Gallbladder problem?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone. I've been on this forum before. Long story but...last year got ill with severe nausea,  vague abdominal pain.had lots of tests,ct scan etc. could not find anything. Ended up with severe anxiety too, due to 

not being able to eat. It was put down to Ibs, which I've had for years. Now I'm experiencing cramps in abdomen, upper right sided pain, back pain, right shoulder pain, nausea, I am convinced it's gallbladder related. back in 2014 my doctor at that time sent me for ultrasound because of the cramps, she was surprised when it came back negative for stones. I now have what I think are the classic pains. Or are they? Very confused.some foods definitely make it worse. Eggs I just cannot eat at all now. These symptoms are nearly every day now. Any advice would be very much appreciated. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Beth. I'd ask for a further scan and also a CT scan as that can show up sludge (not sure if ultrasound scans can). All points towards gallbladder unfortunately. It sometimes takes a blockage before anyone takes it seriously though. Good luck xxx

• Posted

Hi Sarah. Thanks so much for your reply. I had a ct scan done in April last year and everything was fine, which is great and very reassuring, but things have changed symptom wise since then. The things I've been reading about gallbladder problems suggest it's not always straightforward. What worries me is now I've got symptoms every day. I've fort an apt with a surgeon later this month. I'm over it all. Want an expert opinion . Can you advise me what I can do until then to keep symptoms at bay.? It's just nice to share this and get some feedback . 

• Posted

All my tests were normal too. All your symptoms sound like classic GB symptoms - even the not being able to eat eggs. Have you had a HIDA scan? This measures how well your gallbladder is functioning. I had NO stones/sludge but my gallbladder was working overtime (98% ejection fraction).
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply cmross1108. Yes I think I need something like that. My symptoms have been around for years i think. But they started off so vague. The nausea last year was dreadful though. And I haven't felt 100% since then. I eat hearthily, and I am a fit 61 year old. I have always had digestive issues though. But no stones etc show up so I always assumed it wasn't gb related. I have had several nasty pain attacks that went on for hours. They were cramps around my middle and I thought it was gastritis or something. now the pain is in right back, right shoulder, right rib. So worried, my daughter gets married in 5 weeks. I am really upset about all this. Thanks for listening. Good to talk to someone. 

• Posted

Beth, I also started with nausea that over time became constant. I couldn't eat, lost much weight and was so anxious. After about a year, I had a GB test that showed no stones but did show sludge. I should have had more testing but instead had my GB out. Two months later the nausea was back with a vengenance. Many tests followed and an ulcer was found. It cleared up but nausea and flu like feeling (sick) continued. That was about 16 months ago. I have just begun to feel better after various medications. I think this is very rare. I would suggest that you try to be sure it is GB

before you have it out. I wish I had; my nausea could have been the result of the ulser.  Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Nancy76309.  I agree, it's best to be absolutely sure the gallbladder needs to come out. My symptoms since last year have progressed to cramping in mid stomach shoulder and right back pain, and just plain feeling lousy. All based around eating. I m just fed up at the moment. You have been through a miserable time, I hope you are continuing to feel better. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.