Gallbladder removal ..a strange little organ!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Well first I have to say I did want tto keep my gallbladder, however, during removal the surgeon found my gallbladder was actually attached or had grown into my stomach wall, and was inflamed and infected. I guess good thing having it removed due to the unforeseen. I lost 18 pounds in 7 weeks, due to the stomach not working properly to aid in food digestion, and the gallbladder function failed over time. The surgeon said my occurrence was very rare, but he had seen it before. I had a ton of previous testing, like CT with dye, endo, colonoscopy, HIDA, and ultrasound. None diagnosed my condition. As I write, I am about 10 hours post op. The first couple hours were a little painful, but now I am very sore. I have taken 3-800 milligram Ibuprophen, and it works well. I have been walking around the house every few hours with no complications and laying on a heating pad in between is a great help. I still am eating squeezable baby food, and one boiled egg. So far so good. I will keep to a low fat diet as instructed. I intend not to put back on the pounds due to my own stupidity. To go back eating whatever-you- want is crazy. I have suffered too much to go out and binge eat. Hopefully my post will help or comfort someone.who may be facing gallbladder removal.

one less a gallbladder... In Alabama

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Diane,

?Good thing you had the surgery it seems, this is the problem with gallbladders, we can't always find out what is actually going on until they open up.

?I've been waiting nearly a year now with lots of delays by the hospital (you will guess I'm in the UK) and I wondered at times if fate was telling me it was not meant to be but I am not doing well not having the surgery even following all the advice and taking remedies.

?I hope you do well, you seem to have a very sensible approach.

Regards, Cynthia

• Posted

Hi Lynda,

?Still nothing happening on gallbladder front.

?I'm now on a list for a knee replacement and have a date for the pre -op in December, but the surgeon says the gb needs to be done first as they don't want any potential sources of inflammation or infection in the body that might spread into the joint. I'm sure the gb troubles have made my joints so much worse. neutral

?How are you though? Are you feeling any further recovered from your ops?

?Any plans for the festive season? My eldest daughter likes to host the family meal at her flat, I'm hoping to be able to eat & feel better than last year even though I still have my gb and hope you can too, without yours.

?Take care now, C xx

• Posted

So good to hear from you!  Sorry to learn that you still have your gallbladder!  Too bad your orthopedic surgeon can't lean on a general surgeon of his acquaintance to relieve you of it!

Doing okay, finally starting to gain weight (not sure I'm glad about that) and get some walking in.  That's been in only about the last couple of weeks.  It has taken me a while.

My husband and I don't have big plans for Thanksgiving or Christmas.  Our children are out of town. Our daughter just became re-employed after several months, so she'll probably be working on that weekend.  Our son and daughter in law usually go to her mother's for Thanksgiving.

No complaints, though.  The first 8 months of this year were taken up in feeling ill, finding out I had cancer, then the surgery to remove it and early recovery.  So, I'm very willing to take the last couple of months, easy.

Please keep in touch, and, if you wish, private message me to let me know how you're doing! xxx

Lynda 

• Posted

Hello, this is day 2 of post op lap procedure to remove my gallbladder. It's been a little difficult to sleep, however most of my discomfort is the incision between my ribcaage (over the stomach) My Sugeon called in prescription for Daulidid (a form od morphine). I only took 1 so far. Works good, but makes you sleepy. I do believe I may attempt to drive tomorrow.  I hate being cooped up in the house. I am very pleased with the decision to remove it.  That pain I had is gone, except from being sore. I usually will take 800 ml if Ibuprophen, it takes a lot the soreness out, and I lay on heating pad. This seems to help me relax. I do not regret having it removed,. I have always believed God put the gallbladder there for a reason. I also know now to watch my diet. I know in order to not overwork the liver, it's up to me to change my eating as a lifestyle change.  Hope this encourages those who may be facing surgery. I must say this is not a bad surgery, don't be anxious. All my surgery was performed on outpatient day surgery. Let us all know how you are doing.

signed, Happy I made the decision to remove it.

• Posted

Hi, Diane,

Seems to me you're doing really, really well! I am so glad to know that! Now you can get well!  

Please continue to let me know how you do! xxx

• Posted

Hi, Diane,

Wow!  What a surprise that must have been!  I'm glad that your gallbladder could be removed!  

Please take care of yourself and give yourself time to recover!  Let us know how you get on!

• Posted

Lydia,

Thanks for your encouragement!! I have not regretted my decision. ( I really did want to keep it.) This is 2 day post op, and I am doing remarkably well. Don't need any pain pills, just use Ibuprophen for soreness. Other than that this is the first time I have felt normal. Thanks again for your encouragement. It means so much.

• Posted

I am glad that you're doing so well.  Please remember to take it easy!  You've just had major surgery.  You will heal on the outside faster than you will heal on the inside.  

For some people it can be up to a year before they feel well, but I'm sure that won't be the case for you!

Please let me know how your recovery proceeds!

• Posted

To all..

This is day 3 post op. No diarrhea, a little constipated. I was told the anestesia can slow up the system temporarily. Took 2 Ibuprophen and 1 Tylenol over the course of the day. The soreness is almost gone. Still on the heating pad some, just to make me relax a bit. Feeling more normal. Wow. Glad the little green pear shaped thing has been donated to science! I want to thank you all for all your comments and encouragement I ate a little tuna and an apple along with my daily doses of fiber and probiotics. I did add a bile salt enzyme taken tight before eating. I will periodically update my status post op. Again, thanks to you all.

one less gallbladder....in Alabama

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.