gambling and depression

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi

Been gambling for years and years and could never admit I had a problem.Been to a few meetings and stopped for a few months but always get bored and seem to start back again.

Soon as I got married and had a child I was suppose to be at happiest point of my life but I was at my lowest. Started getting depressed and having 1 or 2 mental health problems (hearing voices) took loads of drugs to cure them and got them sorted and now only take anti depression tablets and been on them for 6 years.All in all I m just generally getting bored and wanting to move away some were warm but don't want to be selfish as I have a little girl now who I have every week end.

Split from my wife and back living with my parents, working in a tidy paid job but most pay days gambling large amounts hoping for the big win so I can just move some were warm.

when motivated I go to the gym for 4to6 months and get in brill shape then comes the crap weather and turn into a slob and don't do nothing after work and always tired.

Friends ask me to go out and do stuff but find excuses not to do stuff and at my lowest thought about suicide a few times but never actually tried.

Can any one relate to this story as no one can tell me what is wrong with me and my family just tells me to give up gambling and i know i should but i m so fricking bored and seem not to have any thing else interesting to do for hobbies

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

My father was a compulsive gambler,because he  found himself in financial difficulties in thel late fifties and sixties.He was a very generous man and wanted the best for his family,but the exact opposite happened.he had no idea how to handle financial affairs. SO he gambled every day.

The end of the story was that everything collapsed around him,and he lost everything,but it affected my mother and myself big time!

My mother finally had to leave although she still loved my father until he died,but it became impossible to cope with the bailiffs and money lenders at the door.

for myself ,it made me lose respect for the first man in my life who I idolised,but watched him destroying himself and EVERY member of his close family

I hope this is a cautionary tale, as unless you live alone ,the repercussions for innocent family members safather died bankrupt although familgoing,and my mother finally left him as the repercussions were so dreadful.

eventuall my mother took her own life,long after the marriage was over.

• Posted

Sorry the message np became scrambled.

i meant to say that the repercussions to the people you are close to(not to yourself) are devastating and life changing for the worse.(that is,if they stay with you) Do go back to AA and try again. Don't want to lecture ,but have been on the other side of this ILLNESS watching someone  losing  everything. And it can be tragic if you let it continue.

• Posted

Forgot to tell you that in 1970 the bank repossessed our beautiful house by holding a public auction and it was sold for £30,000 .Probably what my father owed  at the time.

In 2011 the house was sold for £24,000,000 although it had been redeveloped a couple of times but it was still in a wonderfu location.

That is one good reason to make me seriously depressed ,with good reason I believe!.

• Posted

Sorry to hear about your father's story.

I do think I m a little selfish still carrying on gambling. I know i ve got problems with it but I always find myself depressed and bored and end up gambling.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.