GB attacks

Posted , 5 users are following.

Just wondering how long it took other people to have an attack after eating bad foods? It's been about 4-5ish hours since I've eaten and now I'm having an attack (no fun, curled up with a heating pad but it's not helping - my neck hurts too, breathing is starting to hurt now). 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

My experience was attacks could happen anytime the ones I had that I think were food related were something like 30 mins after.

Most of my attacks though were due biliary colic and the movement of the stones themselves (either blocking or trying to pass through a duct) they could happen at anytime and last between 3 and 12 hours. I had two what I thought were attacks but in fact turned out to be gallbladder infections requiring anti biotics. So if the pain persists more than a few hours I'd say check with your doctor.

Best Wishes

• Posted

Thank you for telling me this! My first ever attack was about 30 minutes after eating and lasted all day (and progressively got worse, which ended up with me in the hospital and getting my gallstones diagnosis). After that, the attacks I've had just seemed to happen a few hours afterwards so I believe it's just the stones since some have happened after sticking to my safe foods. 

• Posted

Have you tried Buscopan for pain? I was prescribed it but it is an over the counter IBS medication. According to my GP it's the best medication they have for gallbladder pain and it did help me during some attacks. With the biliary colic nothing helped (apart from morphine) until the stone moved itself. I found regular painkillers didn't really do anything but personally I choose to avoid Ibuprofen completely because of its harshness on the stomach lining.

Best wishes

• Posted

I get Buscopan on prescription. Taking 8 a day.

Sarah

• Posted

I haven't been prescribed/taken anything for pain. I noticed that my normal OTC aspirin med did irritate my stomach slightly. I'll see about looking into it.

• Posted

Hi! It varies. Sometimes I’d have an attack an hour after eating. My last attack happened at 2:30am but I’d eaten at 7:30pm. They can last from 30 minutes to 4 hours.  Taking an 800 mg Ibuprofen helped me a lot. Hope you feel better
    • Posted

I'll try asking for some pain killers. My safest way of trying to dull the pain is a heating pad and being curled up on my left side.

• Posted

I think my gb attacks were almost immediately after eating.

Stay off fatty food.

Had gallstones and had gallbladder removed 3 years ago.

Sarah

• Posted

HI Jamie...Depending on what you eat it can take longer, but actually anytime you eat you could have an attack & they can progressively get worse, stones can move around so you could potentially get pain(gas can be an issue too) anytime...sounds like you are suffering I have been there, my husband too...have you talked to the doctor about taking it out? I had multiple stones, was having bad attacks ended up in hospital, I wanted it out before a stone got stuck or moved into a place making it an emergency or bigger issue, my husband went 10yrs w/o diagnoses until he was blacking out from pain, then they did surgery, it was the worst the surgeon had ever seen...dont let this ruin your life, at least see if you have options, nobody should have to suffer like that...Best Wishes💟Hope you can get a solution one way or another...if surgery isnt an option ask your Dr. to help treat your symptoms effectively

• Posted

I've seen my regular doctor and a surgeon already but at the time I had met the surgeon, I wasn't dealing with any pain, just other symptoms (burping, bloating, occasional nausea) so they have me for another check up at the end of June to see what they can do but surgery is always an open option. It's not always bad because my attacks aren't frequent but they do suck when they happen sad They also want to be careful because I do have asthma and I'm at a younger age.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.