Gallbladder surgery tomorrow. Really scared!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello. I'm 19 and since I have given birth to my daughter 6 months ago I've developed gallstones. I went to the emergency room in October and that was when I was diagnosed. Every since I've been petrified.

I'm really scared of general anesthesia. I'm scared of not waking up and seeing my beautiful daughter again. I'm really scared of complications and me becoming extremely sick. I can't stop panicking. My surgery is tomorrow morning. I really can't stop crying.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dominique,

You should be fine. I have had many surgerys over the years. I am 61 and still here. Congratulations on youf new baby girl. You will have to make some changes in your diet and things but as you are making changes for your daughter as she gets bigger make your changes with her. Please let us know how you made out when you feel up to it. and talk to the doctor or even nurses and the PA are great. Best of luck with your surgery. Take care. You are so young. Terry

• Posted

Hi Doninique,

I'm sorry you're so upset, I understand because I was exactly the same before my surgery! But guess what? For me it went great with absolutely no problems, and 2 weeks later I am completely healed (I did yoga and lifted weights this week!) You do NOT need to be afraid of not waking up from anesthesia - this just doesn't happen for healthy people with a minor surgery like this one. As for feeling sick, this was my main concern and I told the anesthesiologist. He used a few different anti-emetics and no narcotic pain relievers (I didn't need them, the pain was not that bad) and I actually was hungry when I woke up! So just tell the anesthesiologist your concerns and s/he will take care of you. 

Even people who have problems after the surgery, it's mostly things like having to use the bathroom a lot in the days after. Many people, like myself, don't even have that problem. I think at worst you will feel uncomfortable and not have much of an appetite for a week or 2. But you will be fine otherwise!

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

• Posted

I aAs terrified! I had my operation a year ago my baby was almost 1. It was absolutely fine anaesthesia is very safe these days. Honestly you won't even realise what's happened. One second I was chatting away to the anaesthetist the next I was waking up in recovery. It's usually a quick operation too. I hope you have people around to help with your daughter you should not lift her for a few weeks at all! My husband could only take 5 days off so I had no choice but to lift my baby and take my other kids to school. But if you can avoid this you should. Best of luck you will be fine x

• Posted

I understand your fear. I had mine a few weeks ago and I was afraid of the same thing but here I am responding to you. You will be just fine. Have you spoke to your doctor about your concerns? I know that mine went step by step with me how the procedure will go and that did ease my mind that I was in good hands. I'll say a prayer for you. Let's me know how it goes.

• Posted

My surgery went well. Currently a bit sore but doing great. Feeling better everyday. No need for the pain killers I've been taking just extra strength Tylenol. Thanks for the replies everyone! smile

• Posted

Hi Dominique,

That is great news. Iam happy to hear you are doing good. 

just remember to take it easy for a couple of weeks without lifting

more than 10 pounds. thanks for letting us know. take care.

terry 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.