Gallbladder removal

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all since waiting for my gallbladder op on the 12th November I am looking around on the computer and see allot of stories one or two for example in the daily mail saying that people have died a few days later after gallbladder ops because of other organs and bile duck being damaged, really putting me off now, what does anyone think about this, due for op in Chesterfield Royal Hospital.  Stella

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

hi stella i can understand why you would be worried, however there is risk with any medical procedure, and to be fair the daily mail is not known for responnsible journalism, it would be interesting to know the percentage of patients they are writing about, try not to worrylol

• Posted

Hi Stella

the reality is there is a big risk of a stone getting stuck in your bile duct and causing jaundice because you have a gallbladder full of stones..... You are more at risk now than after your operation . As basically after the op if your bile duct gets blocked it means they missed a stone lodged in it. 

And when you have the operation the surgeon does state there are risks of nicking another organ but they are rare. And let's be honest if either of these things happens you would be calling an ambulance if you went yellow (jaundice ) due to blocked bile duct or in agony and feeling really unwell due to them nicking an organ . They would re operate and sort it. None of us what that scenario but if it happens it can be sorted. 

I too wouldn't be too trusting of daily mail they over exaggerate and often publish apologies. 

Google gallbladder removal , I found the Mayo clinic site very informative and reassuring ... 

• Posted

Thanks again Sally for your re-assurance, I am just scared and panicking at the moment I know I have to have it done and the sooner the better, I am counting the days now, hoping I don't get a cold or anything.  Thanks again, Stella
  • Posted

Sometimes you just need to stop looking at those sights. My mom lost hers when I was a kid and my uncle just lost his last year. Theyare both fine. I will be having surgery some time soon myself. I have a daughter and husband with depression so I'm nervous too. Right now they aren't getting along. I need to stay positive that everything will go fine. The surgery are better then in the past. Hang in there and just think about the pain being gone. If you don't like or trust the hospital go to another one.
    • Posted

thanks Lori I know its been a dreadful time for me and it sounds like for you as well, I just want it over and done with, I believe the hospital surgeon is very good so I hope that part is good, thanks for your support, hope things go good for you, thanks Stella

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.