Gallstone and weight loss

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was diagnosed with a gallstone with the size around 3cm in early this year. I sometimes have dull pain around my right upper rib if I eat too fast. Also, I notice that my weight drops around 15 pounds in the past several months. I have a lot of gas and stomach discomfort every time I eat food, even for a small amount of food. I am going to have a surgery to remove the gallbladder soon. I would like to know will I still have those gas and stomach discomfort after surgery?

Am I going to lose additional weight after surgery?

Thanks.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Reese, I am three no post op and no pains or discomfort. I have found it to be a positive experience so far in that respect.

With regard to weight, I know people who have gained, lost and maintained after surgery. Àll depends on diet afterwards I guess and what you are able to eat. Good luck with your surgery and feel better soon.

Report Reply
  • Posted

I am 9 weeks post op and I am still having a very difficult time with food.   Actually more difficult than before the op.   I seem to have alot of pain and gas after eating.  Lost 12 lbs and eating a very very limited diet.  Some people report that they do fine afterward except for high fat foods.  Bottom line..everyone seems to be different.  You won’t really know until after the surgery.   Just make sure you absolutely need the surgery.   It has been a rough go for me.  Best wishes!
    Report Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up