Gallstones or diseased gallbladder?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone, I am a 27 yr old male generally in good health. About 4 weeks ago I had initial pain in my right flank and lower right abdomen. My gp sent me to hospital on the day to get a ct scan on my kidneys which showed nothing.

A week after my initial pain I started getting a sharp stitch like pain in my upper right abdomen. At first I didn't know what this could be and continued my life normally. It wasn't until having a for lunch that I realised fat or oily food may be a trigger. Since having the sharp pain in the upper right abdomen I have also experienced bouts of nausea, headaches, lower back pain. Pain on my right shoulder and shoulder blade, constant itchiness feeling the majority of the time and just generally not feeling well.

Since having the curry I have been on a low fat diet and the abdomen pain seems to have subsided slightly but I still don't feel well.

Does anyone recognise these symptoms and are they similar to those of gallstones or a gallbladder which isn't functioning properly?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Steven it sounds all too familiar. You are right to avoid fat and you should alsso reduce sugar too. I had my gall bladder out 6/7 weeks ago and now the nausea has subsided but I still get pain when I eat anything fatty or sugary. The  pain is usually felt right along the bottom of the right hand rib cage. My pain also appears on my left side too even after the op. The surgeon said I have a fatty liver so I am guessing that is also giving me gip. Good luck in getting yours sorted. It  makes a lot of difference.
  • Posted

It definitely sounds like galbadder/gallstones.  My first 2 months before going into ER with attacks. I got them about once a week. Attacks lasted aprox 2 hours. Very painful. Usually woke me up in the middle of the night, with sudden sharp right back pain, then it traveled around to front right rib. Felt like a knife sticking into ur rib.  The did ultra sound and found gallstones, and inflammation, thickening of the GB walls.  I scheduled surgery, and after reading many online forums and groups. Everyone encourages keeping the Gb.  But then I also have read stories of some that have very bad GB and infections. It scares me.  And the last few weeks, I am experiencing constant back and rib pain.  Not full blown attacks, but nagging pains.   I think I am resigning myself to just going with GB surgery.  I even read after having it out, people should do flushes, to cleanse our liver.  Because we still make stones that clog our liver.  So, it doesnt end. I have mixed feelings. But I have consulted with natureopathic. and put me on a regiman of supplements.  Yes, its helping, but it hasnt solved it .  UGH
  • Posted

Thank you guys. I have an ultrasound booked for middle of Jan but it's killing me not knowing. Especially over Xmas. Hopefully it is the gallbladder and nothing more serious. Elizabeth, if they say it's my gallbladder I am having it straight out, don't want to cause further damage to other organs. I hope your surgery goes well and you have a speedie recovery.
    • Posted

Thank You, I have been procrastinating enough. I made Dr appt for next Mon. Plan to gt pre-op appt done, and set up a surgery date.  The pains are not going away, and natural remdies are not working. We got to Mexaco for vacation in Feb. And it scares me to think if I dont get it done before, I will land in some horrible hospital down there!  Best of luck to you steven!  
  • Posted

Yes gallstones.  Keep to a low fat or even no fat diet.

What you need is an ultrasound scan or an MRI scan which will show if you have gallstones.  If you have them get yourself on the operating list to have your gallbladder removed sooner rather than later there is about a 9 month waiting list here in Wales.

I was diagnosed with gallstones Christmas last year and had gallbladder removed at end of April this year. I got in because someone else had cancelled.

Go for it

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah.

• Posted

It does sound like gallstones but I wouldn't hold out hope of getting a diagnosis and the op before Feb. I've been on the waiting list for surgery for 9 weeks already and I'm told I'm going to be waiting another three months. I was admitted to hospital with a nasty bout of Cholecystitis begining of October, have an enlarged gallbladder, multiple stones, inflammation of the bile duct and still have raised LFT's. I was in hospital for nine days and on antibiotics for 2 weeks but since I've been out, I'm just on the list and have to wait and wait. When I was in hospital they told me two months because they wouldn't operate with infection there. Now I'm out, they are in no hurry. Sorry to sound negative but it is classed as a routine op. No matter how much you need it out. :-/
  • Posted

Hi Steven  ... it sounds like you have gallstones; I suffered the same symptoms and had no idea what was causing the problem until one particular flare up was so bad I eventually went to my gp.  She immediately thought it was gallstones and sent me for a scan which showed I had gallstones.  I went on to have a MRI visits to the surgeon who was to remove my gallbladder and finally had it removed last April.  Diet really does play a part and as you've discovered fatty things cause flare ups.  At one point I was not allowed to have anything with fat in it as my liver was being affected.  Cloudy apple juice is supposed to be good for your gallbladder - it helps dissolve gallstones as does apple cider vinegar (with the mother).  On the day of my op I was told I would probably need to always take immodium because diahhorea may become a problem - it doesn't happen to everyone, but for me it did!  The thing is your body does utilise the gallbladder, so although you can manage without one, like me  you may experience other problems (which can be overcome).   Good luck .... sending you best wishes.
  • Posted

Just an update. I went private and had my scan today! They found 3 massive gallstones!! Good news was that nothing else was wrong with the other organs. I will be having my gallbladder out as soon as possible so that I can get on with the rest of my life without pain. I will never take my health for granted again after the pain these have put me through.

Thank you everyone for your comments and advice!

• Posted

Well, at least you now know the cause of your pain.  When you've had your op, however boring it may seem, rest your body and be careful with your diet, especially in those first few weeks.  I couldn't sleep on my right side for a few weeks, but it does settle down.   I still wouldn't dream of having an overly fatty meal, although I now cook with coconut oil, which is a different type of fat.
    • Posted

Thank You for advice!  I had a gallbladder attack last night on Christmas eve, from overindulging on foods, and a prime rib dinner.  That is overload on sick GB. Sent me right back into ER, had IV meds, and got pain under control.. So, I am resigning to getting it out. Because, with or without it, I am going to experience issues. But if its some indigestion , I can deal with it. Its alot better than a GB that is having muscle spasms, and scrutiating pain... AMEN!  
    • Posted

I am with you, I am about at the same point as you. After going to ER for another GB attack.. I am with you, I am ready to get mine out, and get my life back, and even if I have to put up with some indigestion stuff, its better than a gb that spasms from overload... Good Luck to you.. I call my surgeon Monday to book that surgery.. Hoping I dont have a long wait!
    • Posted

I hope you don't have to wait too long Elizabeth, but you will have to really push it.

The waiting list here in Wales is 8 - 9 months

I got in because someone else cancelled but even then I had to wait 4 months.

I went to GP and he wrote to hospital and said I was really struggling and could I be put up the list.  Hospital took no notice of the letter and said they were not putting anyone up the list.

You are not considered to be an emegency unless you become jaundiced.

So I went to another GP in the same practice who sings in the same choir as me.  She was the one who got things moving and within 5 days I got a phone call from hospital saying someone had cancelled and they could do me the next week.

IT'S NOT WHAT YOU KNOW IT'S WHO YOU KNOW.

It should not be like that but that is the reality of it I'm afraid.

So I had my gallbladder removed at end of April.

Still one or two issues with digestion and have recently been diagnosed with a hiatus hernia but this is livable with. Give me this rather than those horrible gallstones any day.

Take care and keep in touch

Praying for you

Sarah xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.