Gallbladder surgery next week... TERRIFIED!!!

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi, I'm new to this forum and this is my first post.... 

I'm from Canada and 2 weeks ago I was having evere pain in my side that after an ultrasound was diagnosed as gallstones... I was then referred to a general surgeon who said the best thing is to have it taken out so they scheduled me for surgery this coming Wednesday the 4th. I'm absolutely terrifed... I've never had surgery in my life, never been put under for anything  and as crazy as it sounds , it's not the surgery itself that scares me so much as the being put to sleep. I'm afraid of not waking up. Can I have some insight into other experiences and what will happen? I'm 28 years old and otherwise healthy as a horse (Doctors words) but I still can't shake this fear I have about it . I had my PATT the other day and the nurse tried to ease my mind as did some others but.... she's a nurse.... it's kinda her job... 

2 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I've been looking for help and really am hoping for a reply. I had my gallbladder out 3 days ago and pain wise everything seems as normal as pain can be but what's awful is the nausea and now I've vomited twice. Is this normal? These were my main issues prior to surgery and I thought they'd improve after removal. I've been eating boiled rice and toast and had some jello. Any help would be appreciated!!
  • Posted

I know this is an old post but I go tomorrow and am petrified. Are you glad you had the surgery?
  • Posted

you'll be fine I'm recovering from laparoscopic surgery 3 weeks ago I was diagnosed with acute gall bladder stones, I didn't even know I had a gallbladder, I thought they had removed it during another procedure, I've been suffering with symptoms for years and finally feel normal after surgery, a small amount of pain in my ribs but I'm feeling great... . the Dr found a few stones in the bile duct but was able to maneuver them back into my gallbladder, don't wait the pain will increase and you'll end up with sever back and sholder pain, 4 tiny insecions and 1 night in the hospital.. prayers for you...

• Posted

a little late but glad your doing well..... sorry new to forum

• Posted

Had the surgery today. I was so afraid but it went well. I am glad that it has made a difference for you. That's exactly what I needed to hear. Thank you for sharing your experience.

• Posted

I am sooo nerveous and scared! I have my surgery to go through on may 9th.. my anxiety is high up there right now I'm so scared of dying! I'm 23 .. how are your feeling now?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.