Gallbladder post surgery question

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all 

I was diagnosed with gallstones at the end of March this year. I found out I need to have my gallbladder removed and was told I have a 3 month wait. Then I got a call Tuesday saying it will be next Thursday eeek. I have already lost 8kg from alot of vomitting and also eating healthy. 

I was wondering what changes in your body that you have all noticed.

Have you had other things clear up that you didnt know was linked to gallstones?

Have you continued to lose weight? 

What is your diet like after the surgery?

Any information would be great 

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I haven't been well enough to have mine taken out yet but am hoping when I do, in July, it will make my life a whole lot better. I've had them for 15 years now and should have got my gallbladder removed when they wanted to all those years ago. I have other autoimmune diseases which aren't helping at all and have just spent 7 days in hospital with some kind of abdominal sepsis - probably gallstone related although they couldn't see any sign of movement or trouble on my ultrasound scan a week ago. The surgeon says I have to be clear of infection and inflammation before he will operate. 

Good luck.

• Posted

oh wow, I dont know how long I have had mine for but I can trace it back around 5 years when I think about it. I dont know how you have survived all this time.
  • Posted

That's what the surgeon exclaimed too but I found that going gluten free and avoiding saturated fats, refined sugars and eating a lot of fruit, salad and veg really kept gallstone attacks away. And didn't like the idea of surgery just so I could eat and drink unhealthy stuff when I had young kids and no family who could help out if the surgery had turned more complex. I knew two people at the time who ended up having full abdominal surgery and was scared of this possibility as husband couldn't get much time off work. So I bottled out of the surgery twice!

This decision has backfired on me now it seems - but better late than never - as long as I can remain infection free for the next 2 months - which sounds easy but I'm on a new immunesuppressant drug and have already had flu and a chest infection this year before I even started taking it! Hopefully the IV antibiotic and others I've just completed will get me through the next few months without further mishap! 

• Posted

Goodness I didn't quite realise you'd been struggling this much.

You will feel much better after surgery. I am 11 days post op and feeling a lot better.

Love Ssarah xxx

• Posted

Ok...I am 15 months after operation...

i had terrible gastritus before op that has totally cleared up 

I had developed food phobias understandably ..that has disappeared and I am enjoying eating a large variety of foods. Again..

anxiety has reduced..

fear of being sick , disappearing 

neck ache and backache gone 

itchy skin gone 

only symptom that's new constipation easily solved with all bran ..

hope that helps 

best thing ever did having removed 

• Posted

I had my op two weeks ago and so far things ive noticed is a lot fewer lower back aches, no gas after eating, stools stay a more consistent density, less headaches, losing weight easier (went from 1lb per week to 3 both weeks so far), seem to be healing quicker, not tired as often, not getting eye "flashes" in the evening, less food cravings. Hope that helps. I still eat mostly clean but i've been able to indulge in a few of my bad favourites that i wasnt able to for 6 months.
    • Posted

I read only one other place anywhere that eyeflashing can be caused by gallbladder.   I have stones and had attacks with pain in back and stomach 6 times in last six months.   I have had some weird symptoms also that I had no idea could be releated, can you elaborate about eye flashing.   I have had eyeflashes for about a year now in right eye and dry mouth for about the same time, then about six months later started with pain in pit of stomach that goes through to the back.   Have been able to sometimes get relief from apple cider vinegar.   Have surgery for removal in three weeks.   But nervious that I am making the wrong decision b/c I don't have any other gallbladder symtoms, like throwing up  or anything like that, just pain for hours, especially in mid to upper back.   How did you know that your eye flashes are related?  TIA
    • Posted

It would come on a couple hours after a fatty meal. It was usually what seemed to be a flash of light in the corner of my eye and was usually a good indicator that I was going to have an attack that night. Didnt start until a few months into gallbladder attacks and havent had one since it was out. I read that if the issue was the gallbladder releasing too little bile than you can get a build of fat in the bloodstream which can momentarily clog various small veins which the eyes have plenty of and this can trigger the "flashing" sensation.
    • Posted

thank you so much, i really needed to hear that.   nobody was putting the two together and I was seeing every different doc for eyes, etc.

• Posted

You are most welcome. Glad I could help. It can also be what they call an ocular migraine when pressure builds up behind the eye but when I looked up the other symptoms it didn't seem like my issue.
    • Posted

I really can't find anything on line re: this particular sympton, if you have any written information or a link can you send it to me.   TIA much appeciation
    • Posted

Hmm I can't seem to find it now either. I did find one in relation to gallstones in the liver causing eye troubles. I will send it to you
    • Posted

Sorry I never had this eyeflashing when I had gallstones so can't really comment on that.

I had lots of pain with my gallstones and had a lot of flare ups before they removed my gallbladder just over 3 weeks ago.

If you are anything like me, you will feel as lot better when it is removed.

Take care and keep in touch.

Prayilng for you.

Love Sarah xxx

• Posted

I can't help much I'm afraid. I only had my gallbladder out last week so a bit early days to be giving advice post surgery.

All I would say is that I already feel a lot better.

Still not right, but that maybe because there is a question mark over whether I have IBS. I need to make an appointment with my GP about that.

You will probably get a bit of diarrhoea afterwards till your body adjusts to the fact that you have not got a gallbladder any more.

I am still being a bit careful what to eat I have bought some hard cheese though it does say it only has half the fat content!!!

Take care

Praying for you

Keep in touch

Lots of flove Sarah xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.