Gallbladder surgery yesterday so much pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

i had my gallbladder removed on Wednesday morning and I am in so much pain in the middle of my stomach where the surgeon went into my belly button. The pain meds don't seem to be helping me now. I have so much pain in my stomach area. I have been moving around regularly. I don't know if this is normal. Help anyone. The pressure is horrible.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Because there is always a risk of infection after surgery it is very important you seek medical help.  You own GP or better still phone the hospital and get through to the sugeon or their team.  You need to do this before the weekend in case you need antibiotics.
  • Posted

I concur with Tom. Plus they might be able to give you better pain relief. You can get pains in that area from your intestines reacting to getting moved in the op. Please get it checked out. Let us know how you get on.
  • Posted

See your GP if it's not improving. I'm 10 days post op and by day 3 they only pain I had which they pain killers didn't help was my shoulder and my throat! I took painkiller paracetamol and coding every 4hrs on the dot. I don't wait to see if I had pain. I also took ibruprofen 3 times a day. After about 5 days I dropped the codeine and now I'm only on paracetamol if I need it.

However I put up with my gallbladder pain for a very long time so I think I may have built up a stronger pain threshold. So please see your GP if things aren't improving

• Posted

Oooh renee, that shoulder pain is bad isn't it.  It's from the gas they use in the op to stretch things out escaping through your shoulder.  The throat will be from the tube down it in the op to keep your airways open.  You are spot on about taking the pain relief regularly.  And you are right you do build up a stronger pain threshold.  Good luck to you for the future
    • Posted

The pain in the shoulder was the worst for me. It felt like I pulled every muscle in the rift side of my body from my hip to my neck. It hurt to breathe and move. It took almost 2 full weeks to get rid of that pain.
    • Posted

Ah no Tommyboy.........that's harsh.  I really feel for you - 2 weeks! I thought mine was bad with 48 hours.  Mind you the nurses were injecting me with morphine in the hospital and that was making no difference.  At the same time shoving me out of the door as they needed the bed.  Memories!!  LOL!
    • Posted

I was on dilatdid in the recovery room and 2 doses took the pain from a 9 to a 6. Then I had oxycodone in my room that night (had excessive bleeding during the liver biopsy they did after taking gallbladder out). It didn't make a dent in the pain. They gave me Tums and it barely helped. Walking around helped a bit, but as soon as I sat down, the pain came back. Hurt to lay on my sides, hurt to breath. But thankfully, that was the worst part about the whole surgical experience.
  • Posted

Hi Julie, I too had mine removed on wed.. Up and down but had a bad reaction to the codeine, was fine with it before but not now (was aware because a friend had the same) I had the same pain as before the op,,,!  Doc has prescribed different pain killers so fingers crossed.. I too am sore by my belly button and has bled a bit, going to get dressing changed to see if it helps... 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.