Gallstone pain

Posted , 7 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hey all, I have recently been diagnosed with gallstones after 2 years of Misdiagnoses of acid reflux. I was in hospital for 4days with an inflamed gallbladder and was antibiotic. It has since flared up and only this week I was vomiting and back in hospital only this time they sent me home with antibiotics. I work as a teacher and am really struggling with the pain. Woke up today and have pain but I have even eaten anything. What can I take?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi JOjo

Not much you can take over the counter that will work effectively enough, best to talk to your GP & get a right combination for you .

Hope you get better soon

• Posted

JoJo,

​Have you considered getting a second opinion?  If your gallbladder is inflamed, there is something wrong.  Did you doctor recommend surgery?  Acid reflux is caused by inbalance of acid in the stomach.  Do not lay down right after eating, as the stomach acid can come up the esophagus​ and burn.  You can try a tsp of baking soda in a glass of water to relieve the acid reflux. 

• Posted

It is not acid reflux but thank you. It's agonising gallstones. My gp just gave me codine and paracetamol. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't even touch the sides. How long is the surgery wait for gallstones? I've been waiting 2months already?

• Posted

Hi Jojo

We went privately in the end, but they did prescribe Oramorph or Tramadol as nothing else worked but it's one or other of the above not both & only for the most severe pain to stop you ending up in A&E

Hope you do not have to wait too long.

• Posted

Jojo,

?My surgeon was going to wait five weeks until everything  calmed down, but since I had sepsis, and my gallbladder was gangrenous and neucrotic, he couldn't wait. It was a matter of life or death.  Of course, my situation was different from yours.  

?You said you were on antibiotics, so they may be waiting until the infection goes away.  If you continue to have severe pain, then call your doctor.  I wish you well.

• Posted

Hi Jojo,

Sorry you're suffering like this!  I suggest you get a referral to a GI doc.  It seems to me that your gallbladder might need to come out, sooner rather than later!  Has any doctor said anything about removing it?  

Please let me know how you get on!

• Posted

Hi, Usually it takes 18 wks from your first referral date but that'll depend if your surgoen believes you can wait or if you need it urgently. Codeine and paracetamol are the usual medications but they will give you tramadol if you see your gp.

• Posted

Hi i feel very sorry for you i have been going through this for over 3 months and had been diagnosed with so many things before getting to the point that i had multiple gallstones and i also might have some stuck in a bile duct. Like yourself i have been in and out of hosptial twice A&e about 7 times and doctors every week. I am now waiting for gallbladder surgery and hopefully wont be waiting to much longer as the pain and all symptoms that come with this is the worst ever. Have you been back to your doctors to see if they can give you something for the sickness and the pain and let them know your symptoms so they can help you. what are they going to do with your gallstones? are they saying you will have to have surgery and what other symptoms do you get? from carmella x

• Posted

They have said gallbladder needs to come out but I just can't believe the wait is so long when the pain is so bad. It's strange as I can go weeks absolutely fine and then without warning I am doubled over in pain.

• Posted

Unfortunately with gallstones its generally painful when a gallstone moves into the opening of the cystic duct but then it will stop when it falls back into the gallbladder which is why you can have weeks when you're fine. They will operate earlier if a gallstone gets stuck in the duct and causes such severe pain that doesn't go away and it can cause jaundice which they will operate sooner. The waiting isn't easy I know you just need to find some way of managing the pain unless it gets too severe where I would suggest going to A&E.

• Posted

Just before Christmas I was in with an infection which led to jaundice but after 4 days they sent me home with antibiotics. Sounds like it needs to get really serious before they take it out any earlier. I feel for anyone who is in the same situation. It's just awful.

• Posted

I had acid daily for years and never associated it with anything other than diet. Then I had my gallbladder out 5 weeks ago and haven't had acid since, regardless of what I've eaten. No one connected these things,.. it was always overeating, or gluten intolerance, or lactose, or whatever. Now I know it was my gallbladder issues. I must have swallowed a ton of antacids over the years and all that sleep lost.. argh!

There's nothing you can do to stop the attacks. Save yourself more years of pain and do whatever you need to do get your gallbladder out as soon as you can... with support of a doctor of course.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up