Gallbladder problems.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi. First time here. My gallbladder was removed 8 days ago using open surgery. I'm just wondering how long it takes for the swelling etc to die down. There is a neat row of staples about 7" long and a small amount of seepage. Alternate staples should be removed on Tuesday. I have a history of scar infections so this time am on antibiotics. I know everyone is different, but just want an average time frame etc.There is very little pain but I can't lie on my right side. My liver function bloods were sky high but seem mostly ok now. Thanks for any input. 

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

hi, all i can say is take it easy,no lifting,or moving things, i had mine xmas 2016, keyhole, but still sore stomach area, but other than that, okay, it takes time,  all best
  • Posted

Hi john

I'm about three months post op from a liver resection, which I had five weeks after having my open gallbladder surgery due to the labs finding a small growth. My surgeon used the same incision for both ops. My incision scar is horizontal across my ribs and about ten inches long. My incision was glued with internal stitches. I had a wound infection which was treated with two lots of antibiotics. I had no seepage - just redness and I ran a temperature for a few days but I'm over it now. I also had a couple of spitting stitches.

It took a while for the swelling to go down and I'm still a little swollen on rh side and also still quite tender so still can't sleep on that side. If I roll onto it during the night while I'm asleep, it's more tender next day. I also have some numbness on my rh side but it's all a small price to pay for being pain free. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hello again. Half the staples are out and the rest tomorrow. There is still a lump of swelling along the incision so I hope it does go down soon. I might have overdone things yesterday with a bit of gardening etc. At least I'm eating normally... Must be patient! 

• Posted

Not sure you should be gardening! You're supposed to avoid anything strenuous. You can do real damage to yourself. Think keeping active by walking is safest.

Glad you're eating ok. Lots of people complain they can't eat normally without dire side effects.

• Posted

Thanks both. I'll try to be patient. I'm a worrier, after a bowel cancer scare, about any type of surgery! 'Luckily' it's winter here so nothing much to do outside involving lifting etc. And the British Lions rugby team are touring so I allowed to take it easy. 

• Posted

Hi, John,

Generally speaking about 8 weeks.  Just remember your internal parts will take much longer to heal.  Good luck to you!  

• Posted

It's now just over 3 months since my gallbladder was removed. I know that I'm still obtaining bile directly from my liver, but notice that recently my BM's have been yellowish rather than brownish. I have only half a bowel after surgery 45 months ago and BM's have never been that great since. I can understand that. I was told I could eat normally after the gallbladder surgery, but maybe I should watch the fried stuff, ice cream etc? I eat ice cream almost every day and also chocolate. As I said, I wasn't given any dietary advice. There is so much on Dr Google and I try to avoid it as I scared myself silly after my bowel surgery which was cancer. I'll spare you the details of that! Except that I'm ok so far as recurrence and spreading is concerned. My Dr is ok with questions but I don't like to ask too many in the 10 minutes or so I should take. I'm 71 and avoid alcohol. 

Thanks team. confused

• Posted

I know they say you can eat normally afterwards but I've come to the conclusion that 'normally' actually means healthily. I can eat small amounts of chocolate (2 mouthfuls) but not ice cream, which I was addicted to. Instead I buy frozen Belgian chocolate yogurt. I can eat one egg, but not two and maybe a slice of pizza if it's not heavy with cheese. Spicy foods like curry make me ill.  I can't eat full fat cheese. However my appetite has returned and I'm able to enjoy food again. I try to eat plenty of fruit and veg and lean meat and fish. I can eat oily fish like salmon and even have the odd lean 8oz rump steak, but stick mainly to chicken and white fish. Occasionally I might eat about six chips as a treat, but otherwise if I fry at all, it is with a couple of squirts from an oil spray, so I'm still eating pretty much low fat. Try baking a potato, cutting it into wedges, spray lightly with oil and crisp up in oven - just as delicious as chips! Think maybe you need to ask about dietary advice due to the added complication of your bowel issue. You don't have to live on lentils and brown rice but daily ice cream and chocolate are a bit naughty.

• Posted

Thanks! Food for thought so to speak or write. I might have to write down what I eat and what happens later. I had never equated normal eating with healthy eating, just normal for me, which I agree is a bit naughty at times. My Dr said last visit he could arrange a dietician, so I may do that. As you said, half a bowel and no gb probably has had some effect! Your chip substitute idea is definitely worth a try. I can tolerate a curry but have the indigestion liquid handy during the night. I'm afraid to eat a steak as that was my last meal before my acute bowel surgery, so it's an irrational fear really. 

Thanks so much for your comments. I shall go to bed now and think. question

• Posted

I've arranged to see a dietician. My BM's are now ok first thing then very loose and browny yellow about an hour later. But it's good to get rid of it! As I mentioned before, half a bowel and gallbladder missing must have some effect. But I'm a worrier and hope to get some answers. A colonoscopy due in a month or two, something else to think about. (It's the 4 year one since bowel cancer surgery.) Oh well, the daylight hours are longer than the dark hours from today down under. Something to be cheerful about maybe. Best wishes and thanks for replies so far. confused

• Posted

Good luck with your check up John. Just had my six monthly one and everything ok I'm relieved to say- for now anyway. Next one in six months!

I hope the dietician can help you with your diet. Maybe not admit to the chocolate and ice cream at first?? I've started to eat Green and Blacks dark chocolate, just about 100 calories worth a day and not every day and found I can tolerate that. Still eating the chocolate frozen yogurt as an ice cream substitute, but it's 0% fat. Got to the point now after a year where I don't crave chips or other 'bad' foods. I seem to have found foods I like which are healthy. Yesterday went out for lunch in a pub in Sherwood Forest and they had an under 500 calories section on their menu so had beef tagliatelle and salad (no dressing) - very tasty! I know it's hard to change at our age, but I want to live to see my five grandchildren grow up.

It's been a tough year for my family. Husband was admitted for emergency surgery to his knee when I was just four weeks post liver resection and daughter 2 had a miscarriage. We are all (11 of us) off for a weekend break soon and I'm looking forward to that. I'm 68 next week and it's a birthday I thought I might not see, so all going out for afternoon tea to celebrate. Small steps, John. Little goals to achieve.

Good luck! Enjoy your summer - ours has been dreadful!!!

• Posted

Thanks Sick of Waiting. I'll read your post again tomorrow and take it all in. Watching the General Election come in now. Relieved that at last it's just about all over! A very intense campaign. 

• Posted

Hi there. Sorry to read of your family problems and hope that you are managing ok. I heard from my Dr's surgery that the hospital had not yet forwarded the dietician request! Hmmm. So a longer wait. I'm actually tempted to pay for it now. ?I've also heard that the colonoscopy due next month won't be until January. I wear a corset during the day as I've had three open surgeries in about 3 1/2 years and it seems to help keep things more comfortable. But now I'm wondering if it is the cause of my intestinal discomfort. Another question for my Dr.

Enjoy your birthday, or hope you did enjoy it! 

?Regards, John. 

• Posted

Well everyone is different of course, but I couldn’t bear to wear a corset, even now, seven months on. I couldn’t wear anything tight, not even a waistband, for weeks after surgery, though I’m back into jeans now. I still get slight rh side discomfort in lower rib area which is worse if I’ve lain awkwardly on it in bed.

The worst thing for me is tiredness. Maybe I’m trying to do too much, but at times I just can’t keep my eyes open. Sometimes I wake from a nap surprised that I’ve been asleep! 

Hopefully my family have all come through our health issues and are getting back to normal. It’s been a bit chaotic! Definitely want to put 2017 to the back of my mind.

Apart from the first week or two, I’ve had little issue with my bowels. I increased fibre cautiously as daughter 1 suggested, thinking it’d make motions looser, but she was right - it did stabilise everything.  Still can’t eat a lot of fatty food all at once, so no fish and chips type of meals but otherwise I seem to be ok. Actually I can eat fish and chips so long as it’s the bake in the oven sort- just the deep fried version that still affects me. So still being cautious with fatty foods. Generally opt for salads or lean roasts with veg.

As your doctor had offered dietary advice, can’t understand why he’d delay referring you to a dietician. Also why the delay with your colonoscopy? Sounds like your health service is almost as bad as ours in England. Scotland and wales are both different to English NHS- free prescriptions in Scotland for one thing!!

Anyway, John, I hope you’re feeling better soon. Take care!

• Posted

Hello again. Yes, there are problems with the health service, more so down south where I live. But lots of pre election promises. That was a week ago but it will have to be a coalition govt so no decision for a while yet! My Dr did send the application to the hospital but they didn't send it on to the right dept. I think that's what happened, or didn't... 

I had three ops, one was the removal of a lot of bowel because of a tumour, then an enormous hernia was repaired using mesh, followed this May by the gallbladder removal. Lost some weight. I was never given any dietary advice except that I could eat anything. Maybe they didn't realise just what I did actually eat. I need someone like your daughter 1 to keep an eye on me! Or a dietician, going back to my latest campaign! 

We pay for Dr visits here but the prescriptions and medicatin are largely free. I get 4 Dr visits a year at a reduced price and there is no charge for the follow up consultations etc. 

Bed time. Have a good weekend. Stay well! 

• Posted

Saw a dietician yesterday. My diet seems ok, even with the ice cream and minimal chocolate. She asked about my fibre supplement which is Konsyl D and was surprised that it is only one teaspoon each afternoon. She said to take it in the morning instead ?and will ask my colorectal nurse if I should take another dose in the afternoon. I have to write down everything I eat and the BM's later and the time, using the Bristol Stool Chart. Will see her again in 3 weeks. All very interesting. Halloween night here with the sound of excited children, but no callers yet. Might eat the treats myself then. Somebody has to I suppose... Hi Joann if you read this. Hope all is ok with you and also Sickofwaiting. Thanks for your help in the past few weeks. And others who have replied too of course. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.