Gallbladder removal

Posted , 6 users are following.

Does anyone know how long they have to stay in hospital after gallbladder surgery, mine is scheduled for 12 November and I am bothered what they will have to do before I am sedated, etc and how long after generally other people have had to stay in hospital, and after when I have come home, what generally is the time that I can start moving about, I know I won't be able to do things for a while etc.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I had my op on a Sunday home on Monday afternoon..  Felt a little like my stomach had been kicked around the room ok muscle wise took about a week for that to settle. X
  • Posted

Hi it depends what kind of op your're having. If its keyhole you should be out the same day if not it'll be the next. You should have a pre op assessment and the nurse can let you know there (depends on weight and what your anaesthetist feels comfortable with) my pre op was a couple of weeks before, and only lasted about half an hour. Afterwards you'll be off work for about 2 weeks and it'll be a good week before you feel like moving properly again though you should  try and move as much as  possible even just pottering around the house. I had mine out in May, hope everything goes ok x
  • Posted

If it's keyhole surgery you will be home the next day. Your a bit slow for a few days. No vacuuming or hanging washing for 4 to 6 weeks no lifting anything heavier than 4 kg. was about a week before I was moving normally 
  • Posted

12th day after keyhole surgery, getting better slowy, do not see how expected to return to work after 2weeks. Everyone is different, do not rush it take your time. Found not enough info is given. Have not regretted it.
  • Posted

I had mine done on sat 20th sept and I was allowed home the same day done by keyhole surgery depends how your feeling was sore for a few days and was told at my pre assement not to do any housework for 2 weeks back to normal now and so relieved I had it done good luck.
  • Posted

If you having keyhole you will be out the same day or overnight.They don't do much to you before the op .Just ask questions and you have to put on compression stockings.After the op you feel a bit sore and uncomfortable but nothing major.When you get home its not a question of having to be in bed or the setee all day.You will be able to move about and do things but just a lot more slowly.The thought of having this op is much more scary than the reality.Its really not that bad.Had mine out about 5 years ago and best thing i could of done NO MORE PAIN.Hope this helps good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.