Gastro reflux disease for 4 years & still ill

Posted , 9 users are following.

My names Emma and I am 17 years old, I want to tell everyone my story on gastro reflux disease.

I've had gastro reflux disease since I was 13 years old, all throughout GCSE's and now through college, I am in so much pain, I am out of breath, weak, I don't want to eat, I have no energy and I have pains in my chest and my upper stomach, since going to my gp from the age of 13 they was no help, neither was all the hospitals I visited, they said 'it's stress from school' I was only diagnosed with GORP or whatever it's short name is a year ago, when I finished school.

They have given me High dosage from 40mg -60mg a day, and they haven't worked, I am fine for 2 weeks then bed ridden for 4-7 weeks, I have no comfort from laying in a certain position I can't get these pains to go, I cant do anything. It comes and stays the pain never goes.

The only way I can ease the pain is from hot water bottle, which got so bad at one point I burnt all of the skin under my chest area from having the hot water bottle too hot and long on my skin, even from taking multiple tablets for it as well as had to re book my gastroscopy (camera down the throat) 3 times because the places they send me too can't do my age as I'm under 18.

I have kept myself at the same weigh 8stone 6 from when I was young I haven't changed, and I have a very good diet, no foods start it, the symptoms just come when they want. The top of my bed is higher by 8 inches and I'm still getting the acid causing problems in my mouth and throat. I'm sick to death and so ill, I can't do anything.

It's ruining my life, please can anyone help me? Has anyone got anything that can help?

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Oh emma you poor thing my darling. I understand completely what you are going through.

Would you say you suffer from anxiety? Anxiety certainly doesnt help but its difficult to say what comes first because reflux can cause anxiety and anxiety causes reflux. My reflux improved when i started lexapro 10mg. Ive been on this for nearly 2 yrs. Dgl licorice and licorice tea helps me as well.

You could try d limonene as well, thats meant to have helped a lot of GERD sufferers.

Have u had the camera down yet to see whats going on? You might have a hiatus hernia. You also need to know if u have helicobactor pylori? This is a bacteria that can cause reflux.

Stool tests can also rule out parasites and its worth have food allergy tests. I recently tested for lactose intolerance and fructose intolerance. Im next testing for SIBO (small intestinal bacteria overgrowth). Im convinced i have this!!!

Theres a lot of info here and you need to find a good doc who is willing to explore these avenues.

Good luck hun.

Feel free to ask me any questions.

Dominique

• Posted

Thankyou so much!! And no I booked but got told I couldn't have it done because I was under 18, going in to the doctors tomorrow to get myself re booked in for the camera thing, which I'll have to wait for!

I don't think I have anxiety, I'm a very cheerful and confident person, and smiling and happy so when I do feel ill it's like a completely different person!!!

I Am anemic as well, so I do eat licorice and have iron tablets but that doesn't improve anything.

I haven't spoken to my gp yet about surgeries or anything other then the camera as even though I've had it for years for some reason it's been left on a 'nothing's wrong with me' and it has taken ages for me to just get the camera done, Thankyou for your message!!

• Posted

Emma I have to ask where do you live? It's awfully weird that they won't give you the procedure just because your not 18.

• Posted

I live in Rochford - Southend area & the private hospital was on in between chalk well and Leigh on sea and I know I got a call the day before, I couldn't believe they didn't know my age untill the day before I was going to have it done after waiting for ages and hoping I was going to find out what's wrong with my stomach I don't know what's going on to be fair.

• Posted

Hi Emma,

From your writing and comments, it seems like you're in Europe.

I'm in California and I'm 21.

The first paragraph where you describe your symptoms of just not being able to live happily.. I went through that for a few weeks to a month (thankfully). I went from 110 to 98 lbs. because I couldn't eat and I never made plans to see my friends because I was nauseous all the time.

I still have symptoms now but most days I get through without them or with just an attack that lasts for 10-20 minutes usually at night or when I eat bad food and I feel the effects of it for the rest of the day, sometimes even through the next day. Also before I'm about to start my period, I get really bad symptoms for a few days.

The medications I've tried that worked best on me (not prescribed and all taken at different times in this journey) were Prilosec, probiotic supplements, and Evodia tea extract. I'm also currently trying the carbonated water thing a man named John/Jonathan wrote about in this forum. I also eat Manuka Honey because it's supposed to be good for your esophagus since the acid inflames it.

This is just what worked for me, so hopefully it helps you in some way or another!

Good luck!! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.