things out but in others like a non functioning gallbladder all the tests come back as normal except the HIDA scan as in my case.

Unfortunately it could be anything as there are alot of diagnosis that give similar symptoms so it'll be a case of ruling things out via the tests. 

Let me know what the doctor says on Monday. Take care

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply. I will be asking for a referral Monday. I had a CBC done a thyroid check and a kidney and liver functions test beginning of August. Everything came out normal. Not sure if I should ask for another blood test. Before starting Zantac I felt some mild pain on my right side after eating that wrapped around to my back but since starting Zantac I don't feel much anymore throughout the day. 

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up