Gallbladder removal

Posted , 3 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hi, I am having my gallbladder removed on the 12th November, and 2 weeks ago I had a tooth infection and was on antibiotics, somebody told me that I should postpone the operation in case I still have an infection in my tooth, i.e. the root is cracked and I will have to have it out, I don't want to do this as I have been in pain for months with this, is there any advice for this, is she right, thanks Stella

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Stella 

when you have your pre op appointment they test your urine blood take swaps of your mouth and groin. For any infection. I am presuming you haven't had this . If they are concerned about your tooth they will put you on a course of antibiotics to take before the operation. 

if you have already had your pre op appointment and are concerned  now go to your

gp and  they may put you on a weeks course to just ensure your clear . 

Youve got plenty of time ... Try not to panic. I got like it to so desperate to have it removed terrified of getting a cold or bladder infection etc ....

• Posted

Hi sally think I have spoken to you before thanks for your comments, I have had some antibiotics from the dentist and finished them about 9 days ago but its still a bit sore as it has to come out but like you said you panic as I am desperate to have this operation and also terrified of getting a cold as the time nearing and I've had that much pain and colic from the gallbladder just want it gone now, not had my pre-op yet it will be next week, should I mention it to them, thanks Stella
    • Posted

Hi Stella ring your dentist . They can tell by X-ray if you still have an infection it shows up as a mass (pus) around the root of the tooth. You propberly haven't got an infection now and have a sensitive tooth due to the nerves being inflamed. I was a dental nurse years ago. And now days dentistry is more advanced ...plus tell the dentist you have an op and are worried dentist  do train in medical school and have a good medical knowledge .  Then the dentist can put your mind at ease. And if he thinks it might be slightly infected he can give you more antibiotics ...

any worries tell the nurse at your pre op .The pre op is to fix all little issues before your op. You'll get there ....  My friend just had a kidney removed with a cancerous tumour in it. She went to her pre op and her urine showed infection they ran her and said to collect prescription for antibiotics. She took the course had a quick urine test at gps given all clear and had op on time .

• Posted

Consult with your doctor, and continue to take your antibiotics.   On Sept 9 I had pain in my upper right side and;  went to the ER and the doctor said I had GB stones and that my GB was inflamed. He give me some antibiotics before surgery, this will help infection before and after surgery. So you should be fine. You have two more weeks for surgery. However; like I said consult with doctor.

P. S Don't worry

• Posted

An infected internal organ is much more dangerous to your life than a tooth. The pain from the gall bladder can spike and be terrible.  Also, you can actually loose your liver if the ducts block up.  The pancreas is also in danger, or you could get a rupture and have infection all through your belly.  It would be much more reasonable to wait on the tooth.  Hopefully it will calm down for a bit.  They will give you antibiotics for the surgery as well, and that may reduce the infection in your tooth. Good luck to you!

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up