Gallbladder Removal Q's

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, everyone! My name's Gracie and after a few months of nausea, burning and constant belching I finally got my gallbladder removed about a week ago! My gallbladder must've been going bad for a long time because my surgeon told my parents after surgery that my gb looked pretty rough. It's been very difficult to watch some people come out of surgery and feel great and eat whatever! I have not yet graduated to that and I'm starting to worry that I never will. My stomach is still burning after some meals. Trust me, I am NOT eating anything fatty or spicy. I'm eating sliced turkey, rice, bananas, oatmeal, etc. Nothing acidic. No seasoning. I'm even eating gluten free and dairy free because a friend with their gb removed recommended doing that after surgery. With all that being said, I'm still experiencing some weird acid feeling in the pit of my stomach that maybe lasts like an hour after some meals. I'm lucky that I'm not having much diarrhea. I wonder if this is my digestive system trying to get back on track? It has only been about a week so maybe I need to give myself more time? Have any of y'all tried Aloe Vera juice? Should I start drinking that? Btw I had an endoscopy before my surgery so I know I do not have any irritation in my stomach so that's good news I guess! But I definitely don't wanna just ignore this and end up doing some damage later on! I hope all of you are on the road to recovery, whether you choose surgery or not! I'm still glad I did either way smile

0 likes, 4 replies

Report / Delete

4 Replies

  • Posted

    Hi Gracie,

    Congratulations on your surgery.  Your body is probably still sorting things out. If you can tolerate dairy and gluten, there's really no need to remove them from your body--especially if you've had no trouble with them before.  But you are wise to introduce things slowly. You are pretty much eating carefully.  Frequent, small meals will be much easier on your system.  

    You might have some acid indigestion going on--if it continues, have a talk with your doctor.

    Best of luck to you!   

    Take it easy, and you'll probably

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Hi Gracie, I am guessing its likely as your only a week post surgeyr and it can take time. I would stick with the gluten and dairy free as they are not healthy for your gut or body anyway and keep going, try bone broth which is super healing.

    Good luck x

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    It takes 2-3 weeks for the digestive system to settle down. I was prescribed Omeprazole by the hospital and I think this is helping. I am almost three months post surgery. I had one bout of diarrhoea soon after surgery but nothing since. I am still eating smaller meals and low fat but also high fibre as this helps soak up the bile. I have tried small amounts of pizza, fish (batter removed) with six chips and I have a Chinese takeaway once a week. I don't drink any alcohol now. I find if I don't overload my stomach and avoid very fatty foods I am fine. I had no appetite just after surgery and it took a while to get it back. I had to force myself to eat small amounts as I knew I had to eat in order to recover.

    I've had further surgery since my gallbladder surgery so it has taken me a while to get over it and I am 67 but in otherwise good health. I take no medication except for the Omeprazole and inhalers for asthma so I think I'm doing well.

    My advice to you is to try and gradually increase the amount of fibre you eat and ask your GP for Omeprazole. Keep eating smaller meals more frequently rather than sticking to three meals a day.

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    I had mine out just before xmas 2016,also told my gb was in a bad way,even tho ive always eaten carefully, im still suffering with pains in stomach tho,going back to docs next week,see what they say??, just take things carefully no lifting, all best,terry
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up