Gallstones have been removed, no infection in gallbladder, a bit inflammed, can i keep my gallbladde

Posted , 4 users are following.

Ok so yesterday 5/9/16 i had a procedure called Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP).

My gallbladder inflammed but no infection. All my liver levels are normal now, is it possible to keep my gallbladder? I did have an episode of gallbladder attack after removing the stones(same day). Today so far no attack. Do i keep or get rid of gallbladder? Pros/cons. I hear lots of people after removal of gb still have complications like having to go to bathroom quickly after eating and other stuff. If i change up my diet would i be abld to keep it?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have been told by two different consultant's that when a gallbladder makes stones, it will continue and if you have been symptomatic, it's likely to return. A low fat diet will help but not too low fat, that grows stones. You 'may' be fine for a number of months or even years but it's always a risk it will come back. Also there is the gallbladder cancer risk. I have no idea what the odds are but I just know that there are risks. Best of luck to you.
    • Posted

Hey i just wanted to thank you for your response I never heard the explanations you helped me with, im over trying to keep the gb.  I appreciate that for your reply.  Thank you!!!
  • Posted

Hi Joe I'm waiting for my ERCP but also have stones in the gallbladder. I was told there isn't much choice as once you have stones you will get them again and if caught in bile duct chances are that will happen again also. Which I why they look to remove the gallbladder quite quickly after removing the bile duct stone. Can I ask were you knocked out for ERCP or just sedation??
    • Posted

yea i was totally out and I felt very sore afterward i should have stayed the extra night because i was in terrible pain before the ERCP  and afterward i was in terrible pain, they released me I had 1 slice of toast and a bit of water and then a gall bladder attack i had to go back to er because it was intense pain.  If i had to do it again i would not do anything but relax and not eat anything for 24 - 36 hours, then eat soft fruits or something soft.  But i feel great now still have to get gallbladder removed anyways thanks to this thread im over trying to keep it. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.