Gastritis? Anxiety? Need help

Posted , 2 users are following.

In Oct last year I was given pregabalin for nerve pain, by the end of Nov I was in agony with reflux so I stopped it. Throughout dec I had stomach pain and reflux but I battled through expecting it to heal.

Just after Christmas I had an episode that felt like my whole body was drained in a second, it triggered a panic attack too and I spent the next 5 weeks in bed feeling that horrible feeling every day. At this point my doctor put me on Omeprazole 20mg and that helped with the pains in my chest and back. Symptoms slowly reduced but never left me.

After two months I was still suffering with stomach pains and general discomfort so I decided it must be the Omeprazole and I came off them. I managed 10 days and then had a horrible acid attack. I started them again but two days later got intense vertigo and ended up in a&e and the emergency doctor gave me stemetil which did help, he also told me to double my dose of Omeprazole.

Last week after 4 months of Omeprazole I again decided to try and come off as I was still getting pains and discomfort. After dropping down to 20 for 5 days (and feeling groggy and sick) my doctor told me to stop. Once again all hell broke loose and I was in horrible discomfort. So after only two days I started 20mg again and got very quick relief, but now feel much sicker and more uncomfortable than before. Ive upped to 40mg today and the sickness has reduced but I’m so weak and tired.

I’ve just got my letter from the gastroenterologist after my CT and endoscopy and it says mild gastritis.. which means after months of Omeprazole I still have it and although he calls it mild it impacts my IBS too and I feel awful pretty much 24/7.

What do I do? The doctor is looking at antidepressants now because I’m becoming depressed losing my life to this condition.

Do I up the Omeprazole, do I try something else? My diet is less than FODMAPs, I only drink water, don’t smoke and have lost a stone I didn’t have to lose in the first place.

The feelings in my head, the weakness and the other odd feelings really freak me out and the doctors claim there is no connection to the gastritis but I didn’t have any of them before it.

I have just moved doctors as I didn’t feel the one I had was listening to all of my symptoms which made my health anxiety worse.

I’ve also had a MRI on my brain and spine as well as an ultrasound which all came back clear. I’ve had discomfort everywhere from my head to my penis (🤷‍♂️) since this started and I’ve been assessed by a psychiatrist due to thoughts of ending my life.

What do I do?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

wow ! so sorry you are deeking like this but this sounds so similair to me !! i am on/off imeprazile too as dont know if its makjng it worse or better. have yoh asked them to try a different tablet? i suffer woth feeling vertigo alot too. have you done a stoll sample for helicobactor? i had this and its awful ! it proper screed with your gut xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.