gallbladder removal

Posted , 9 users are following.

i had my gallbladder removed in 2014.and since then there as been certain foods that i cant eat as it makes me suffer with my stomach. i had been suffering for ages, went back up the doctors recently as wanted to check i wasnt suffering with ibs, becaus eof some of my symptons to be toldits normal and ill suffer all the time like it now and to cut out fat from my diet. but i didnt get told that when i had my operation. just wondering if it is normal and if i do need to stay away from fat now ive had my gallbladder removed. please offer me some advice. thanks in advance

2 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Jessy, some 10% of people have problems with IBS sypmtoms after they have their gallbladders removed because their bodys can't absorb all the bile their liver is producing.  It's called bile acid malabsorption, and there are medications that deal with it, such as Cholestyramine or Questran.  A gastroenterologist should know about it, but your GP might not.  My doctor didn't warn me about this before I had my gallbladder removed, either.  Eating low fat and staying away from acidic foods helps, too.  But it really helps to take some medication for it as well.  Hope you start feeling better soon.  What you're going through might be normal for some people who have their gallbladders removed, but not for all people.  Don't take "it's normal" as an answer if you're suffering, because something can be done for you.  Good luck!
  • Posted

Hi Jessy, I had mine removed Jan 2015, I was told to cut as much fat as I could from my diet, I have done and still like you I have symptoms like Ibs.you still need to watch what you eat, trial and error because everyone is different. Hope this helps. Sylvia.
  • Posted

That is not true. Everyone is different. Some people have no problems, and go right back to the way they were eating before gallbladder problems, and some just seem to continue to suffer the same before removal. Probably should see a GI doctor and have tests run to see if you have a digestive problem. But, just because some people don't have any problems, they should still eat better. Why would you want to chance any more gut problems? I had mine removed earlier this month, and it only took away about 20% of my symptoms. Still having digestive issues, and having to take PPI , which I'm trying to wean off of. Good luck to you!
    • Posted

Hi, Debbie, I've tried to wean myself off of PPI's, too.  Having no luck.  I've tried apple cider vinegar, rolaids, tums, lots of stuff.  It just comes back, worse.  One thing I've done is to take ranitidine at night and just take the PPI during the day.  I've also stopped drinking carbonated drinks, acidic drinks, like lemonade and orange juice.  What have you tried?  Any success?
    • Posted

I tried taking nexium pill, didn't work, I have also taken tums and Gaviscon, minor help, so now I'm only taking the nexium powder form, when I absolutely have to. I have also purchased Pepcid and something called Zegarid, just recently, but have been too chicken to try them in place of the nexium. All I know is. We cannot stay on the ppis long term, because of the other health risks. Have a GI appointment in April, so hoping for a diagnosis and an answer. 
    • Posted

i know a few people in my building and there are only 5 familes and 3 have had their gallbladder removed and iv spoken to them all and they say they  are fine. and feel well. so im hoping i will be the same as i get mine out on 11th april and am dreading it after all i'v read. however people can only talk about whats happening with them and thier own experience but not all people seem to have problems thats why they are not on forums. i came on the forum when i found out i had one large gallstone 24mm and spoke about all the different symptoms as there were so many and some so painfull that i thought there was more wrong with me than my gallbladder. however its all gallbladder related. i'v had 3 weeks of nausea this time. as you say debbie everyone is different. 
    • Posted

Hi cheeky.

i am also having my gallbladder removed the same days as you 11th april after waiting 6 months and two admissions to hospital as i was jaundice they think i must of passed one of my stones but was too poorly to operate then so im hoping things get better and can eat normal again .but after reading other peoples threads on here im not so sure but at least i will know i wont be in again with severe attack and stones getting stuck in bile duct .  good luck with your op and recovery . linda

• Posted

all the very best to you. i will be thinking of you. good luck. we need it.❤️🙏
    • Posted

How bizarre is that?!  nana loon and cheeky having their operations on the same day!  I wish you both the very best of luck.  We are all behind you both all the way.  Let us know how you get on when you are feeling up to it obviously.  Sending you both very best wishes and the warmest regards.
  • Posted

I'm having mine out on friday and my dream told me its 50/50. It can take away the nausea but it also can do nothing and I will have to stay away from fats. Sorry for the bad news sad
    • Posted

Good luck!  Remember to be gentle with yourself!  Let us know how you get on, please!wink
  • Posted

Me too Jessy - Nov 2014.  I was told during post-op that I could eat ANYTHING I wanted.  I've always been healthy and always worked out and belonged to a gym.  I feel often that I have to have a bowel movement but don't.  Or I have several.  Its so inconsistent.  I thought last summer I had a parasite and was hysterical.  I went thru tests.  Nothing.  I even went on Zyfaxin.  I think I spelled it incorrectly.  I felt almost human again while on it.  About a month after that the symptoms returned.  I'm so disgusted.  Is this the new "normal" for us??

• Posted

Hi Jessy,

I think as others have said on here, it varies from person to person. I had mine out in Feb last year, and have been lucky really and am able to eat nearly everything that I could before with the exception of Soft Cheese (philadelphia) which now gives me the same symptoms you describe. Yet really fatty foods like fish & chips from the chip shop dont bother me at all. Its weird.

• Posted

Jessy, I think the other posters have got it covered for you really.  I think it is a question of working out what works for you.  Without being rude is it loose stools that is bothering you?  If that is the case you may want to cut down on fibre and go all white on bread and pasta.  If it is constipation, then up your fibre.  I have the tendancy towards constipation which can be very painful but thankfully it doesn't make me housebound.  I think we are all different.  I'm hoping you will get there.  And I don't mean to be funny, but try not to worry.  That can led to all sorts of issues too.  Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.