Gallbladder symptoms but all normal testing??

Posted , 4 users are following.

For the past 6 months, I have had progressive RUQ pain and nausea. I have had ct, ultrasound, endoscopy,labs, ,hida and all are normal. I'm miserable. has anyone been in this situation and had their gallbladder out and you got better??

thanks!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Yes. I had my gallbladder out in 2014 and still get the same pains I had before I had it taken out. The good news is that you can prevent the pain from happening. I have found my triggers and will share them with you:

Drinking coffee. Coffee gives me that pain. I drink mine always with powdered or liquid creamer. Sometimes with sugar. Sometime I can get awaky with having one cup and it doesn't bother me, but I have learned that it's not worth the risk.

The fats which are used in store-bought cookies like sugar cookies or scottish shortbread. I can't remember the name of the fat right now, but it's hydrogenated...maybe...?

Drinking a lot of alcohol the night before, and then drinking coffee is a SURE way to the RUQ pain fired up.

Other things that affect it for me are fatty meats like pork and beef.

Also the tiniest piece of dark chocolate will trigger it as well. Luckily I'm not a big fan of chocolate. Whatever the fat is that's in dark chocolate is terrible and I think chocolate is also very acidic (like coffee),

As you probably know Ibuprophen won't get rid of the pain. The only thing that helps the pain go away are - this is going to sound strange - taking a tennis ball and placing it where the pain is under my right ribs and lying on the floor on my stomach so that a lot of my weight is on the tennis ball. Then I kind of roll around on it so it hits the main area of pain. I also flip over on my back and place the tennis ball under my shoulder blade and roll around. This seems to ease the pain. ALSO a cold icepack on the RUQ seems to help. Also...again, I put that on my back shoulder blade too. ALSO. It seems that drinking a plain cup of hot water helps. Kind of like you would make a cup of tea, but plain hot water.

If you try this and it helps, please let me know. Also, if it works please feel free to copy and paste this to others in the future. It's such a horrible pain to live with and I'd like as many people as possible not to have to live with it. I will say the coffee, alcohol (beer and wine), and dark chocolate are the worst culprits,.

Good luck!

BeBe

• Posted

Similar to you I've been experiencing issues for the past four months. I have had a colonoscopy, endoscopy, CT scan, liver/gallbladder ultrasound, blood tests - all normal. I'm scheduled for a follow up visit with a new gastroenterologist early in the new year. I have been told it's possible the issue is gallbladder sludge which mimics the symptoms of stones. I'll also have a stool test done to make sure it's not a bacterial infection. Following that would be a HIDA scan and tests for SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth). All the doctor's visits and tests are exhausting not to mention the toll it takes on your emotional health because you're in discomfort all the time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.