Gastritis for 2 years

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hey guys, a year and a half ago I had an endoscopy that revealed a hiatal hernia and gastritis..

I get severe nausea constantly but I think that's from the reflux and hernia however the gastritis just will not budge. I have constant burning in my stomach and a horrible gnawing pain that just doesn't go away.. I have been on PPis for the whole year and a half and nothing has changed. My doctor is convinced it isn't the stomach acid as she's sure the meds would have settled that.. What the hell is causing it?!

It is every day none stop and really playing on my depression.. I never feel well. I've changed my diet for a year. No alcohol no cigarettes no deep fried food I don't eat tomato garlic or onion I don't drink anything but water.. I don't eat before bed and I make sure I'm keeping my portions small and eat throughout the day.

Anyone have any idea what's going on? I am a possible candidate for HH repair surgery purely because of how bad my symptoms are and I'm so young (21) would this surgery help the gastritis at all?

Thanks

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I think you should ask your GP to refer you to a Consultant. Im sure you are a candidate for HH repair. No one should suffer daily. I know how you feel, Im pretty much the same now and have had reflux for about 15 years. On waiting list for surgery.

Go and see you GP, if she wont refer you, see another GP

Take care

• Posted

I'm already under the care of a consultant but I'm not seeing him again until October but thank you!
  • Posted

Have you tried Coconut oil, it contains Caprylic acid, which may help, probiotics, extra virgin olive oil, Coconut oil is antimicrobial and antifungal, Turmeric, things you think might make it worse have the opposite affect, like people take apple cider vinegar for reflux and swear by it.
    • Posted

If you read reviews of various brands, you'll see that some are considered better than others.  Also possible that certain brands work better for specific people.  Try several.
  • Posted

Hi Abbie i have been suffering with gastritis. I was on 60 mgs lansoprazole and my doctor lowered my dose to 30mgs because he was worried about the side affects. I had been following a strict bland acid free diet but couldnt shift it. After the doctors i was so scared. I went straight to Holland and barret and bought DGL liquorice, aloe vera juice, vitamin b12 complex, slippery elm, manuka honey and probiotics. Within at least a week I was gastritis free and slowly I am introducing new foods. As for the reduction in the lansoprazole, at first I couldn't feel a difference. I have to say though that depression will cause more acid. I kept myself very busy. Lots of days out and kept busy in doors and now I hardly think about my HH and gastritis. Yesterday I had crispy chicken and today I had a small sausage rolls. A few weeks ago I thought I would never be able to do that. Also try the HH massage and the water trick for bringing down the HH. I do it everyday x
  • Posted

oh, abbie... awfully sorry to hear ur story, but i am in the same situation. last year my hh and gastritis were dscovered thru endoscopy. i have been suffering from silent reflux, no gerd or heartburn, just stonach acid shooting straight to my esophagus, throat, nostrils and even ears causing tinnitus and voice hoarseness for 3 years. been on different kinds of ppis since then coz when i stop, acid rebounds with much intensity.like you, i follow a strict diet and sleep wth head elevated on a wedge pillow, but still the weird symptoms of the hh doesnt stop. i am convinced all the horrible feelings are caused by the vagus nerve being pushed or pressed by the hh in the diaphragm. please read about the vagus nerve so you can be informed. try to relax and dont worry so much so as not to produce more acid. i guess we have to live with this hh for life. also reconsider surgery and its side effect after. hope you can be well in some ways.
  • Posted

I've been having similar symptoms for the past year. I have GERD and gastritis, I get nausea many times a day, as well as constant heart palpitations and dizzyness. 

I've seen many doctors and nothing else seems to be wrong with me other than GERD and gastritis, so I'm convinced now that it's generalized anxiety/chronic stress, which would make sense since I've been feeling constant stress and anxiety for years before I first started getting these symptoms. 

I'm not saying that it's "all in your head" or anything, if you have generalized anxiety disorder then your body is constantly pumping adrenaline and other stress hormones through your body which can make you feel very sick all the time. Anxiety also increases your levels of stomach acid, which causes GERD and gastritis and might also explain why PPIs aren't working for you.

So if you have a history of depression or anxiety attacks, or if you're experiencing any other symptoms of generalized anxiety disorder, then you should look into possibly getting treatment for anxiety. I hope everything works out well for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.