Gallbladder removed when can I look after grandchild

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I had my gallbladder removed on the 5/5/17 so 7 days ago, very painful when I try to just do house work, I'm due to have my grandson this coming Monday 15/5, I look after him every Monday/Tuesday while daughter is at work, I'm scared that this is to early to be looking after him as he's only 10 mth so does need a lot of attention and picking up, iv told my daughter I will be fine to have him, but deep down I know that I'm still havin these stabbing pains in my stomach and feels sore inside, I don't want to let my daughter down as she does not have any one eles to look after him, if I take things easy as I can, do u think all should be ok? Is there any one who as there own children or grandchild and have no choose but to carry on??? Or as any one damaged there self for over doing things, troulble is life as to go on, and u just can't stop and do nothing can we?? Any help from any one out there will help

Cheers Dawn 😩X

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

First of all this is too early to be lifting your grandson.

If you had key hole surgery it is no lifting for 3 weeks.

If you had the bigger operation it is 6 weeks.

Do not take this risk I'm sure your daughter will understand.

She will have to make other arrangements.

You have to think of yourself here.

What happens if you do an injury to yourself?

Take care

Sarah

• Posted

Hi thanks for getting back, I really don't know what to do about having my grandson, I know it is stupid to do this at a early stage, but new mums must have to cope with children when having gall bladder removed.... it was key hole surgery, iv tried to rest as much as I can, but some times you forget, and maybe twist the wrong way, and ouch feels like a sharp knife in side, I hate letting people down, that's y I said I'd be ok having him for the two days, but does scare me alittle as never thought I'd feel this way after opp... I had a knee opp 6 weeks ago, and did recover quit quick, but this one seems to keep giving me a jab to remind me that iv had the opp.... I'll just have to grit my teath and say if I don't feel up to it after the first day of havin him, she will have to see if some one eles can look after him, but she don't have any one that's the problem, and she don't have many holls as only just gone bk to work for the two days ..

hate being put in this situation of what I should do or not

But thanks for reading and replying to me 😀 X

• Posted

I also raised my grandchildren due to my daughter's failed relationships.  It is a hard job (which I don't regret) but I learned that if you injure yourself who will take care of you. DO NOT DO IT.  i am sure that there must be someone else who can help.

Keep looking.  Good luck!!

• Posted

Hello, we are in same situation. My husband has just had his op date for 26th May, I have called my daughter straight away and told her to put some holidays in. You have to take care of yourself in this situation,the one thing you don't want is all that lovely work undone and being in very very bad pain. It's only a few weeks , I am sure she will understand.

• Posted

Thanks for getting bk to me... it's hard as I live on my own, so no one to help me out, my daughter is married but husband works full time, and she as just gone bk to work, which she really did not want to, she would prefer to be with her son, but needs must be, so they got to rely on me to look after him, as no one close by to help her out, and I feel guilty if I don't help out best I can, it's only two days a week, so hoping I'll get through it, or if after the first day I'm in pain, I could ask her to take Day of on Tuesday see if she can..

Take care and hope your husband is ok after the opp, must say it's very painful and u don't realise how much you use your stomac, I picked a letter up off the floor and oh my god how painful that was, so hope your husband takes it easy on himself

Thanks 😀X

• Posted

Hi I had my surgery yesterday my god today I feel like I've been hit by a bus my grandson gone home in tears today because he wanted to stay he doesn't understand he's only 6 but I bribed him with some money for sweeties haha listen to your body I'm taking no risks for no one my daughter's on her own as well it will be fine everyone files and gets past these obstacles you will feel bad if you took I'll 😁

• Posted

Bless u, i feel for you, it's alful isn't it, the pain on your stomach is unbelievable, every time you try to do some thing it hurts to remind you what uv had done, even just turning over in bed lol... mines over a week now, and still get twitches, in my stomach, as to say iv not gone away yet, I tuk my dog awalk today, he's a big dog, just for a short walk, and I felt every step, as he's a pain for pulling on a long lead, so still got a while to go, my grandson only 10 mth and at that age wants picking up all the time, so told my daughter I have to see how the day goes and if no good then she have to come home from work as she's there all day till 5, some times u just think u can't just sit back all the time as nice as it is, life still goes on, I do hope your feeling better soon, and recover quick..

Take care x

• Posted

Hi feel crap today but managed some toast I'll tell you something no one warns you about the sick you get was up all night throwing up yellow stuff I presume it's the badness coming out I feel like I've been run over by a bus but have to laugh it's funny trying to get up and down haha take cards😂

• Posted

Sorry to here uv been sick after your opp, must say I never had any sickness, I did have the sickness drug while at hospital, for about 5 days I had bad heart burn, but was given tablets for that, just the uncomfortable pain in the stomach did me, and yeah they don't really worn you, other then saying u would feel uncomfortable for a few days, a week on I'm still havin sum pain... at least we know things can only get better as each day passes bye lol... u take it easy if u are feeling sick as this will pull on your stomach, they told me if needed to cough or any thing like that then hold a pillow in your stomach so not to strain to much, hope u feel better soon

X😁

• Posted

It was funny really cos as I was been sick I did it stood up so it went everywhere haha got to laugh or I'll cry I did pull stomach but I'm ok it's mainly my left side that hurts but my pain med makes it bit easier just don't realise how much independence you have till you can't do anything arghhhh take carexx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.