Gallbladder removal

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am scheduled to have my gallbladder removed in one week. I have never had a surgery so super nervous. I have been dealing with discomfort for 5 years. My most annoying symptom is nausea all the time that comes and goes. Has anyone else experienced this and did it resolve after surgery? 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

HI 

i also was so so nervous but the operation is very straightforward and although I cried with nerves when they took me down to surgery I came round feeling ok .. the first thing I noticed was I didn’t feel the constant nauseous billiousness I had got used to , the first 3 days my shoulders ached which I hadn’t been warned of the gas they inflate your abdomen with makes its way out of you up through your shoulders ... it’s bearable I took paracetamol at night to sleep .. 

within days I discovered I could eat maltessers without feeling sick .. 

i had initially stuck to my bland diet of toast , boiled potatoes boiled veg etc .. but within days I realised I could widen my diet ..

i can genuinely say it was the best thing ever to have got shot of a rotten gallbladder and the fear of agonising painful attacks .. my nerves settled , I learnt that although I felt better I needed to heal inside .. I swept the floor 10 days after operation and felt like a mule had kicked me ..oops didn’t do anything strenuous  abdominals for the full 6 weeks .. but I was out about enjoying life within 2 weeks .. 

i know you are scared I was .. it’s natural .. but once done you can concentrate on healing and get on with a pain free life 👍

i am 4 years post op now ..

let us know how it goes 

sally 

• Posted

I have tried low fat diet,to avoid surgery and lost weight, which i really don't need to. I had 2 bad attacks in the last 4 days. I feel I do need surgery since I cannot live like this. I also am scared since I do not like being under anesthesia. However, I will hear from my surgeon tomorrow and probably set up surgery. 😞

• Posted

Marie , 

we all get it done when we reach that point when our quality of life is affected and we know it’s the time ... then mentally we are able to cope with the operation and the recovery .. we also know there are risks to leaving it in and it’s better to have it removed calmly on our terms instead of in a mad rush from A and E due to infection etc or jaundice ... 

youll get it done when you are ready to .. and then you’ll wish you’d done it early 👍😊

• Posted

JUst thought 

ask for an anti sick med from the anaesthetist to counteract the sickness caused by the anaesthetic ... it’s very common to be sick from the anaesthetic and the anti sick med is injected in your arm before the anaesthetic and it totally works 👌

• Posted

Thanks for replying. My fear is just being wheeled into,the operating room and waiting to be put out. Last time I had surgery, I was given some thing to relax me so once they took me into the operating room I didn't care s out anything, just wanted to,sleep

• Posted

I’ve always walked into a little room beside the theatre. Been given the anaesthetic there so never see the inside of the theatre. Have had 6 surgeries and they’ve all been like that. Lie down on the bed and they attach the ecg leads to your chest/stomach, blood pressure cuff and saturation probe to your finger. Then either put a cannula in or flush the one you have in. Then they put an oxygen mask on your face and ask you to take a few deep breaths of that while they inject the anaesthetic. After that you don’t wake up until you’re in recovery talking nonsense haha xx
  • Posted

Hi Shina 2005 

I felt similarly nervous and was petrified about the surgery, however the nausea you described I experienced daily with the painful gallbladder attacks I could never manage . However I had an extremely positive experience of keyhole surgery and I had good recovery, like other people say its sensible to be gentle with yourself post operatively. It is liberating not having the nauseous feeling every waking hour with poor apetite due to the gallbladder - I’m sure you will have no regrets ! 

Best wishes. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.