Gallbladder removed 5 days ago. Lack of oxygen?

Posted , 5 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I am 28 years old. Had gallbladder surgery 5 days ago and I just feel extra exhausted and like I can't catch my breath or can't get deep enough breaths. When I stand up I feel my heart start pounding and like there's a rubber band around my head. I have been yawning non stop and no matter how much sleep I get, I still feel so tired that I can't breath. No complications with surgery and I was home the same night. Is this lack of oxygen or something else serious? Or is it normal?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

It's normal, you just had a major procedure and your body is recuperating. Are you obsessed. Are you a smoker. Drink plenty of pineapple juice, it makes you feel faster. You can Google it. If you still having problems consult your surgeon.

I think you will be fine.

• Posted

Did they give you a Spirometer to breath for your lungs. They give you it after surgeries. It stops you from having respiratory problems.
  • Posted

I was exhausted for a good couple of weeks after the surgery. The gas they use to inflate your stomach can be really painful which doesn’t help when you try to take a deep breath. I’ve felt like that before where you feel like you can’t catch your breath. Seems to be the more conscious you are of it the worse you feel. Try not to focus on the breathing (know that sounds nuts). But do something to take your mind off concentrating on breathing and you’ll find there’s not actually an issue with it. Short walks around the house helps to disperse the carbon dioxide gas in the stomach too. 

It’s a major surgery so rest as much as you need to. You need sleep to heal. Then eating little and often also helps. The body needs food, water and all the vitamins and minerals from these to help heal as well. Rest up and hope you’re feeling better soon xx

• Posted

Yes, Scottie you are correct and very good information. You advice is very good just like a doctors plus You went through it and a lot of doctors never did .
  • Posted

Hello 

So sorry to hear your not feeling so well, I had my gallbladder removed in March and can empathise. I felt a restriction on my breathing but this was totally down to the feeling of post surgery and the area where the keyhole was inserted around the top middle section, it was there I felt was restricting for me. I also felt like that I couldn’t fully get a breath for at least a week to 10 days. I did see a GP who reassured me of any worries in day 6, have you considered doing this ? It may give you a piece of mind. I think the assumption with keyhole is for a speedy recovery but you cannot underestimate how it feels for the individual. Just try to be gentle with yourself and take the time to recover, try sleeping propped up that helped my breathing too and he generally had a pillow in the side my gallbladder was removed for sitting too. Hope this helps to reassure you, kind regards 

Lisa x

• Posted

Hi, I had my surgery a week ago today. I had no post op problems (other than sickness on the first night) and have felt remarkably well since. I've managed to do all normal things, today carrying heavy shopping and bending and stretching to clean my chicken runs out. I was only tired when on the painkillers, which I stopped on day 3.  

However I know what you mean about the breathing, as if you can't get enough air in. I remember being told to take deep breaths when I came out of the anaesthetic and I think, because of where the surgery is, we tend not to take deep breaths hence the light headed feeling. I was getting worried I had a blood clot in the lungs (!) so really glad to find this is quite normal smile 

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up