Gallbladder surgery next week... TERRIFIED!!!

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi, I'm new to this forum and this is my first post.... 

I'm from Canada and 2 weeks ago I was having evere pain in my side that after an ultrasound was diagnosed as gallstones... I was then referred to a general surgeon who said the best thing is to have it taken out so they scheduled me for surgery this coming Wednesday the 4th. I'm absolutely terrifed... I've never had surgery in my life, never been put under for anything  and as crazy as it sounds , it's not the surgery itself that scares me so much as the being put to sleep. I'm afraid of not waking up. Can I have some insight into other experiences and what will happen? I'm 28 years old and otherwise healthy as a horse (Doctors words) but I still can't shake this fear I have about it . I had my PATT the other day and the nurse tried to ease my mind as did some others but.... she's a nurse.... it's kinda her job... 

2 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi abby if you read through the posts on here you will find so many of us (and some a lot older than you myself included) were exactly the same worrying about the what ifs. I think its ok to be frightened accept it and tell every nurse and doctor that has to deal with you. I cried all night the night before and to be honest that and the getting into hospital was worse than the op! Good luck you will feel better when its all done and when you're worrying just remember we were all the same , you're normal ! :-)
  • Posted

I understand completely Abby and WELCOME! After 7 surgeries, in my experience, technology has advanced so much that I hardly ever hear of something going wrong. Now, if you have certain allergies you need to tell the anethesiologist. There are different types of anethesia and some will cause you nausea and vomiting. Communicate with him and tell him you do not want to be sick from being put to sleep and he will add a medication that will prevent that. Try to be calm. Everything will be fine and the surgery is over in 45 minutes with laser. I would not be worried at all if your are healthy as you say you are and you have  you have to trust your doctor. Let us know how it goes and good luck!! Will say a little prayer for you...  lol
  • Posted

Hi Abby. Having my GB out was my very first surgery too. I was petrified. I sobbed the whole way to the hospital, checked in sobbing too lol. It's very scary. I have horrible anxiety anyways, so that didn't help. They gave me several sedative injections in my IV line before I was taken back, they are prepared. I finally had to have a super powerful sedative that was wonderful, was wheeled into OR then passed out, woke up in recovery. It's a fairly quick surgery (assuming yours is laproscopic) it's the recovery that takes awhile. Talk to your surgeon about your fear of not waking up and the nurse assigned to you as well. This is one of the most common surgeries in the world, so try not to panic (as said the Panic Queen LOL). I was in and out same day, was in a bit of pain next day or so but they give you pain meds to take. My worst pain was the leftover C02 gas they use to blow up your stomach to find the GB, that has to release over time and that was super painful for me. Most people find the surgery & recovery a breeze. Truthfully, I took 2 weeks off from work, could have gone back within one week. Everyone responds differently to sugery so just be prepared as far as recovery/time off. I was single when I had mine out so went grocery shopping ahead of time for "approved foods" etc. so I didn't have to leave the house for awhile after surgery. I was told just the other day that the super sedative they gave me is why I took so long to wake up in recovery, never knew that, but makes sense. It was called delotted (sp?). Would love a daily supply of it lol. Wishing you the best. I know that terror all too well. Make sure to talk to your surgeon about your diet after surgery too. Avoid high fat foods for weeks if you can, trust me here. Keep us posted! 
  • Posted

Had my gallbladder removed yesterday by keyhole surgery.Back home this afternoon. Had some sickness last night but have had lunch and tea today. Am on quite strong painkillers but moving about without much trouble between sleeps. Don't be afraid. I am 74 only my second operation.Hysterectomy out 17 years ago. This was much less of an op. Just take it easy afterwards. You won't feel anything after the anaesthetist put you out liken it just to a deep sleep which you come out of naturally. Go for it. Maggie
  • Posted

I just had my gallbladder out (laproscopic) on the 15th. (I'm in the US). I wasn't particularly concerned about the anesthesia issue, but can understand being worried about it.  As others have said, keep your doctor and anesthesiologist about any allergies or medical conditions.   Also, while they were prepping me, the nurses kept checking to see if i was OK anxiety wise.  Even though I wasn't particularly, I think they gave me a seditive immediately when they hooked up my IV, and they gave me one last song sedative just as they wheeled me out of the prep area. 

I vaguely remember being pushed into the OR and getting on the table... my next memory is waking up.  I was in and out of it for a while, then they moved me to a more private area (private "room" with a curtian).  They helped me to a lounge chair, brought my family in, made sure I was OK, and let me go home.  Surgery was around 9:30 AM and I was home by 4 PM.  Nursing staff could not have been nicer.

I took a little less than 2 weeks off- wen back to work this past Wed. (office job).  As others have said, the pain from the CO2 was a pain the first few days.  The worst for me was throat pain from the tube they use to help you breath during surgery (If they do it like they did for me, it was put in after i was knocked out and removed before I woke up- I think thats standard).   I was able to eat soup and toast the first night.  I was able to get some sleep, though it was a bit fitful.  I needed to use a headrest because lying down flat was painful. 

While I was a bit sore  for a little over a week, it was definitely tolerable.  I'm single and live alone so I had to stay at my parents the first 2 nights- was fine on my own.  Consider getting paper plates/pasticware/disposible cups to make things easier.  I also stocked up on applesauce and jello.  Finally, if its permitted up there, see if you can get the pain pill prescription filled at the hospital pharmacy- avoids a stop on the way home. 

I feel 97% fine now- only issue is a little soreness and some minor pain at one of the incisions- it was the largest one.  Its only a bother later in the day- probably because walking around during the day irritates it. 

My appetite is already better than it was before the surgery.   Everyone has their own experience, but you'll most likely feel much better once its out. 

Hang in there and let us know how it goes. 

• Posted

Hope everything goes ok. For years I thought I had a food intolerance to tomatoe based products and kidded myself this was the root cause of the pain.... Until I was rushed to hospital with acute pancreatitis!!....don't be a victim have the GB out! smile

You know it makes sense

• Posted

Hi abby had my gallbladder removed a couple of years ago for same reason, just want to re-asure you it will be ok, they told me it is one of the most common operations performed daily. I kid you not when I say I would sooner have this done than a filling at the dentist......ok it will be a bit sore for a week if your female or two weeks for us men but that is just cos were wimps compared to women when it comes to all things surgical.......alright I'm having a joke here but honestly don.t worry you'll be ok..........regards robin
  • Posted

Hi,

mine was removed too! U will be just fine. Follow u doc instructions u will be back in the swing of thing sooner than u think. I have been without a gallbladder for 38 years.

i know u will be done with the pain and the danger the conditions with gallstones can cause. 

Any surgery is scary , have UR family with you for support and help when u go home for the first few days. 

• Posted

I had my gallbladder removed about a year and a half ago. It was also my first surgery. The actual operation is a breeze. I was having high anxiety while being checked in, but as soon as they gave me Versed I was good to go. Roughly remember being rolled into the O.R.. When I woke up, my back HURT. Similar to how you would feel if you slept flat on concrete for several hours. The pain only lasted 5 minutes tops. After that I had to pee really bad, so I got up on my own, used the bathroom, and got dressed. I sat in recovery long enough to finish paperwork and I was on my way home. The first day was awesome, probably because I was so doped up. Sleeping that night was a challenge, though. I'm not lying when I say the worst part of the entire thing was the leftover gas from surgery. Very similar to having crazy charlie horses in your neck. The next day I was heavily depressed, side effect from the norcos. I didn't take any pain pills after the second morning. It took about 2 weeks until I was able to go back to work, but total recovery time was about 8 months. Be prepared for a durastic diet change. I ate dry toast with a slice of cheese for every meal for about 3 months. And also be prepared for very irregular bowel movements. The BMs are still an issue for me up to this day.
  • Posted

Well I did it! I pulled through! LOL .... My surgery was an hour late in starting and it took just under two hours to complete because from what my surgeon (Who was very yummy looking btw:D) said I had a very angry gall bladder... It didn't wanna be in there but didn't wanna leave either so they ended up making 5 incisions instead of the normal 4... And it's true... It's mainly the back pain and chest pain from the gas that's the main problem for me.... and a sore throat.... They had me on Dilaudid when I was in recovery so I was REALLY loopy..Then they prescribed me with percocets to go home....  I was in recovery for about 2 hrs and was finally able to go home at 8pm.... I was able to eat a lttle bit of soup last night but didn't have much of an appetite until today.... Right now I still have a little bit of the back pain but it's mainly a lot of discomfort
    • Posted

I am so happy it is all over for you!!! Hope your recovery is a good one!!

lol smilelol

• Posted

I'm the same as you literally terrified of not waking up. I have my first app at the hospital on Wednesday and even the thought of that terrifies me. I just don't no how I'm going to go through with it.
    • Posted

Hi sarah I can see a few posts from you on other threads that pop up on my email. I do feel for you (and abby74 and everyone else who feels like this). I don't know the statistics but its almost unheard of people not waking up. I did say it in jest to my surgeon (but really I was serious and I think he knew it) . He said that's why we do pre op checks , it's selected surgery so you are going in well other than needing rid of your gb, and the anethstist never leaves your side , they are checking you all the time. I think accept your fear, know that its unfounded but that you can't help it. You asked on another thread if someone could come with you til you are asleep. I think the answer will be no and understandably really. Just think that you are with people who can help you. All the staff that I came into contact with were very kind. A nurse or care worker comes with you to the pre op room than hands you over to a nurse there. Although they've heard it a thousand times before they understand are fear. Why don't you ask your surgeon if you could be booked first on the list that way you are not waiting alone on the ward listening to everone else's stories . remember yours is routine to the staff. You could ask gp for something to relax you a couple of days before op so you go in a bit calmer. :-)
    • Posted

With all my surgeries (6) they have always fiven me a "don't care" shot and I didn't care at all! I understand this fear but, gb surgery is not too invasive if done by laser. It only takes about 45 minutes with 2 hrs. recovery time for you to wake up and go home .It is over with quickly. Just try to be calm and trust the anetheisologists. He/she will take good care of you Everything will be okay...I will keep you in my prayers.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.