Gallbladder removal issues

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, has anyone taken any bile replacement supplements or digestive enzymes? If so did they help and what brand did you use? I had my gallbladder removed 3 months ago and have been sick since having it out with nausea, pain under my ribs, fatigue, loss of appetite, diarrhea and I've lost 20 lbs. Just wondering if they would help and wanted to see what others experience is with taking either of them.

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I tried them a bunch and they only made matters worse. If you are having diarrhea I would suggest looking up Bile Acid Diarrhea/ Bile Acid Malabsorption. A lot of people have that post gallbladder, mine started 3 months post and now almost a year later I still have it. I also was having right side pain, and loss of appetite until I started watching my diet. For me that means, no rich fatty foods/ dairy/ coffee I also stay away from gluten sometimes, not always.

You should also ask your GI if the diarrhea continues for bile binder like Questran/ Welchol. These help by binding the excess bile that is sitting in your stomach due to a lack of gallbladder- it just sits there dripping from your liver irritating your stomach all day, and especially over night when your stomach has no food for the bile to help digest. If you can't get your hands on a rx bile binder try Acacia fiber(Whole foods/ Amazon) mix 1 tablespoon with water and drink when you first wake up or before bed. You can also try Psyllium husk fiber or a brand name Metamucil, but start slow with these as they can cause some gas and cramps until you get used to the psyllium. Natural binders will attach to the bile and help flush it out of you stomach. They also help bind your stool, so you can get things more solid.

So think about diet, and bile binders either natural or rx.

• Posted

Hello, thanks for your response. How long ago was your surgery and how long did it take for you to feel better? What kind of foods do you eat most?

• Posted

I had my gb out in Feb of this year by June i started with right side pain, diarrhea and more.

I am still not 100% but can say these foods seem to be ok for me

almond & oat milk, decaf coffee &tea

white rice, ALL potatoes, sometimes quinoa, all lean meat(turkey, chicken) gluten free breads/pasta(i try to stay gluten free)

most salad, brussels sprouts, cooked beans, olives, some parmesan cheese(hard cheeses have less lactose) tomatoes, pepper, cucumbers, very tiny amt of avocados, olive oil.. egg whites

basically low fat, low /no dairy, try a diary. and for diarrhea acacia fiber

• Posted

also forgot to add oatmeal as a good food

and maple syrup can be used as a sweetener in all things

stay away from buttery/fried high fat, cheesy, high carb foods,

for me sometimes fruits bother me.

• Posted

Thank you Jenn. How long did was it when you started to see some improvement and could eat more? What symptoms did you have after surgery?

• Posted

my GI started me on a prescription binder Welchol, it worked to stop the frequent bowl movements and stomach pain in 48 hours. but, it started giving me body aches and headaches. now i take a natural binder called Acacia fiber once a day. my symptoms were/ are sometimes still stomach cramps, right side pain, and loose stool and loud stomach noises, i believe i may have to bile reflux too. I STILL have to watch what i eat and carry immodium pills with me in case of an emergency. but most days i do well eating a lot of different low fat foods. no caffeine

• Posted

I have been using the Acacia fiber. I put it in soft foods like dairy free yogurt or oatmeal. I put a tablespoon of it in them. How much of it do you take in a day and do you put it in water? How long did it take for you to notice a difference?

• Posted

also did you ever feel nauseous and loss of appetite?

• Posted

not nauseous, i get more of a headache and gnawing feeling and often have to chew gum/eat.

i take the fiber 1table spoon in water before breakfast. i think i may need more some days. just had to complete a special diet and no acacia for 48hrs because my GI tested me for SIBO, im negative btw. but its been hellish without the fiber, and its taken me a few days to get better, so i know it works!

• Posted

try the Questran powders, they can helo enormously with these symptoms after gb removal.

good luck

• Posted

Ill be having mine out soon getting kind of scared reading all the bad symptoms that come after it.but i did read about something called ox bile they sell on amazon and the reviews sound very encouraging for people with problems afterwards.I hope my surgery goes smooth.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.