Gallstone experience

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone - I've been diagnosed with multiple gallstones and seem to be having attacks 1 - 2 times a week. I've been to see the surgeon who said it's around a 20 week wait for surgery - I could have cried. The pain I get can usually last anything from half an hour to 8 hours and it feels like having one long contraction and a heart attack at the same time. I take Buscapan and the Doctor perscribed me Co-Codamol - which is fine but I find it doesn't kick in for around 4 hours!!!! I always call an ambulance now as I need gas and air to help ease the pain and they usuallly take me to hospital. The problem I have is the Co-codamol. Because it doesn't take effect for hours I seem to drift in and out of a dream like sleep and then it knocks me out for hours. I can't drive so I can't go to work and I feel so unwell after and attack. It leaves me feeling drained and feeling so sick. Can anyone recommend tablets that work straight away?? I am on a very low fat diet but I still get the attacks even if I eat toast with no butter!!! PLEASE CAN SOMEONE GIVE ADVICE

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I used a combination of soluable paracetamol and tramadol, the pain was gone in minutes smile
  • Posted

tramadol works quickly for the pain - i took it post op after discharge, and it is quick - maybe you can explain to your dr the problems with the co-codomal being to slow and see if he/she can try different pain relief.

i found i couldn't take pain relief in an attack personally as i was vomiting so frequently that any meds would come strait back up.

hope you get things sorted sooner rather than later.

• Posted

Hi - many thanks for your advise on Tramadol. In fact I has such bad attack on Wednesday that i called for an ambulance and was given Morphene. The surgical team at the hospital said that was going to take the gall bladder out the same day - so hey presto gall bladder has been removed along with the stones which looked like what I can only describe as gravel and lots of it too!! I'm in pain and rather swollen but the Tramadol really works and with plenty of rest I should be ok within a week or so.

If anyone out there is having doubts about surgery - DON'T. It's quick and I understand that recovery should be around 2 weeks. I hope my experience may have helped one of you reading this. Please feel free to ask any questions if you need to - I will reply to them....... :roll:

• Posted

Hey thats good, good riddance eh smile
  • Posted

Hi Me again - can anyone help?? I have terrible constipation and I don't know what to do as I can't strain coz of the pain in my belly..... I have taken some Dulcolax so hopefully things may improve but if anyone could advise me on their experience I would be so bloody grateful.... :cry:
  • Posted

Yeah its classic to be constipated after a general anesthetic (and taking Tramadol), it should wear off in a day or two, try and eat a balanced diet with plenty of fruit smile
  • Posted

Hello again - I can't thank you enough for all your advice but I need some more!!!! My belly is so swollen still and I asked the nurse lots of questions when she came to change my dressings but she said I had to ask my consultant - the problem with that is that it's in 6 weeks time!!!! Does anyone know how long it takes for the swelling to go down as I look 18 months pregnant!!! :roll:
  • Posted

I had mine out a couple of months ago and I still look pregnant :?
  • Posted

it take time. everyone is different, you have just got to give yourself time to heal. they will have blown you up poked and prodded about quite a bit - so swelling is to be expected - it has not been very long since your op. the best thing you can do is take it easy and let your body get back to normal in its own time.

hope your feeling better soon

• Posted

Thank you for your wisdom - I really appreciate it as I don't seem to be getting any answers from Doctors or Nurses!!

Dr Spock - can i ask a question??? ~It's not about Gallstones it's about Bunions...... My mum is having both removed and the bones fused together but she is worried about walking afterwards - you seem to be so helpful on all kinds of troubles and very knowledgable.......

Just an update on me - I'm feeling tons better still sore and swollen and thanks Dr Spock - you mean to tell me that I'm gonna look like this for months!!!!!!!!!! lol:lol:

• Posted

Youll be alright, it shouldnt last months, I looked pregnant long before the operation, I was just hoping for a improvement after the op but theres been none :D

Yes Ive seen the thread you posted about the bunions, Ill pop in over there smile

• Posted

hi angela - i found the swelling in my case (open op) went down in about 3 weeks - but please take it easy - no lifting or bending untill it is comfortable to do so - when you start to resume these sort of activities if at any stage it becomes uncomfortable stop and get someone to do it for you. trust me this is advice i did not take and am paying for it now ... 2 months after surgery i moved house twice in two weeks.. and this has contributed to further problems.. please look after yourself and take care - the laproscopic route is still the same surgery through smaller holes.

all the best i hope your recovery is quick and uneventful!

• Posted

Vixen - thanks so much for your advice. I've read what you have been through and you've been through it!!!!! I am sort of treating it like a c-section - not that I've had one both mine were natural but my niece has just had a section.

The Doctors and Nurses don't seem to be much help - this site, you and Dr Spock have been a lifesaver!!! My Doctor only wanted to give me paracetamol in the beginning, said that it's not that painfull......... red rag to a bull springs to mind - so thank you Vixen and Thank you Dr Spock. :lol:

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.