gallbladder stone

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi i had a ultrascan done today and they told me i had a stone in the gallbladder please can someone tell me if they have had gallbladder stones if they had pain ... Thanks

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jayne I had 1 large stone and had terrible burning pain from it under my right rib cage and in my back. My stone was too big to get out and caused pain from bouncing around. I would recommend trying apple cider vinegar 1 tablespoon in a cup of hot water 3 times a day. Also milk thistle to detox your liver and gallbladder. If your on any ppi medication for acid or reflux stop it as it actually aggravates and can cause stones. I had mine removed in December after only having the pain for 6 weeks. I regret the operation as had bad side effects diarrhoea, vomiting and nausea. The operation is 75-80% of those that have the operation feel better afterwards with the other 20-25% still suffering after the operation. One of the long term side effects can be diarrhea which affects 5-10% of people. Unfortunately you won't know until after the operation how your body will adapt. The main cause of gallstones is high estrogen levels due to steroids, birth control pill and hrt and other hormone drugs. A lot of people find success with the milk thistle and apple cider vinegar. Try everything before you have the operation. Is it just 1 large stone you have ? X
    • Posted

Tom they removed the whole gallbladder Unfortunately. Wish it was just the stone. Sorry if I wasn't clear. I believe there has been some revolutionary surgery in China were they can just remove the stones and leave the gallbladder. Interestingly Nelson Mandela had stones and they opened his gallbladder and removed them and he kept his gallbladder. I believe many years ago they just took the stones too. It's far easier for the surgeons to remove the organ than to take out the stones. Hopefully they will find a way to do this soon. X
  • Posted

They recently found i have one large stone. I never got the severe  pain that a lot of people do because the stone  is unlikely to come out as its 1.8cm. I have had more nagging pain around my back and  some sharp stabbings between my shoulder blades. The first  thing that lead to them finding this was  a major acid reflux type problem and it was my own dr who was convinced it was a gallstone. She was right. I must say my consultant made me feel rather uneasy as he has told me that they may take ut the GB and find I still have the problem. But I am convinced it is gallbladder and cant wait to get it out on the 25th August. I cant live like I am hardly eating a thing so its gonna come out smile  I hope you can get some help to do whats right for you smile
  • Posted

I had 10 stones in my gallbladder. They never showed up on the ultrasound. When they did my HIDA scan and they made my gallbladder contract, I cried because it hurt so bad.

But during the time before they took it out, I was in pain any time I ate.

• Posted

I have a gallbladder with six small stones but they will not remove gallbladder until the gallbladder becomes inflamed or infected. Don't be too quick to have it removed as patients can still get sympathy pain.
  • Posted

Hello Jayne, I've had trouble with my stomach for many years. Doctor said I had childhood ulcers, then as an adult doctor's treated me for Ulcers. Nothing was helping. Finally one doctor said he thought I had IBS and when I started treating like that I got control over it for the most part. Fast forward years later I thought what is wrong with my IBS just getting worse and worse. Had tests done and found out my entire gallbladder was packed with gallstones. I had to wait 3 months to have my surgery to remove my gallbladder. Gallstones can be extrememly painful. The best thing you can do is just watch what you eat. Certain foods will trigger a gallbladder attack. I'm a tough person with pain, but gallstones are no joke. Research online and find the foods that are bad for you and keep a food diary, see what triggers your pain. You can go years and years with no pain, or just the oppisite. One thing I've learned since having my gallbladder removed last year is we do have different symptons and stories. But we will all say it's very painful. I'm so thankful I got mine removed, but being I do have IBS it has made that worse, with more frequent flare ups and when it does flare up it now takes days before I can get it under control. My pain from gallbladder was right in the middle of the top of my stomach right under my breasts. The surgery itself was GREAT and as long as you don't have any problems or complications they just do a Laparoscopic surgery. Was walking the next day, sore from surgery. But within 2 weeks back to my normal self. I wish you good luck. All the things people told me to do naturally didn't work. My best advice watch what you eat. https://patient.info/health/gallstones-diet-sheet

Emis Moderator comment: I have replaced the given link with a link to the equivalent article on our site.

• Posted

I didn't get the very bad typical gallbladder pain just a constant nagging and burning feeling on my right side and back ,  then I had shoulder pain, later.  I had my gallbladder out last week and that nagging pain has gone. It took a while to get them to do the operation as like Graham said they don't like taking it out if your gallbladder isn't  inflammed, but my gallstone liked to sit in the top of my bile duct, and that's why is caused me so much discomfort.   
  • Posted

Yes I had gallstones recently. Very painful.

I had my gallbladder out at end of April.

Did they offer to take your gallbladder out or ask you what you wanted to do about the stone?

If they offer to take your gallbladder out, I would let them do that.

In the meantime try to keep to a low fat diet, this will help.

I had to wait 4 months to have my gallbladder out, but finally got in on a cancellation.

If you are willing and able to take a cancellation that is certainly worth mentioning to them and they may be able to do you quicker.

Hope this helps.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah xxx

• Posted

Hi Sarah thanks for your comment I only went yesterday for my ultrasound scan so I have now got to wait for appointment at docs so will let you know the outcome xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.