Gastritis Pain with Movement or Walking?

Posted , 34 users are following.

Has anyone experienced gastritis pain with movement like walking or brushing your teeth? My upper stomach hurts like stomach is swollen from inside, while walking. Stomach stiffens when brushing teeth etc.

This pain for 4 months have almost disabled me. It all started after taking an antibiotics course. Pain is so severe that it feels like someone is punching you in the upper stomach and it has radiated to back now aswell it hurts so much. I am still trying to figure out whether pain alone without acid or burning a sign of gastritis. Doc was too quick to say its gastritis and didnt explain me whether pain alone and so severe that it has almost disabled me to do any activity which requires some level of force, are gastritis related.

2 likes, 55 replies

55 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I would suggest going to gastroenterologist, and they should run some tests, if you still have your gallbladder it could be pain from that, since it is in your stomach and goes around to the back, gallbladder, or if gallbladder gone, then possibly gallstones in duct, see gastroenterologist as soon as you can........they can do like a mrcp to see what is going on....easy test and blood tests....feel better soon, hang in there
  • Posted

I was a healthy person but after taking antibiotics course for hpylori I am almost disabled becaused it irritated my stomach so much that even slight movements aggravate my pain, I can feel the pain when walking each step triggers pain sometimes, like your stomach is swollen from inside and hitting something inside.

I never had problems with my gallbladder, ultrasound reports and blood test are normal. My pain is more towards left and middle but ofcourse when pain worsens the whole upper abdomin stiffens and hurts like someone punched you.

• Posted

Anyone?
    • Posted

I was dx with gastritis and sliding hiatus hernia after an endoscopy, I am on ppi (prescription prilosec) I take this before I eat, and Iam trying to be verycareful what I eat, I think a proton pump inhibitor, like prilosec or such, may help you, my stomach still has pains in it, and i have felt exreme pain episodes in past, middleof stomach,with throwing up and nausea, I still feel queasy a lot of times in stomach, but it is better than before, I am trying to be very careful what I eat, trying to eat healthy, drinking lots of water, my episodes that were bad, were really bad, had to lie down on the bed, in fetal style.till it passed, an awful nausea proceded it, and sometimes vomiting..I do take the prescription prilosex now, before I eat anything, seems to help, last super intense pain as described above was in november, still gets uncomfortable, and still have pain sometimes with what I eat, but at least better than before  talk to you talk about the ppi meds and maybe something else, brat diet may help banans, rice, applesauce, dry toast, until your tummy starts feel better.  I hope you feel better, soon!
    • Posted

Did you feel increase in pain with walking or moving?
  • Posted

My pain is with me all the time and slight walking or doing anything aggravates it. I dont have burning but severe pain in upper stomach.
  • Edited

This is  an old thread, but there's no harm in replying. I contracted C Difficile (an awful bacterial infection in the colon) last year, and was left with IBS and otherwise very similar symptoms to yours. All my scans and tests have come back normal. The FODMAP diet has helped immensely, but the pain persists. Too much movement and/or walking causes stabbing, wrenching, and twisting pain just  under my ribs all the way across my upper abdomen. If I don't stop and rest, then the pain progresses down my abdomen.

Another weird symptom I have is, if I eat and then do errands or something similar, the pain is worse. Or if I do errands, I can't eat for a while after, sometimes for the rest of the day. It's like my body's ticked off I'm asking it to do regular human things, like exist. It all makes me tired and fatigued pretty much all the time.

I've been dealing with this for over a year, and it's totally debilitating. I haven't been able to work since I got sick. IBS is a bs diagnosis, for the record. All of the doctors I've seen have said it's nerve pain, but won't or can't say anything else. Or do anything else. I'm to see a neurologist later this week, and hopefully they can give me a diagnosis or offer something better than "Follow this diet and be careful." 

I hope you're feeling better, and/or have gotten a diagnosis! Or if not, at least able to cope with it. Cheers ~

• Posted

Thanks for replying, I have not been diagnosed with anything yet. The pain is still there and I cant do any physical activity because of that. I did not have any diarrhea. What were your symptoms for C.Diff? And how was your C.Diff diagnosed?
    • Posted

C Diff symptoms are basically really bad stomach flu symptoms - bad diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, dehydration, etc. I was diagnosed via a stool culture, and then after over a month of antibiotics the culture finally came back negative.

Do you have symptoms other than the pain, like reduced appetite or other GI-related things, headaches, or fatigue?

I just got a message from my GI doctor saying that from a GI perspective there's no disability, which is probably the most frustrating thing I've ever heard, yet it's somehow enlightening?? I don't know.

My GI doctor said I have visceral hypersensitivity in my last visit, which is central to a variety of nervous system related conditions and disorders. And my therapist has mentioned centralised sensitivity syndrome, which is essentially the same thing, with different words. Unfortunately, I don't think doctors really know what to do when the nervous and/or immune systems can't self-soothe.

• Posted

Yes it was so painful that I lost my appetite, fortunately eating didnt cause me any direct pain but it was so painful and sore feeling and every movement like walking etc was aggravating pain that appetite was very low. I was a very healthy and active person my pain started after harsh antibiotics, I even find it difficult to breathe in the morning when waking up sometimes. Lost a lot of weight because of not eating, since movement aggravates pain so I dont like doing anything its painful. But my bowel movements are normal. Sometimes it feels like its not my stomach but diaphragm and upper stomach area hurts so much exactly like when you get punched or kicked by someone.

I always thought it might be pancreatitis since doctors at first were suspecting that but pancreatitis does not continue like this atleast not the type of way it is with me, pancreatitis does not cause pain with movement unless you are having an acute attack. So I believe in my case it could be nerve and muscles related but I dont know if there are any tests to check that.

• Posted

Hi,

I have been following your thread for a while and just want to let you know that I am experiencing a lot of your symptoms. I have been suffering now for just under 3 years and had all the tests!!! It has recently been put to me by an Acupuncturist that this is possible the Vegas Nerve and has been treating me like wise and although I am very sceptical I was finding some improvement but because my symptoms come and go and move about it has been difficult to decide if it is the treatment or I am having a good few hours/day!!!!  With this said I have had no treatment for 2 weeks and my symptoms seem to have returned with vengeance!!!

I was originally diagnosed with mild gastritis after my first Endoscopy but sub- sequent Endoscopy showed no sign of any Gastritis but symptoms still persist.  I can be sitting or moving about perfectly normally and all of a sudden I will get a pain on my last left rib which can last from minutes to hours and then it can pop up anywhere. I have constant headaches, blurred vision and the feeling that I am going to faint.

Anyway that's enough about me I just wanted you to know you are not alone and it might be worth you investigating acupuncture!!!.

Don't give up !!

• Posted

Thank you. Mine is aggravated by movement and is always there but intensity changes throughout the day. I can do any physical work, even walking is difficult and it touches or aggravates the pain. Even brushing teeth touches and sometimes aggravates the pain. 
    • Posted

I meant I can't* do any physical work.

• Posted

i have the exact same things...have you checked your celiac artery with CT angiography??please reply any moment

• Edited

i have been suffering from this pain for 4 years now and it's very frustrating/depressing, been to couple of hospitals with the same diagnosis (acute gastritis) have tried diff procedures: ultrasound, ctscan, endoscopy/biopsy, blood work etc. doctors keep saying everything is normal and nothing to worry about 😦 in on a healthy diet for years i quit smoking, drinking.. all the bad stuff but the pain wont go away, i just dont know what to do anymore i just want to live a normal.

• Posted

If your pain is purely from gastritis then it will heal someday. Have you tested yourself for SIBO and Hpylori. Stomach bacteria might also be the culprit that you maybe not healing. Try natural remedies like Yogurt, Psyllium Husk, Mastic Gum etc to protect your stomach lining. Try going on less acidic and liquid diet for few months. Drink bone broth everyday.

Is your pain aggravated with movement?

• Posted

How long did it take to recover. I have same symptoms in the original post. Doc said it is gastritis. I have horrible reactions to ppis and antacids so I am taking sucralfate. When does appetite return, I can barely eat anything. Exercise makes pain worse,

• Edited

I was not diagnosed with Gastritis, I don't have any burning but pure pain exactly like a severe internal muscle knot or the pain you feel when you get punched in the stomach unbearable. Following are my symptoms, respond if you feel the same

• Severe Upper left and upper middle stomach pain

• Pain feels like:

• a) Like someone punched you in your solar plexus and you are out of breath and in pain

• b) like a severe cramp but only in upper left stomach

• c) sometimes feels like a ball of pain is inside

• d) Deep breathing causes pain

• e) any sudden movements or doing light activity as brushing teeth or walking aggravates pain

• f) stomach feels like its falling

• g) whole stomach sac on left side feels painful and sore upon taking deep breath but upon pressing stomach its not painful but rather gives a slight cramp like feeling in stomach and feels like internal muscle might be in spasm

• h) not being able to do any physical activity because of this pain

• i) Pain feels like pancreatitis as it involves back as well (but so far my tests didnt show any pancreatic involvement at all)

• j) not being able to eat much because of pain

• k) sleeping in certain position aggravates the pain next morning

• l) Standing straight and walking gives severe upper left stomach cramp and muscles clenches and forces me to hold my upper left abdominal muscle exactly under ribcage

• m) I DO NOT have Burning at all.. just pain and so much pain that it has clenched and involved every muscle on upper left and upper middle stomach even talking and taking deep breath touches the pain.

• Posted

After continuing reading I have the same exact symptoms! Nothing more nothing less. How sleeping wrong makes it worse, little things such as walking, deep breathing, or showering leave me breathless. I thought it was something with my diaphragm as well. I was diagnosed with gastritis but this pain is constant and never goes away.You are the only person who I've found who had posted about the same kind of pain. Please share what your diagnosis was and what helped heal it. Thank you so much.

• Posted

me too....any updates??how are you dealing with it now??have you checked your celiac artery with CT angiography??please reply any moment

• Posted

Hi, I have all the same symptoms as you described in your post. Just wondering did you ever find the cause? Are you better now?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.