Gastritis and Reflux - Fecal transplant, intestinal flora

Posted , 8 users are following.

There has been a lot of news stories about individuals who suffers from cronic digestive disorders and were near death, but had a fecal transplant and withing days began to make dramatic improvement.  Tell us your story if you have had such a procedure.  According to medical journals, there may be at least 500 different species of gut flora in the normal human digestive system.  Most supplements contain only 5 to 10 different species.  Most of us have taken antibiotics numerous times.  If we kill everything off with an antibiotic, can we ever fully recover on our own? Could this be the root cause of our digestive problems?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sorry predicative text / not brûlée - believe!
    • Posted

By the way - there has been a successful trial of a probiotic in liquid form called symprove at Kings college hospital in London. Have a look on you tube. I have taken symprove for 3 months and it definitely helped my symptoms a lot. I would recommend it as a probiotic as fecal transplants aren't readily available as yet.
    • Posted

Thank you for that information.  I will definitely look into that treatment.  ,John
    • Posted

use google scholar cut and paste, this "wiley" open doc:

: Randomised clinical trial: a liquid multi-strain probiotic vs. placebo in the irritable bowel syndrome – a 12 week double-blind study.

note: if I had reflux, I would also take lozeges of L-Salivarius during a trial.

Claudio

• Posted

Thank you Claudio for sharing that study with us, very helpful information.  I will also research your other posts.  Obviously, you are a wealth of knowledge.
  • Posted

I was thinking about this the other day,look forward to hearing from any one who has  been down this road or has any thoughts - interesting
    • Posted

Recently, scientists have linked a lack of certain gut microbiota species with Parkinson’s disease and even Autism.  I know that when my colon builds up gas, it pushes on my stomach and causes other symptoms.  I am eating a lot more yogurt, but I wonder if any beneficial bacteria actually gets to the large intestine where I need it to break down the carbs. 
  • Posted

It's an interesting topic one that I have researched over the years. I personally don't believe antibotics are the real culprit if so vinegar, chlorine, preservatives, stomach acids would be much more of a concern since we consume them much more often. I also believe that's it's natural as we age to loose much of our beneficial bacteria. However, as the media and companies catch the whif of the benefits of bacteria I think they will be in almost everything from water to candy.
  • Posted

Currently about 500 FMT trials world wide for Clostridium Difficle, UC, crohns, and IBS (currently Sweden is recruiting for IBS). Many DIY world wide as well...brave human meese? But the Chinese have been practicing this for several hundred years...99.9% within family members. The efficacy seems to be most beneficial with healthy family donors... results thus far seem excellent for clostridium difficle, then to a lesser degree but yet good results for Crohns, UC, and IBS. But there are also conflicting results.

Claudio

• Posted

of course you welcome and gracias for the thanks anastasia (I like to listen to anastisia petrik but mostly when she was age 6 to 9)

John asked about if beneficial bactera reaches the colon for carb absorption.....well, hopefully...carbs are primarily digested in the small colon, what escapes to the large colon will get processed via fermentation..and probiotics or plenty of soluable fiber, plus for estra help, fermented plant and dairy foodsThese will boost the number of exisitng good bacteria "Bifidobacterium, Lactobacillus-Enterococcus group, and Ruminococcus group".

It's important carbs are catabolized efficiently before arriving in the small colon if too large, off to the colon.

Claudio

• Posted

can no longer do multi tasking...age? distractions? or?

..small colon can be confused with short bowel...should have used small and large intestine

"Its important carbs are catabolized efficienctly (oral cavity

a amylase) before arriving in the "small intestine", (pancreatic amylase) hydrolyzed to monosaccharides, if not goes to the "large intestine" as waste. this is simplistic.. as there are a host of stuff too lengthy/detail for this thread... Whew...woodshed time. Claudio

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.