Gallbladder removed

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello..I had Laparoscopic gallbladder removal on Mon June 12...and boy was I scared because it was the first time for me ever having surgery. I'm 4 days into recovery and I'm feeling ok just a little sore around the incisions. The first few days was the worst I was vomiting and in severe pain. Feeing much better now. Has anyone had issues with not being able to eat a lot. I notice that i can only eat small meals that are low in fat and cholesterol; and this bloating feeling is the pits. I heard over time your appetite will come back.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Yes it does. Mine was removed with open surgery and I felt quite nauseous for two days or so, even with the medication provided. But three weeks on, I'm eating normally and probably putting back the 4 kg I lost! You'll be fine soon. 

• Posted

Oh ok. Well that's good to know. Oh great! gaining back to weight I lost is not a good thing for me , lol

• Posted

Hi Cherie

I had suffered from loss of appetite for months before I had surgery. In fact that was probably my first symptom, but I ignored it. Never ignore loss of appetite! I even LOST weight over Christmas 2016!

After open surgery and a liver resection five weeks after the cholecystectomy, I was completely off food. I'd order something, but when it came, I could only manage a couple of mouthfuls and, even then, my stomach felt like I'd eaten three courses. I had the nurses tut-tutting at me for not eating up and they were recording how little I'd eaten. I just felt so full. I was like this for about two or three weeks.

I'm now three months post op and doing well. My appetite has returned though maybe not to same level as before all the gallbladder business. I definitely eat smaller meals now. I find I can eat just about everything without any issues so long as I don't eat too much fat in one sitting, hence I haven't tried Indian takeaway yet but I've had pizza, Chinese takeaway and fish (batter removed) and a few chips. I didn't eat chocolate for seven months, but I can eat small amounts now.

Otherwise I eat healthily: lean meat and fish with salad or veg, potatoes, rice and pasta and fruit, yogurt and jellies. I even have the occasional chocolate biscuit and homemade curry (you know exactly what's in it if you make it yourself and make it low fat). I used to love ice cream but had to stay off it whilst I was ill. I find frozen yogurt a good replacement : Moo or Waitrose Belgian Chocolate are both very good. I use Flora light instead of butter now and I have skimmed milk.

I have gradually increased my fibre intake (wholemeal bread, cereals and pasta, skins on jacket potatoes etc) as this helps soak up excess bile.

I was prescribed Omeprazole in hospital which I still take, but not sure I still need it. Saw GP on Friday and she wants me to take it until my hospital check up in September. Otherwise I take no meds other than inhalers for asthma.

Just take it easy. Don't lift, don't overdo exercise, drink plenty and gradually introduce fats and fibre and you will be fine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.