Gallstones

Posted , 6 users are following.

ok so. I've recently been to the doctors and gallstones have been queried. The pain was so severe that 111 sent me an ambulance last Friday and it took 4 shots of morphine for it to go away. I was prescribed cocodamol and sent on my merry way. This pain is horrific. I am at a stage where I am taking 2 paracetamol and 2 tramadol (from my dad's stash) and they aren't working.... my symptoms are;

Pain kind of like trapped wind to start with in the centre top of abdomen. As the pain builds I am sore from this point all the way round to my back and shoulders.

it lasts between 2-5 hours.

slight nausea

loss of appetite.

pale coloured bowel movements

I have an ultrasound on Tuesday so I'll know for sure then but I'm more concerned that it's not gallstones and it'll be a fight to find out what it is....

I don't fit any of the usual categories like overweight, multiple pregnancies. I'm just a 31 year old female with a reasonably active job and child. I eat plenty of fruit and veg and do like the occasional take away.

I have removed all non essential high fat foots from my diet and it has helped a little.

do you guys think it is gallstones from your experience? I am exhausted

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like a typical gb attack to me. Do you also feel the urge to go the bathroom and feel pressure in your stomach? Not everyones symptoms are the same. Good luck!
  • Posted

Hi Krystle

It doesn't have to be stones it can be the GB not working properly as well, but all in it sounds like that area

My daughter didn't have stones but her GB was not working so they removed it.

She like you was in A&E on morphine all the time so now she has to do a build up effect to try and get relief.

Amitriptylne 50mg at night, Tramadol 50 mg at night or 100 depends how bad then Oramorph at intervals Close through the day, and paracetamol every 4 hrs so there is a constant building of medication for pain relief, it helped for 3 days no A&E hot baths help and mint tea.

Hope all goes well for you

• Posted

First of all advice on the Tramadol.

Read all posts about Tramadol.

Do not touch it unless you are prescribed it and even then be very careful.

I have been given it and refuse to take it now.

I am better on Oramorph.

I had gallstones 2 yeas ago and I did not fit any of the usual categories either.

I had my gallbladder removed.

Hope you manage to get to the bottom of this.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

Hi Krystle, it does sound like gallstones but if the ultrasound doesn't show anything then your doctor should refer you to a gastroenterolgist who will get further tests done. 

I didn't fit the typical categories either when they thought I had gallstones but I ended up with a gallbladder not working properly.

You shouldn't really be taking another persons medication, I know they do prescribe tramadol for this as they were going to give it to me but decided on cocodamol instead.

Good luck with the ultrasound and let me know how you get on.

• Posted

thank you all.

I have had this pain for 4 or 5 months and have tried all the usual trapped wind relief as that'd what I thought it was. Cocodamol does not work even using it throughout the day for a build up of pain relief. I'll be making an appointment tomorrow morning to ask about oramorph as my auntie who is a nurse has suggested that being the next step

again thank you for your advice

• Posted

With the Oramorph you will need ondansetron anti sick really helps my daughter

X

• Posted

Pain, nausea and loss of appetite are symptoms of gallstones. Pale coloured stools are a symptom of jaundice along with dark urine and yellowing of skin and whites of eyes. Jaundice can lead to septic shock if not treated. You do not necessarily have to be overweight to have gallbladder problems. Low fat diet is a good idea. Maybe try to see a doctor as soon as possible just to be on the safe side?
  • Posted

ok. so I have just had my Ultrasound. It is gallstones. Lots of them and my gallbladder is clamped down around them. All the ultrasound tech said was to make an appointment with my GP for 1 weeks time. I assume this is to discuss my options.

Now to sort out the right meds:-)

• Posted

yes, it'll give them time to do the official report and send it to your gp and your gp should then refer you to a gastroenterologist once they've seen you. You can discuss your pain meds then. Depending on your gp some will contact you once they've received the report but make that appointment anyway, you can always cancel it, if they ask you to come in sooner.

Let me know how you get on x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.