Gallbladder surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I finally got my date for my op, august 2nd. What can I expect after the operation? And the recovery? I have 3 young ones at home who have broken up from school from the summer so just curious to know how people felt after the op and how long it takes to be able to drive again, and be up for doing anything etc

Many thanks

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi good luck in went to theatre at 11 and was back on ward at 12.oo I was uncomfortable and aching and had wind I was up and home at 6 unfortunately I was ill with infection but after 9 days in hospital stI'll achy windy sore you will need help for at least a couple of weeks but you may be lucky and recover well don't lift carry or hoover I'm 9 weeks in and just feeling steady and able to go out now you will still feel tired and off it.if you recover at your body's say so you should be good x

• Posted

Good news you have your op date soon. I had my gallbladder removed laparoscopically on 14 July, so nearly a week and a half ago. I am doing fine. I had been feeling so ill and in so much pain for so long, that I felt better straight afterwards! You will have some pain, and it will be difficult to sit up, get up and down, but make sure you take your painkillers round the clock. Be careful and get as much rest as you can. Listen to your body and lie down and rest when you need to. Definitely no lifting. I have had no trouble with eating, or going to the loo! As far as driving, they say at least a couple of weeks, when you are confident you could make an emergency stop without feeling the strain. I haven't driven yet. Let me know if you have any more questions. Good luck! I am so happy to have had mine removed!

• Posted

Ah yeh I've been feeling horrendous for months now constant back ache and all sorts! How long do they tell you to stay off work for? Is the pain really uncomfortable when you come round?

• Posted

I was given morphine whist under but yes it is painful but is cope able with pain releif it's the wind and aching that's the worst but after a few days you will cope better if you take medication on the dot every 4 hours !I tried not to big mistake

• Posted

I don't work, but they have another lady a sick note for two weeks. And I guess if you were still not well you would go back to GP and he would issue another one.

• Posted

It is painful when you come round in recovery, but they will have you given you morphine in theatre, and I felt in quite a bit of pain so they gave me more morphine. After that I had paracetamol and ibuprofen.
  • Posted

Fiona, I have a few health problems going in, and I'm surprised at how well I felt immediately after the op. I didn't feel particularly sick, I had a bit of wind but nothing too bad. Unfortunately my back went into spasm and that caused a few problems. 

i was overnight in hospital as my surgery was late afternoon. 

I haven't felt like eating an awful lot, I'm finding little and often is best for me just now. 

Listen to your body, I'm sure you'll do well. 

• Posted

For laparoscopic surgery, they reckon recovery takes 2-3 weeks and you should be up to driving after three weeks, but some take longer. My concern for you would be that lifting is completely out and you have small children. You will feel tender in the days post op and moving hurts so take it easy and don't do any sudden movements. It's important to rest but also to try and move about as this helps you get rid of the CO2 that they pump into you, gets rid of the anaesthetic and helps prevent DVT. You will probably not feel like eating much at first either, so stick to several small plain meals a day: jacket potatoes, soups, rice and toast etc. Drink plenty of water to keep hydrated.

I think you may need help with the children and general housework for a week or two. I couldn't even lift my iron or fill a kettle from the tap. Couldn't lift a pan of water to cook potatoes either. They even warn you about pushing shopping trolleys!

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up