Gallbladder removed but still unwell

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all

I had my gallbladder removed in June this year due to having choloecysititis which was caused by a gallstone being stuck in the neck of the gallbladder. I was in so much pain and and im now free from that pain but im still having lots of issues. I suffer with lots of diarrheoa and stomach cramps, fatigue, indegestion and terrible itchness. The itching has been going on for 18 months but it was put down to the gallbladder problem by doctors. My GP has done blood tests and a stool sample yesterday and is testing for lots of things, he is wondering now if the gallstones were caused by another condition to do with my bowel or liver. I was just wondering if anyone had been through anything similar? 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Wish I had something to offer except to say,  I understand and have been through most of this.  I've had many tests, many.  Now, they next plan is to do some extensive liver tests.  Don't give up though.  No one knows better than you do about the pain.  It is still a mystery but, if you keep them looking, I just know there will be answers.
  • Posted

I had mine gb out in July and was fine up until a couple of days ago. Now I've got diarrhoea and cramps. Actually took some buscopan today for the first time since the op. I don't know if it's something I've eaten or what but a doctors visit is due I think. I don't have itching though. The only time I've had that was when pregnant and was tested for obstetric cholestasis which is caused by the liver but the result was negative.

I hope they find out what's causing it and help with everything else. A few people are on omeprozale so maybe that will help you.

All the best

• Posted

Hi Jen am sorry to hear your suffering. Unfortunately so many of us have side effects after this surgery. For most it is temporary and will settle down slowly over time as your body adjusts to working without a gallbladder. Most doctors will tell you side effects are rare but there a lot more common than we are told. Have you had the diarrhea since the operation and is it yellow bile? Has it improved at all? I had mine removed last December and had all the symptoms you had and vomiting too. They thought the itchy skin was to do with my liver but in fact my iron stores (ferritin) were low and I had to had an infusion to bring them up to normal. Indigestion is common after surgery. I was on an antacid ppi drug prior to my surgery and for a few months afterwards and had a scope and my stomach was fine so I came off them. I wouldn't take these drugs unless you have had a scope and have been diagnosed with gastritis or reflux disease as they can cause diarrhea in some people and now research has shown a link between them and heart attack and also gallbladder problems! I had bile pouring out of me and tried Imodium and a bile binder medication questran which just made me sick. I have been taking psyllium husk powder with digestive enzymes which helps break down the food we eat. It's brilliant for the diarrhea and indigestion and I can now eat what I want with no issues. I also take probiotics which may help you too. There are a number of causes of gallbladder problems but it's usually due to excess estrogen in the body caused by birth control pills/injections, hormone drugs and also being overweight causes excess estrogen too. The liver which is responsible for filtering everything we put into our bodies cannot handle the excess estrogen and the bile becomes thicker and more sludgy and gallbladder problems ensue. I am also taking milk thistle extract which helps the liver detox and get rid of the excess estrogen and is good for indigestion and diarrhea too. I know many people who had side effects but most got better within a year. There are a small percentage of people who get bile salt diarrhea after gallbladder removal which is a life long condition managed by taking bile binders. They now believe that those who get this are deficient in a particular hormone and are currently working on a synthetic version of the drug which I believe will be available next year. Anyway I just wanted you to know your not alone. I posted here many times since last December and some times got replies but mostly didn't with some people suggesting I just get on with it! It's easy for others who haven't had these side effects to comment when they haven't gone through it themselves. No one expects to have surgery and suffer all these horrible side effects and it does affect you psychologically too. You will get better. It just takes time. X
  • Posted

I to understand what you are going thru, and have suffering the same symtoms. I went back again to GP after 3  bowel accidents while out and the sickness. both of which l cannot control.

I am now going in next week to have camera down for the 3rd time to see if they can find out why so much pain, sickness and discomfort in that area. I had keyhole surgery for Gall bladder removal and was sent home some 6 hrs later with just instructions from nurse how to change the 3 dressing. I saw my GP for follow up as never got referred back for the follow up with hospital consultant even though have had problems since day one of Op.

Our GP's  are only General Practitioners not strong in any paticular field of medicine, they are over stretched and alot of them over worked

You have done the right thing as l feel if you dont persist they will try to fob us off. I hope all goes well and u get the treatment to help you

• Posted

Hi Marion am sorry your suffering too. I'm not sure if your gp has mentioned post cholecystectomy syndrome to you. Doctors do know about this syndrome. My gp told me about it after my surgery and when I was having problems. Also some people get sphincter of oddi after the surgery so you may want to look into that too. Take care x
    • Posted

Hi thanks for this l will mention when l see consultant next week

The prob for me and some others is  beening told different things by different doctors as with my uncontrolled bowel l  have just been told that although not common it seems some  people with a bowel problem b4 Op  a few find its worse after which has happened to me. I have had to change the food l eat as all soft fruits/spicey/fried/dairy/wholewheat products trigger sickness and bowel prob. The only positive thing is l have lost weight and dropped a size in clothes. rolleyes

• Posted

I had my gallbladder removed at end of April.

Better than I was but still quite a bit of pain.

GP seems to think it may be IBS or there might be a small stone stuck in my bile duct.

Pain in rectum particularly after opening my bowels.

Waiting for an appointment for an endoscopy.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.